Rogue Dead Guy - Which Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Ok, the obvious answer is Pacman. But in researching a recipe, it got me thinking...Dead Guy is a maibock/helles bock, correct? Did they (Rogue) use Pacman yeast because a clean ale yeast is easier to use than a more traditional maibock yeast?

I guess my real question is how representative of the style is Dead Guy? If I am going for the style, should I use a different yeast?

Dead guy is a hybrid style. It's malt profile is made to resemble that of a maibock, but it's hopped more aggressively, like an ale, and fermented with pacman yeast (an ale yeast)

Why they do this? I'm not sure. I doubt it's due to the "difficulty" of fermenting it like a lager (which wouldn't be an issue for a brewery like them - or any brewery for that matter)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry... Just re read the op

If you want to brew a maibock, you need to use a lager yeast and noble hop. I like dead guy a lot (probably the beer that got me into craft beer), it's not a representation of the bjcp style due to its hybrid style.

To brew a maibock, I'd recommend a German bock yeast. Big pitch, temp control, and long enough lager for the bigger beer.

If you want to be to style, you use the proper yeast for it. If you want to clone a beer, you use the yeast they used. You decide which.

If you want to be to style, you use the proper yeast for it. If you want to clone a beer, you use the yeast they used. You decide which.

I guess that's what I figured. I reread my post and it didn't really make that much sense. I was basically asking the community what I would prefer.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that rogue couldn't handle a lager. My poorly-written question was meant to ask if they were brewing an ale for other reasons like less fermenting time and lagering time. They can get it out the door faster, which is certainly desirable.

Thanks guys.

I used good ol' US-05, brewed at 60-62 for 2 weeks (sorry, not a gravity guy), and turned out delightful! Just popped a keg of this tonight, brewing another 5 gal tomorrow.

Back