DC Area Group Buy #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will 25 lbs of rice hulls fit in an empty 55lb 2 row sack? I can imagine the 50 lbs sack is huge!

Will 25 lbs of rice hulls fit in an empty 55lb 2 row sack? I can imagine the 50 lbs sack is huge!

The 50# "sack" is compressed and hard, like a bale of hay. Once you open it, it blooms. You may need the volume of two 55# sacks to store 25# of it. Bring yours if you have it, and if a second is needed we're likely to have a spare from the other splits. Don't worry. :mug:

Tony said that 3 Stars only has May 24 and May 31 available for us, and he himself was hinting toward the 31st to circumvent Memorial Day weekend.

Yup...we are doing May 31st so if that is a problem, please make arrangements. I am happy to pickup and store grain for a few people for a reasonable amount of time.

This buy will close at midnight, Friday 23 May 2014. All funds are due at that time. Order will be placed 24 May and will be available for pickup at 3 Stars on 31 May.

Thanks to Frits for keeping things moving while I have been on travel and out of contact!! You rock, my friend!!!!

Stevedasleeve: let me know if you want me to sang your grain for you while you are on travel.

Think I got all caught up on email request for the list. If I somehow missed ya, please PM me again and I will get it right to ya. Cheers all!!

Stevedasleeve: got your PM...will snag your 3 sacks for ya and keep them at the house.

Reddskinnd fan I might take you up on that I am supposed to work the 31st and would hate to miss out on this buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can someone send me the buy link? I changed phones and can't find the original email from Tony. Need to check things as I might need a few more sacks.

Drop the Honey Malt for me. I also no longer need the Acidulated Malt (picking up some acid) or Smoked Wheat (not interested after tasting a beer made with it).

Drop the Honey Malt for me. I also no longer need the Acidulated Malt (picking up some acid) or Smoked Wheat (not interested after tasting a beer made with it).

So noted.

With this change, the following splits are open:
  • 10# Weyermann Acidulated
  • 5# Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat
  • 30# Gambrinus Honey Malt
  • 15# Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat
  • 5# Flaked Corn

Also, Gambrinus Honey Malt is looking for a primary buyer.

Just found out that I will be having surgery on the 23rd... I will unable to lift anything heavy for 2 weeks. I can still help with splits, etc, but am going to need help getting stuff into my vehicle. Hope you guys can assist.

Just found out that I will be having surgery on the 23rd... I will unable to lift anything heavy for 2 weeks. I can still help with splits, etc, but am going to need help getting stuff into my vehicle. Hope you guys can assist.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it all goes well and smoothly. No lifting kettles and kegs for you either. :tank:

I'll help with the schlepping, no problem.
And with 70 splits on the list we can certainly use your help one way or another.

Alright, I'll grab the loose 20lbs of Smoked wheat. If you move your 10lb smoked wheat claim onto the bag owned by peter78 and move one of the 5lb claims by either shoshin or res291que onto the one owned by novahokie09, it will simplify payment of the splits.

And while I'm at it, I might as well adopt the honey malt and take 10lbs. C'mon guys, no one else wants to try making a honey/smoked oak wheat beer?

Alright, I'll grab the loose 20lbs of Smoked wheat. If you move your 10lb smoked wheat claim onto the bag owned by peter78 and move one of the 5lb claims by either shoshin or res291que onto the one owned by novahokie09, it will simplify payment of the splits.

And while I'm at it, I might as well adopt the honey malt and take 10lbs. C'mon guys, no one else wants to try making a honey/smoked oak wheat beer?

Thank you for taking some of the slack!

OK, moved the smoked wheat around, as you said, to keep the splits simpler. And you've claimed the remaining 20# of it.

10# of Honey malt added. 20# left.

A few of us grabbed Honey malt in a previous buy and we're stocked up. But it's great malt to add some subtle honey-like sweetness, so for you who don't have it yet, don't miss out. Don't know when it's gonna be back on the splits list after this event.

30# of splits to go:
  • 5# Weyermann Acidulated
  • 20# Gambrinus Honey
  • 5# Flaked Corn - Great for Saisons too, dry em out.

Heads up that though the splits sheet says that I'm the primary buyer on the honey malt, it has not been reflected on the 'May Order' sheet yet.

