DC Area Group Buy #10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone interested in some Briess 2-Row Caramel 10L 50 lb ?

I'm thinking about starting a split of it.

Frits, Can you update my split order for Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) from 10lbs to 15lbs.

Also i'm going to start a split on

BRI1033 Briess 2-Row Caramel 10L 50 lb - 15lbs
And
WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.) - 15lbs

Frits, Can you update my split order for Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) from 10lbs to 15lbs.

Also i'm going to start a split on

BRI1033 Briess 2-Row Caramel 10L 50 lb - 15lbs
And
WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.) - 15lbs

Upped your Biscuit to 15#
Added new split ==> Briess Caramel 10L ==> 15# for you
Added new split ==> Wey CaraMunich I ==> 15# for you

I'll jump in on 5# of the CaraMunich I!

I was looking for CaraVienna but couldn't find it so CM sounds like a nice alternative.

Added 5# of CM I for you.

According to AHB's grain list, Dingemans CaraVienne (also named Cara20) is 19-27L, a bit lighter than Weyermann's CaraMunich I (30-38L).

Dingemans CaraMunich (also named Cara45) is 40-54L, comparable in color to Weyermann's CaraMunich II (42-49L).

Aside from color, there will be aroma and taste differences of course.

I've always used Dingemans Caravienne and CaraMunich together in Saisons. Gives it a nice color and subtle body. I'm sure they contribute flavor complexities too, but hard to tell them apart in a Saison.

Upped your Biscuit to 15#
Added new split ==> Briess Caramel 10L ==> 15# for you
Added new split ==> Wey CaraMunich I ==> 15# for you

Added 5# of CM I for you.

According to AHB's grain list, Dingemans CaraVienne (also named Cara20) is 19-27L, a bit lighter than Weyermann's CaraMunich I (30-38L).

Dingemans CaraMunich (also named Cara45) is 40-54L, comparable in color to Weyermann's CaraMunich II (42-49L).

Aside from color, there will be aroma and taste differences of course.

I've always used Dingemans Caravienne and CaraMunich together in Saisons. Gives it a nice color and subtle body. I'm sure they contribute flavor complexities too, but hard to tell them apart in a Saison.

Well, I thought it would be the closest anyway :) It's always good to learn something new so cheers!

Frits,

I have some changes/additions, too.... Sorry, bud!

Please modify:

10# of Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb 10# of Crisp Crystal 60L 25 kg (55 lb)
15# of Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) to 10# of Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
15# of Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 25 kg (55 lb) to 10# of Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 25 kg (55 lb)

Please add:

10# of Weyermann CaraMunich I

Frits,

I have some changes/additions, too.... Sorry, bud!

Please modify:

10# of Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L 50 lb 10# of Crisp Crystal 60L 25 kg (55 lb)
15# of Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) to 10# of Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
15# of Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 25 kg (55 lb) to 10# of Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 25 kg (55 lb)

Please add:

10# of Weyermann CaraMunich I

All changes and additions implemented. Please double check.

Ill get in on some of the splits, i'll take;

10# caramunich WEY1031 I from the J1N split number 12
10# caraaroma WEY1063 from ovenfreshbread split number 7

Does anyone know if three stars has roasted barley for sale in there grain selection? I don't even want to consider starting a split on roasted barley.

Ill get in on some of the splits, i'll take;

10# caramunich WEY1031 I from the J1N split number 12
10# caraaroma WEY1063 from ovenfreshbread split number 7

Added, thank you.

Does anyone know if three stars has roasted barley for sale in there grain selection? I don't even want to consider starting a split on roasted barley.

We had a Crisp Roasted Barley split in buy #7 (March 2014). Some took 10-15# of it. I'm quite sure they haven't run out yet. I still have most of my 5#.

They do. I bought a lb from them last group buy.

I'd like to start a split for WEY1067 Weyermann® D-Husked Carafa III® 25 Kg (55 Lb.) I'd like 10lbs
BRI1033 Briess 2-Row Caramel 10L 50 lb I'd like 10lbs

Remember if anyone wants to pick up some buckets before the next pick up just PM me.

Off-topic:

I am getting closer to completion of one of the prototype brewstands. Just a few more welds, a little grinding/priming, then it's time for mounting the plumbing, burners and casters.

Here are some pics showing length, height and storage capabilities.

I know some of you were interested in possibly getting one. Based upon materials, time and what configurations you want, the price will range from $800-$1000, depending on stand type (single- or triple-tier stand), how much you want already completed (whether you want it plumbed and/or burners mounted, with or without wind guards), and any special requests/designs.

Prices would be for the stand, and at most plumbing, burners and wind guards and casters (if those are things you want me to do for you).

