DC Area Group Buy #10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On to the next one.

Ill get in on some splits

10# of Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) CAS1051
10# of Weyermann® CaraAroma® 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1063
15# of Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb 3440C

And id like to start a split of Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022, ill take the first 15#

Added!

I got there at 9:15 at the same time Mike (the brewshop owner) arrived, so I got in really early. That was lucky I guess. I started to work on the splits right away and had 2 done when Tony showed up. A few minutes later others came in and sacks were being sorted. Typically 3 Stars opens the door for us at 10, but we've always been able to get in earlier. :ban:

I like to get a good head start before the actual pick-up frenzy begins.

Whoever starts the DME (or participates in it) does the split. Fair enough?

I've repackaged DME into quart ziplock bags, holding about 1.5#. By the time I use the last of it, it starts getting grose and sticky. I also scoop from a larger bag when I need to make larger starters. Or use leftover wort.

Hey all, thanks for the great handling of split #9!

Frits, as we discussed I won't need my DME since I snatched some with the last buy :)

From the open splits, put me down for:

5# Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb 3440C
20# Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg CRI1002

Hey all, thanks for the great handling of split #9!

Frits, as we discussed I won't need my DME since I snatched some with the last buy :)

I didn't mean to scare you so you had to drop the DME ;)
Your share has been removed. j1n inherits the split.

From the open splits, put me down for:

5# Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb 3440C
20# Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg CRI1002

Added.

The buckets were great, this was my first group buy, so I was uncertain of how packaging of splits would occur.

I'm in for

1x Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1003

I ended up with 2 of those buckets. They are awesome. Where can i get more? Also do i need to give $ to someone for the 2 i got?

I hope the next GB pickup day isnt as hot cause splitting that DME is gonna get sticky. I just got a new food scale since my current one is a POS so i will be ready to help the next time.

You can thank Bigbeavk for the buckets...they are free and he brings them whenever he can get more, so keep buying grain and you will end up with plenty. Matter of fact, I am at the point I need to start emptying mine and bringing them to the buys/splits. Got a lot of brewing to do!!!

The buckets were great, this was my first group buy, so I was uncertain of how packaging of splits would occur.

I'm in for

1x Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1003

So added.

I ended up with 2 of those buckets. They are awesome. Where can i get more? Also do i need to give $ to someone for the 2 i got?

I hope the next GB pickup day isnt as hot cause splitting that DME is gonna get sticky. I just got a new food scale since my current one is a POS so i will be ready to help the next time.

Alright, you're on the list! Gotta put that scale to the test.

Bring bags...
This is not just to you two, but pretty much everyone participating in these group buys.

We do get good help (you know who you are) and Tony and I are grateful for that. Keeps the grain coming.

But... only very few people have brought bags and buckets, and those who do always seem to be the same ones.

It would be really handy if people brought bags to these events. Not necessarily to put your grain in for that particular buy, but to replenish our bag supply for the next. We've used up pretty much all the bags we had and we couldn't double-bag as usual, because we knew there wouldn't be nearly enough. Grocery bags without holes are fine, take a few extra next time you're shopping.

All thanks goes to Keith (Bigbeavk) for so generously supplying us with those awesome buckets, and saving the day. Without his buckets, we would have had no choice but pouring grain and DME directly into your cars' trunks.

Although Keith's buckets are free, if you feel you need to make a contribution you can in many ways:

• Come early to help with weighting splits, sorting, and distribution
  • Bring bags
  • Bring a beer to share
  • Bring homebrew samples, we like to taste your beer of labor
  • Bring more homebrew samples
  • Help cleaning up, sweep the floor(!) It's not Keith's or my job.

Use your imagination or ask where and how you can assist to make these buys even more memorable.

I actually brought bags, but took them back home cause the splits were done. I would've left them if I knew you wanted them. I'll bring some next time, and will try to arrive extra early to help out.

I actually brought bags, but took them back home cause the splits were done. I would've left them if I knew you wanted them. I'll bring some next time, and will try to arrive extra early to help out.

Excellent, that's the spirit!

Bags are crucial 'cause we don't have anything else to put the split grain in. Even Keith's buckets would not be enough. We had 71 splits!

Yummy Lemon Pepper Saison!

1410218833459.jpg

Please add the following splits to my order:

5 lbs - (3400C) Briess DME Pilsen Light
5 lbs - (BRI1022) Brief 2-Row Carapils

Cheers,

Kirk

I have one of those shakers that Keith is giving out. It would be awesome for degassing wine or for very large starters. I have no need for it. Anyone want it?

I have one of those shakers that Keith is giving out. It would be awesome for degassing wine or for very large starters. I have no need for it. Anyone want it?

They're great!
I use those shakers instead of a stir plate, and prefer them in many ways. I can fit 2 flasks or gallon growlers on the large one, but any vessel will work as long as they are similar size and fill level. Use a thin non-skid silicone pad or a piece of those "drawer liners." Strap em down if you must.

