dead airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm brewing a California Common kit from AHBS. It's my 1st attempt at using lager yeast, at room temps. It's 5 days in primary now, and had a good, vigorous fermentation. There was a pretty bad sulfur smell, but I'm told that is normal. Now that the fermentation has stopped, the airlock has zero pressure. the cap that sits over the tube is just sitting there, resting on the tube. All of my other brews have kept enough pressure to at least push the cap up to the top of the air lock. Should I be concerned?

Hi all, I'm brewing a California Common kit from AHBS. It's my 1st attempt at using lager yeast, at room temps. It's 5 days in primary now, and had a good, vigorous fermentation. There was a pretty bad sulfur smell, but I'm told that is normal. Now that the fermentation has stopped, the airlock has zero pressure. the cap that sits over the tube is just sitting there, resting on the tube. All of my other brews have kept enough pressure to at least push the cap up to the top of the air lock. Should I be concerned?

No. It's fine. It's probably about done, but needs another 5-10 days to clean up some of the off-flavors produced during fermentation. I really like California Common, but it needs a little extra time in the fermenter after it's finished.

Back