Dark Lord 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a response to this question on Facebook, the variants will be entirely first come first serve. They'll also still have group times A-E. So, same shitty way as it always was, except that now groups C-E are forced into buying the unwanted leftovers.

That's ****ed up. So to get the good variants, you'll have to be in time group A and arrive in line at the ass crack of dawn?

Asking as a Dark Lord noob, how is it determined what time slot you are out in?

I am completely against this idea, only because there's a chance my scratch-off will say "Biggleswade" or "Muerte" or whichever booby-prize travesty variant will be available this year.

So group A&B get the good variants and the rest get to pick through the otheers? There has to be a trade off.

According to a response to this question on Facebook, the variants will be entirely first come first serve. They'll also still have group times A-E. So, same shitty way as it always was, except that now groups C-E are forced into buying the unwanted leftovers.
From the FAQ:
Variants will be released closer to the event. Bottles will be available on a first come first served basis. Though you may not receive your #1 choice, there will be enough variants for everyone.

So it's the same as always.

Last year's "unwanted leftovers" in Group D-E included regular Bourbon, Coffee Cognac, Cherry Cocoa, and a few others. I wouldn't worry, unless all you care about is...

BIG_HUGS.jpg

From the FAQ:
Variants will be released closer to the event. Bottles will be available on a first come first served basis. Though you may not receive your #1 choice, there will be enough variants for everyone.

So it's the same as always.

Last year's "unwanted leftovers" in Group D-E included regular Bourbon, Coffee Cognac, Cherry Cocoa, and a few others. I wouldn't worry, unless all you care about is...

BIG_HUGS.jpg

The only people worrying are the people that are scared they can't flip or razzle the beer for as much as they want.

That's ****ed up. So to get the good variants, you'll have to be in time group A and arrive in line at the ass crack of dawn?

So group A&B get the good variants and the rest get to pick through the otheers? There has to be a trade off.
I was group A last year. By the time I got to the variant table with my "YES" scratch-off, they were "out of vanilla". However, I know people with group B, C, and even D tickets who got vanilla.

It looks like they made an attempt at splitting all the variants up between all the groups in order to give everyone a shot of getting the one they wanted. So no, you don't "have to" be group A to get whichever one is deemed to be the high-trade-equity mega-whale of the season, but you probably should try to be as close to the head of your group's bottle allocation line as you can.

Incidentally, even though I got shot down on vanilla, like gtx281 said I still had my pick of some tasty variants...I plan to crack open my bottle of 2015 regular bourbon on Saturday after we (hopefully) buy our 2016 tickets.

Everyone gets to pick their desired group from a dropdown on the ticketing site. It's exactly like when you buy concert tickets, where you can select the section in which you'd like to sit.

As you might imagine, as time (measured in seconds, in this case) passes, your group options become more and more limited until all the tickets are sold out.

Are there any rumors on what crazy variants they're making this year anyway? They gonna age some of it in a porta potty from last year?

I assume Vanilla, Regular BA, Muerte, and Bigglesbarf, are pretty much guaranteed right?

Can also confirm that I would be perfectly thrilled with Cherry Cocoa at any point in the day. Vanilla is great but it's not like it's that or crap.

Green is prime color. Shitty profit margins. My selections will be clear, pink and then the leftover baby blue ones labeled "Indianapolis 500 1984" that I picked up a gross of at Goodwill.
Normally I'd go with clear so people could still see my TalkBeer shirt, but of the weather's anything like last year it'll be obscured by a hoodie and a winter coat, so I'll take an Indy 500 one.

Normally I'd go with clear so people could still see my TalkBeer shirt, but of the weather's anything like last year it'll be obscured by a hoodie and a winter coat, so I'll take an Indy 500 one.

I joked earlier in the thread but I think if the forecast is for the same kind of cold/rain ******** again I'm gonna legitimately buy a wetsuit.

I'll still buy a pink one for fashion purposes.

Here's a question... total TB noob, but anybody live really far away and would be interested in me purchasing a second ticket and sending you, who cannot make it to the fest, the beer allotment? I want to bring my fiance, but at the same time I don't want or need 400 dollars worth of Dark Lord. I'll send you the bottles, you pay the ticket. We all get Dark Lord and my fiance gets to come and I don't have to drop $400 on a beer fest.

I don't know if this would be posted in trades? Not sure if people do stuff like this.. but if anyone is interested, let me know.