Pots, pumps, tubing, fittings, chiller, false bottom and any other brewing related items would be your responsibility and are not included..

Length, height and depth can be adjusted to your liking (although standard keggle, and MegaPot diameter is 15.5", so I recommend that depth).

I also recommend enough height to store your pots and other brewing items underneath (pump(s) and chiller).

Mounting positions for pump(s) and chiller are a matter of personal preference, so I left those out of these pics, as to not muddy the waters.

These prices are significantly less than stands found online, and could be delivered to you, for the cost of fuel. Stands online require freight shipping, which is outright expensive. You are also stuck with their configurations. No modifications.

1411695398254.jpg

1411695408638.jpg

1411695419997.jpg

I'd like to start a split for WEY1067 Weyermann® D-Husked Carafa III® 25 Kg (55 Lb.) I'd like 10lbs
BRI1033 Briess 2-Row Caramel 10L 50 lb I'd like 10lbs

Remember if anyone wants to pick up some buckets before the next pick up just PM me.

Added.

I wanted to send a big thanks to guy who gave me the nice buckets and stir plate. I'm horrible with names so I apologize for not remembering. I put a 1" 1/2" dia super magnet on the spinner and the stir plate it works great!

I'd be interested in 10# of the Briess Caramel 10L.

Added.

What are you guys using Caramel 10L for, and how much of it in a batch? To add more sweetness without adding much color?

I find many commercial craft beers quite sweet, generally much sweeter than our homebrews. Does their yeast not attenuate as much? I asked some brewers and they swear they don't under attenuate and then filter the yeast out.

Added.

What are you guys using Caramel 10L for, and how much of it in a batch? To add more sweetness without adding much color.

I find many commercial craft beers quite sweet, generally much sweeter than our homebrews. Does their yeast not attenuate as much? I asked some brewers and they swear they don't under attenuate and then filter the yeast out.

Since I got on this light pilsner kick this year I wanted to try making a few different Blonde type beers so I figured a lb or so of c10 wouldn't hurt. I used some in a centenial blonde ale as well. Besides aren't we going for a stock of every grain on the list? LOL :D

Since I got on this light pilsner kick this year I wanted to try making a few different Blonde type beers so I figured a lb or so of c10 wouldn't hurt. I used some in a centenial blonde ale as well. Besides aren't we going for a stock of every grain on the list? LOL :D

That sounds like an appropriate use. I usually add a pound of Carapils to keep the beer thicker, but it doesn't add sweetness.

I wasn't aware of the ulterior motive before. :D

I'm using teh c10 for blonde ales and other blonde beers. Mainly BM's Centennial Blonde Ale, i keep getting asked to make more by family members.

I got buckets from Keith today. Awesome hook up!!!!! I'm going to be super organized with these buckets now. Just need new batteries for my label maker.

Also Keith's Bitburger Pilsner is fantastic! could drink that stuff all day long. Had fun talking beer with Keith today.

Jeffc - Bring bags. Don't get those freezer bags, just bring ones you get from the store. Also they probably are too small. If you're getting DME then it might fit 5lbs. If you really need something to hold your grains then contact Keith (Bigbeavk). He will hook you up with buckets (and free beer). I just came home with like 18 or so buckets today.

Are these ziplock bags too small? 450 x 1 Quart bags are $7.50 on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003I2HV7C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

A quart is really too small for grains.

I use (and reuse) mostly 1 gallon Hefty freezer bags, with the blue zipper/slider. They are nicely sized for 5# of grain. 1 gallon Ziplocks also hold 5#. Then in turn, I store those in 19 gallon plastic storage totes.

Now I do use quart zipper bags but just for DME. They hold 1.5# comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:

I use the 10L for IIPAs. Gives some backbone to the beer without being too sweet.

So i just got done organizing my grains with the buckets. I store them in the closet in my office. My garage is maxed out for storage.

Nice and clean. had to use post-its since my label-er is out of juice.

Pics

YsWXRc7.jpg

sRg1qtT.jpg

So i just got done organizing my grains with the buckets. I store them in the closet in my office. My garage is maxed out for storage.

Nice and clean. had to use post-its since my label-er is out of juice.

Pics

YsWXRc7.jpg

sRg1qtT.jpg

Gotta love those buckets from BigBeavK!!

I wanted to send a big thanks to guy who gave me the nice buckets and stir plate. I'm horrible with names so I apologize for not remembering. I put a 1" 1/2" dia super magnet on the spinner and the stir plate it works great!

That would be Keith (Bigbeavk) he's awesome like that!

So, anyone want to share a pic or two of the magnets they used? I have been trying to decide what kind to grab (round or flat bar) and how many I should stack.