You do need to put the shaker on the floor or a very heavy table, or they'll shake you crazy. Tune the speed so they're sloshing nicely. It's all about contact with the air. I get way less foaming too, even after adding a drop of Fermcap-S to the wort.

I'll take

5# Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022

Thanks!

I too had bags but I came too late (or you guys finished too early!) I'll make a mental note to show up at 10:00 or earlier next time so I don't feel like such a slacker. And thanks for the buckets/other goodies Keith!

Looking to buy a good Pilsner malt; my Weyermann Pilsner is almost finished and I suspect its prime is over anyway. Any recommendations? What about Floor malted Bohemian pilsner malt? My wife and I love Oskar Blue's Mama's Little Yella Pils for example; would that be a good grain for something like that?

I'll take

5# Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022

Thanks!

I too had bags but I came too late (or you guys finished too early!) I'll make a mental note to show up at 10:00 or earlier next time so I don't feel like such a slacker. And thanks for the buckets/other goodies Keith!

Added.

It was good meeting you there, josh. If we had only known you had bags... /JK

Yup, we were done early. Anyone who wants to help, 10:00 am or earlier is the right time. Ordinary pickup is still at 11:00am, and we're aiming at being done with all the splits and sorting by that time.

I'll take 15lbs of Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022 to close the split.

I tried a couple of the beers shared from Sat. I'm not clear on who gave me the Quad and the Bret but I tried the Bret and really enjoyed it. :tank:
I haven't had to many sours but It was good and refreshing. I'll try the quad here soon.

Sven I must say an outstanding Strong Scottish Great Job brewing that one! :tank:
And please thank Leigh for the beer soap sample! Who knew we could bath with beer? :D

I'll take 15lbs of Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022 to close the split.

I tried a couple of the beers shared from Sat. I'm not clear on who gave me the Quad and the Bret but I tried the Bret and really enjoyed it. :tank:
I haven't had to many sours but It was good and refreshing. I'll try the quad here soon.

Sven I must say an outstanding Strong Scottish Great Job brewing that one! :tank:
And please thank Leigh for the beer soap sample! Who knew we could bath with beer? :D

Added 15# of CP. That's closed now.

The Quad marked with an "I" on the cap? That's Sweetcell's. Which one is the Brett, the bomber marked MS? I was eyeing that one up too.

I totally agree on Sven's Strong Scotch, that's an amazing beer. The pour and head were just beautiful. Didn't get to the others yet. They're in the fridge waiting impatiently.

ISven I must say an outstanding Strong Scottish Great Job brewing that one! :tank:

I totally agree on Sven's Strong Scotch, that's an amazing beer. The pour and head were just beautiful. Didn't get to the others yet. They're in the fridge waiting impatiently.

Thanks you two! I couldn't believe how much it improved over the last 3 weeks! Next time I'll add gelatin because I'm not that happy with the chill haze...

Anyway, I think I'll take
1 sack of WEY1010
Weyermann® Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Unless anyone has suggestions for a better Pilsner malt! :mug:

Thanks you two! I couldn't believe how much it improved over the last 3 weeks! Next time I'll add gelatin because I'm not that happy with the chill haze...

Anyway, I think I'll take
1 sack of WEY1010
Weyermann® Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Unless anyone has suggestions for a better Pilsner malt! :mug:

The chill haze is likely from the (smoked) wheat. Will gelatin remove that?

Added 1x FM Boh. Pilsner for you. You can always replace it with something else if you want to, but it is a good choice.
Is that a well modified malt?

The chill haze is likely from the (smoked) wheat. Will gelatin remove that?

Added 1x FM Boh. Pilsner for you. You can always replace it with something else if you want to, but it is a good choice.
Is that a well modified malt?

Very good question! Here's what I got from Northernbrewer:
1.6-2° L. This is an exceptional Pilsner malt made in the traditional Bohemian fashion. The malt is raked and turned by hand in a floor-malting facility and given a traditional Bohemian malting schedule. The result is a slightly under-modified malt with unique and complex flavor. A must for a truly outstanding Pilsner beer.

So yes, it looks like it's slightly undermodified (whatever that means). EDIT: Looks like more deco tigons need to be done ;)

Regarding the chill haze - some proteins might get pulled out but most likely not all :)

Very good question! Here's what I got from Northernbrewer:

So yes, it looks like it's slightly undermodified (whatever that means). EDIT: Looks like more deco tigons need to be done ;)

Regarding the chill haze - some proteins might get pulled out but most likely not all :)

You could stop by and try my Bitburger Pils and see if you like it. I used Rahr Premium Pils. :mug:

I've used the Weyermann® Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner and can't say it was much different.

heya keith! i gave you those beers, glad you enjoyed the brett'ed saison - definitely more funky than sour. the other beer is quad'ish - it's dark, it's high gravity, and it's belgian, but i'm not certain how well it fits the BJCP's definition of a BDSA or quad. important thing is that it's tasty (at least i think so!).