I'm going to be out of the country that weekend and until June 4th. Is there anyone who wouldn't mind grabbing my order for me? I'll probably just get a single 50lb bag and maybe try and get on a couple splits. I'm located in Rockville, so if you're nearby that'd be even more awesome. Otherwise I'll just have to wait for the next round.

Thanks!

Thanks stonebrewer!

In that case, I'll take a sack of Rahr 2 Row (RAH1002).

Did anyone on the PBW split take more than they want to help close the split? I'd be happy to take 5 lbs. I'm assuming there's not enough interest to open another?

Thanks stonebrewer!

In that case, I'll take a sack of Rahr 2 Row (RAH1002).

Did anyone on the PBW split take more than they want to help close the split? I'd be happy to take 5 lbs. I'm assuming there's not enough interest to open another?

I don't really need my 5# split of pbw now. So you can take my split if that works

• Added sack of 2-row for joshindc.
  • Switched 5# of PBW from Ldobbs66 to joshindc. Very kind of you!

I didn't realize this until yesterday.

The same day we have our pickup scheduled, on the 31st, the MD Craft Beer Festival (BAM) in Frederick starts at 12 noon. I'm planning to go there, but haven't worked out all the logistics yet. I may even take the BAM bus from Heavy Seas.

Is anyone else going there? Any suggestions on how to get around this?

The same day we have our pickup scheduled, on the 31st, the MD Craft Beer Festival (BAM) in Frederick starts at 12 noon. I'm planning to go there, but haven't worked out all the logistics yet. I may even take the BAM bus from Heavy Seas.

I don't think I'll go. Wifey is out of town and I'm most likely stuck with the kids unless I can convince MIL to take one of them. I was actually thinking about taking my 3-yr old to help with the splits etc. but I'm dreading the long-a$$ car ride from WV to DC...

I am planning on going to the festival. I think I was just going to pick up grain and then drive over later. I guess it's just over an hour to get from 3 Stars to Frederick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I will be going to the BAM festival. I live in Frederick and will be heading straight up from the grain pickup at 3 Stars. Ed

Had surgery early, so probably will be able to help more out on splits and carrying than I expected! Still deciding whether or not to get another couple bags...

Had surgery early, so probably will be able to help more out on splits and carrying than I expected! Still deciding whether or not to get another couple bags...

Good to hear you're done early. Hope you're feeling OK.
You got more than a week to decide on adding more grain, and you probably should :D

:mug:

Frits, do you ever feel like the pusher man?

Sounds like we should go back to our early pickup time. Probably wouldn't be much in 3 Stars growler sales with folks heading to the Brewfest

I second having an early splits/pickup time, so that I can get back up to Frederick for the BAM festival at Noon. I can only stay at the festival until 3 or so, graduation party at 4.... Too much stuff happening this time of year! ;-) Can we work that out Tony?

Frits, do you ever feel like the pusher man?

Sounds like we should go back to our early pickup time. Probably wouldn't be much in 3 Stars growler sales with folks heading to the Brewfest

Always pushing something, yes. Or pulling (like teeth). And no, I'm not a dentist. :D

I second having an early splits/pickup time, so that I can get back up to Frederick for the BAM festival at Noon. I can only stay at the festival until 3 or so, graduation party at 4.... Too much stuff happening this time of year! ;-) Can we work that out Tony?

3 Stars opens at 10am, but last time I was early, and they let me in. I had all the sacks sorted before the troops arrived. So, not counting on miracles each time, the earliest we can get started would be 10 am. We have 60+ splits to do and 40 sacks to move... We won't be out of there until noon, unless we tailor first to those who want to leave at 11.

I hereby raise my hand slowly... if I'm able to make it at all.

Always pushing something, yes. Or pulling (like teeth). And no, I'm not a dentist. :D

3 Stars opens at 10am, but last time I was early, and they let me in. I had all the sacks sorted before the troops arrived. So, not counting on miracles each time, the earliest we can get started would be 10 am. We have 60+ splits to do and 40 sacks to move... We won't be out of there until noon, unless we tailor first to those who want to leave at 11.

I hereby raise my hand slowly... if I'm able to make it at all.

I'll also try to be there this time but as said earlier, I might have to bring my 3-year old with me. She *loves* playing with grains so maybe she'll be a productive lil' helper?

Back