You would need 1 pack of these http://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics%C2%AE-Package-Neodymium-Magnets/dp/B00BWTV4M6/ref=sr_1_31?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1410794571&sr=1-31
The distance from the top of the unit to the motor is .531" so you need 2 stacks 1/2" tall and about 1" apart or put them end to end like I did. A real stir plate has about a 1" gap between the magnets. So you can do that by using a drop of super glues if you want or thin dbl face tape.

Since only the center shaft of the motor is magnetic I just put them end to end and it worked fine. Your only using about 200rpm to stir anyway.
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Beerme1/media/Shaker%20Stirplate/PICT0003.jpg.html?o=34
Let me know if this helped,

You would need 1 pack of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWTV4M6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The distance from the top of the unit to the motor is .531" so you need 2 stacks 1/2" tall and about 1" apart or put them end to end like I did. A real stir plate has about a 1" gap between the magnets. So you can do that by using a drop of super glues if you want or thin dbl face tape.

Since only the center shaft of the motor is magnetic I just put them end to end and it worked fine. Your only using about 200rpm to stir anyway.
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Beerme1/media/Shaker Stirplate/PICT0003.jpg.html?o=34
Let me know if this helped,

What size stir you using?

Frits, please put me down for 10lbs of Weyermann® Pale Wheat 25 kg (55 Lb.) WEY1005

What size stir you using?

Most stir bars are listed with metric dimensions but 1 3/4 to 2" long and 5/16" diameter worked just fine for me. Here's one listed below however if you want to get a couple larger ones like 1/2' x 4" they work great to use as weights for hop bags in the fermentor or keg. PTFE bars can go way past boiling temps to keep them sanitized and of course a simple soak in Starzan will do it as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-inch-magnetic-stirrer-bar-stir-mixer-bars-PTFE-New-/330272421718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ce5c53756

Most stir bars are listed with metric dimensions but 1 3/4 to 2" long and 5/16" diameter worked just fine for me. Here's one listed below however if you want to get a couple larger ones like 1/2' x 4" they work great to use as weights for hop bags in the fermentor or keg. PTFE bars can go way past boiling temps to keep them sanitized and of course a simple soak in Starzan will do it as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-inch-magn...718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ce5c53756

Thanks. I found one from Duda Diesel that is 2" x 5/16" with no pivot ring. Perfect!

Please put me down for the following:

10# Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1002
5 # Crystal 60L 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1036

1x Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1003
1x Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1017

Thank you! :mug:

I used one 1/2 dia 1" magnet I picked up off Amazon a while back. I used jb weld to glue it down. I checked it was centered using a sharpie to mark the axis on the magnet while it was spinning slowly by hand while the glue was wet. It spins my 1.5" stirbar perfectly. I tried gluing flashing on top to cover the moving internals but it peeled up, I need a better glue or a stronger thin metal lid.

I took over the wife's pantry two years ago. Thanks to this group it's been getting quite stocked. The two homer buckets are my next two grain bills for the next brew day. An american heffe and a pale ale.

IMG_20141001_210259.jpg

IMG_20141001_210154.jpg

Frits, please put me down for 10lbs of Weyermann® Pale Wheat 25 kg (55 Lb.) WEY1005

Added. 20# left.

Please put me down for the following:

10# Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1002
5 # Crystal 60L 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1036

1x Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1003
1x Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1017

Thank you! :mug:

Added. :mug:
That closes C60 and Gleneagles MO splits.

And for myself I've added the last 10# of C10 (BRI1033).

I'm using teh c10 for blonde ales and other blonde beers. Mainly BM's Centennial Blonde Ale, i keep getting asked to make more by family members.

I got buckets from Keith today. Awesome hook up!!!!! I'm going to be super organized with these buckets now. Just need new batteries for my label maker.

Also Keith's Bitburger Pilsner is fantastic! could drink that stuff all day long. Had fun talking beer with Keith today.

Jeffc - Bring bags. Don't get those freezer bags, just bring ones you get from the store. Also they probably are too small. If you're getting DME then it might fit 5lbs. If you really need something to hold your grains then contact Keith (Bigbeavk). He will hook you up with buckets (and free beer). I just came home with like 18 or so buckets today.

Keith's Bitburger is fantastic. I have 10 gallons of it in the fermenter now and am hoping it is half as good as what he shared with me! Three more weeks, fermentation is pretty much done now, at 34F and I start carbing it up. Can't wait!!

Cheers!
T

Keith's Bitburger is fantastic. I have 10 gallons of it in the fermenter now and am hoping it is half as good as what he shared with me! Three more weeks, fermentation is pretty much done now, at 34F and I start carbing it up. Can't wait!!

Cheers!
T

I consider myself a bit lucky for getting a little sample of the stuff while at his house once.

Back