Which one is the Brett, the bomber marked MS? I was eyeing that one up too.
yup, Ms = batch M, Saison variant (other half of the wort was used for an IPA which is sadly no longer with us...).

First time in the group buy, new to beer brewing but looking to drive down the cost so I can move away from ciders.

From the open split:

10# Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb 3440C

Thanks!

Sven: having the sample you brought me just now and it is fantastic! A bit on the spicy side...did you use rye in this, or is that from the hops? I really like the flavor and mouth feel a lot.

Peter78: You continue to impress with your brewing prowess! The gratzer you brewed up was amazing. I really liked the smoke flavor. Which smoked malt did you use and what percentage of the grist was it? The wheat beer was outstanding too! To style and really refreshing after a long day at work.

Thanks all for the samples...really appreciate the opportunity to sample your craft! I continue to be impressed with our cadre of brewers that participate in this group buy!!

Tony

The gratzer was per Stefin's suggestion from the previous group buy. I followed the Northern Brewer's recipe. Used 100% weyermann oak smoked wheat.

First time in the group buy, new to beer brewing but looking to drive down the cost so I can move away from ciders.

From the open split:

10# Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb 3440C

Thanks!

Welcome to the group buy.
Added.

What size batches of beer are you trying to brew? Most 5 gallons, medium gravity ales need 6-7 pounds of DME. 10# would cover you for a batch and a half.
Have you checked into doing all grain? If you have a 4 gallon pot that you can boil for an hour or so, you can brew 2 of those back to back to get 5-6 gallons. Or do partial mashes.

heya keith! i gave you those beers, glad you enjoyed the brett'ed saison - definitely more funky than sour. the other beer is quad'ish - it's dark, it's high gravity, and it's belgian, but i'm not certain how well it fits the BJCP's definition of a BDSA or quad. important thing is that it's tasty (at least i think so!).

yup, Ms = batch M, Saison variant (other half of the wort was used for an IPA which is sadly no longer with us...).

Your Brett "Saison" is incredibly good! I had half that bottle last night, recorked it for another tasting tonight. So much flavor!

It is definitely nice and tart, with a vinous character. It even shows hints of tannins, and in a good way. Thank you for the experience!

Sven: having the sample you brought me just now and it is fantastic! A bit on the spicy side...did you use rye in this, or is that from the hops? I really like the flavor and mouth feel a lot.

Hey Tony, below is the recipe. No rye in there so maybe it's the smoked wheat since the hops is very subdued I find. Had to add the Hallertau because I ran out of EKG... Beer was named after the Scottish metal band "Alestorm"

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 3.2 %
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 58.0 %
3 lbs Oak smoked wheat (2.5 SRM) Grain 3 19.3 %
1 lbs 1.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
8.7 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
8.7 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.5 %
6.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.4 %
4.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.7 %
3.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.3 %
0.90 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 10 8.9 IBUs
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 11 8.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 12 -

Welcome to the group buy.
Added.

What size batches of beer are you trying to brew? Most 5 gallons, medium gravity ales need 6-7 pounds of DME. 10# would cover you for a batch and a half.
Have you checked into doing all grain? If you have a 4 gallon pot that you can boil for an hour or so, you can brew 2 of those back to back to get 5-6 gallons. Or do partial mashes.

I'm probably going to use the first 6 lbs for a stout w/ steeping grains. I can always pick up another lb or two at the LHBS (perhaps of a different style/color).

Looking into all-grain, but I have limited room in my 1BR apartment (no patio), and no 240v outlets for electric. I'm currently brewing extract in a 1650W electric turkey fryer that I can get a 5 gallon boil going in with the lid partially on (and an additional 1.5" or so of space in the pot. I do have a gas stove I can do a smaller boil on at the same time.

I'm probably going to use the first 6 lbs for a stout w/ steeping grains. I can always pick up another lb or two at the LHBS (perhaps of a different style/color).

Looking into all-grain, but I have limited room in my 1BR apartment (no patio), and no 240v outlets for electric. I'm currently brewing extract in a 1650W electric turkey fryer that I can get a 5 gallon boil going in with the lid partially on (and an additional 1.5" or so of space in the pot. I do have a gas stove I can do a smaller boil on at the same time.

If that turkey fryer gets you a rolling boil with 5 gallons, even with the lid partially on, you can brew 4 gallon all grain batches. Mash in a cooler or do BIAB. I used to split my boils over 2 pots on the electric stove, then combined, chilled, and filled the fermentor.

You can always plug in one of those heat sticks (1000W or 1500W) for some extra oomph.

Disclaimer: This post is Off Topic...

For the gents who were interested in the welded brewstands:

I was able to get the bottom frame welded today on one (it's been a rough few months with work and family issues). I plan to do the top frame and supports over the next week. Will post pics along the way.

-Mike

1410741392581.jpg

1410741404838.jpg

Latest posts

Back