Here's a question... total TB noob, but anybody live really far away and would be interested in me purchasing a second ticket and sending you, who cannot make it to the fest, the beer allotment? I want to bring my fiance, but at the same time I don't want or need 400 dollars worth of Dark Lord. I'll send you the bottles, you pay the ticket. We all get Dark Lord and my fiance gets to come and I don't have to drop $400 on a beer fest.

I don't know if this would be posted in trades? Not sure if people do stuff like this.. but if anyone is interested, let me know.

You'll likely have some success with this after ticket sales close/are sold out on Saturday, and I believe there will be a lot of people trying to do this same thing. Technically, though, you are not selling the ticket, and are selling beer (I believe this is not allowed here), presumably for a price more than you paid, which is (depending on who you talk to) generally frowned upon.

I think someone will probably take you up on this, but personally I would have a hard time paying that much and not knowing which variant I was getting. The true "gopickitupforme " price is probably $130 too, not $200.

I think someone will probably take you up on this, but personally I would have a hard time paying that much and not knowing which variant I was getting. The true "gopickitupforme " price is probably $130 too, not $200.

Yeah a fair amount of that ticket is for food/drink vouchers ($40) and general fest entry ($30?). I think it's a good idea but the receiver of the beer should really be expected to pay something closer to $130 plus shipping costs.

You'll likely have some success with this after ticket sales close/are sold out on Saturday, and I believe there will be a lot of people trying to do this same thing. Technically, though, you are not selling the ticket, and are selling beer (I believe this is not allowed here), presumably for a price more than you paid, which is (depending on who you talk to) generally frowned upon.

Right I get you. I hate that there are no GA tickets for this exact reason. Now we can't go enjoy this fest together without spending $400 on (mainly) Dark Lord. I was considering taking the beer from the second ticket and saving it for trades, but it's hard to stomach $400 for DLD. I just want to go to this thing together and not pay $400.

http://www.honeyfund.com/

Romantic Dark Lord Trip

Can I assume the usual outside-the-gates compound will still be compounding this year?

elkhunter36?
powz87?
Lansman?
???

Will barrel-aged water be included in entry this year?

Plans are in the works yes. There has been some discussion of moving the compound due to the cost of the sight and the fact that the owner is a D-Bag. woodchopper has his eye on a spot at the south gate and is checking on it.

But yes there will be a compound somewhere I will keep you updated.

And barrel aged water will be there as well.

Last edited:
Plans are in the works yes. There has been some discussion of moving the compound due to the cost of the sight and the fact that the owner is a D-Bag. woodchopper has his eye on a spot at the south gate and is checking on it.

But yes there will a compound somewhere I will keep you updated.

Oh man, two TB compounds at the south gate would be a ******** in the awesomest way.

Can I assume the usual outside-the-gates compound will still be compounding this year?

elkhunter36?
powz87?
Lansman?
???

Will barrel-aged water be included in entry this year?

We are currently seeking input on what folks want to see for annual DLD pong this year. Juicy Pong was thrown around, but it will be too 'old' by the time DLD arrives.

I thought that having Yellow Rose pong might be fun. Anyone have a hookup to potentially get 18-24 bottles in mid-April?

We are currently seeking input on what folks want to see for annual DLD pong this year. Juicy Pong was thrown around, but it will be too 'old' by the time DLD arrives.

I thought that having Yellow Rose pong might be fun. Anyone have a hookup to potentially get 18-24 bottles in mid-April?
bsc should just come and bring the case of heady. DOOOO IT

But yes there will a compound somewhere I will keep you updated.

You're going to war with the Rose-Hulman people? They've been on that corner by the firehouse for years. Good people too.

Get some Hoof Hearted baby diarrhea colored IPAs. I want to see some vomit late in the day, dammit.

Right I get you. I hate that there are no GA tickets for this exact reason. Now we can't go enjoy this fest together without spending $400 on (mainly) Dark Lord. I was considering taking the beer from the second ticket and saving it for trades, but it's hard to stomach $400 for DLD. I just want to go to this thing together and not pay $400.

I'll do this as I actually cannot go as I'll be out of town regardless and was thinking of offering that very deal (I get the beers, you get the admission and vouchers) to someone if they were interested.

Bourbon County Pong?

Bourbon County Pong?

If this happens, I'll bring chunder buckets to keep at each end of the table.

We did it with Baller Stout aka the Three Floyds XV anniversary beer.

It ended with very drunk people in various stages of undress and myself putting my knee through the back of a toilet.

Great success.

Back