Filtered from Fermenter to Bottling Bucket.. ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
I bottled a Red IPA sunday, and it did not go as I would have hoped.

I dry hopped 2oz of hop pellets directly into the fermenter 10 days prior, which created a lot of extra floaties in the beer. When I tried to siphon it never got going. I must have tried to get it started a dozen times, but apparently it was getting too much junk in the line to keep the flow going. (side note, i will be purchasing an auto siphon)

So, heres what i did.. I sanitized a funnel (red, had a white grate inside to filter out chunks of stuff) and then put a mueslin bag inside the funnel. I then scooped saucepans full of beer (my priming sugar pan worked well) into the bag/funnel and it was filtered into the bottling bucket. the bag had quite a bit of sediment when i was done.

I then went about my business of bottling and it has been conditioning for a few days now.

My two concerns are 1) I filtered the yeast out and now it wont carbonate and 2) I may have introduced too much oxygen during the process.

Anyone have any thoughts on my concerns, or see any other problems I may have introduced?

Thanks!

You will have plenty of yeast, so I wouldn't worry about that. When you poured it, was it splashing or were you able to keep it submerged? Even if you did introduce a bunch of oxygen, it isn't the end of the world though, just won't be what it could have been. As long as everything was sanitized, I don't see any real problems.

Was your siphon picking up from the very bottom of the fermenter? After dry hopping for 10 days, all hops would definitely have settled out. I've dry hopped with triple that for half the time and never had hop particles still floating around.

I would say you introduced a ton of oxygen, I would just drink it fast once it carbs and learn for the next time. :mug:

Back