2016 Dark Lord Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone get a coffee mug or two that they don't want afterall? They sold out when we were about 10 people from the front of the line. :(

It was very good the last release (2014 maybe?), but this year it tastes like super sweet mango candy, and something else off putting that I can't put my finger on. Terrible, imo. I drank less than 8 oz from a bottle, then dumped it. Tried a bit another day from a bottle my friend had, and had the same experience from both of us. :(

Cough syrup. That's what it tasted like.

I was at Founders Friday night as part of a road trip prior to DLD and the Mango Magnifico sounded up my alley. Fortunately I decided to try a sample first. It legitimately tasted like cough syrup to me. The Macadamia Fudge Donkey Stout was pretty great however.

Anyone looking to trade?

I'm looking for regular, a coffee, a cherry (preferred), and chili variants.

I have some Terrapin (few different things), Perrin (No Rules), a '15 Sucaba, Wicked Weed (varied and more on the way), Pliny (by next week), Mikkeller Cherry, kbs, bcbs '14 & '16, and Dogfish head 120's 3 year verticals (14, 15, 16).

Let me know. Hopefully I can find a local trade. Shipping is starting to hurt lately! Lol! In the New Lenox area, but travel towards Oak Park for work. I couldn't get tickets, then work got in the way or I would have bummed it up in the parking lot! Lol!

Thanks!

It didn't even cross my mind to buy the hot sauce. Gave getting muerte a little thought and bought one of those axe bottle openers for a tree slaying friend from HBT, but never even thought hot sauce would be the thing people were after.

New DLD tradition for me.

Right before you go to DLD, hit Denny's for a Lumberjack Slam. That's eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, toast, pancakes, and coffee. It will prevent a sudden rush of alcohol into your system, and give you a nice steady buzz throughout the day. Hopefully preventing you from being one of those people that fall over and break all their DL while waiting for a cab at the end of the day.

If your a vegetarian, you're on your own.

You're welcome! :D

New DLD tradition for me.

Right before you go to DLD, hit Denny's for a Lumberjack Slam. That's eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, toast, pancakes, and coffee. It will prevent a sudden rush of alcohol into your system, and give you a nice steady buzz throughout the day. Hopefully preventing you from being one of those people that fall over and break all their DL while waiting for a cab at the end of the day.

If your a vegetarian, you're on your own.

You're welcome! :D

That sounds good. We stayed at the Best western in schererville (never again) and it was right next to the mcdonalds. Sausage burritos saved my life.

I was at the Best Western in Hammond, IN. Not great, but for the price it served it's purpose.

When the cabbie asked where we were going, we told him. He didn't know where it was. We said near all the strip clubs. As soon as we said that he knew exactly where to take us.

The location probably says a lot about quality of the hotel. :D

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that there are a ridiculous number of liquor stores, firework stores, and strip clubs in Munster? I bet you can't travel more than 1/4 mile without seeing at least 2 of the three.

I was at the Best Western in Hammond, IN. Not great, but for the price it served it's purpose.

When the cabbie asked where we were going, we told him. He didn't know where it was. We said near all the strip clubs. As soon as we said that he knew exactly where to take us.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that there are a ridiculous number of liquor stores, firework stores, and strip clubs in Munster? I bet you can't travel more than 1/4 mile without seeing at least 2 of the three.

Munster does not have any fireworks stores or strip clubs. Both of those are in Hammond. And as far as liquor stores, there are only 2 in Munster.

I was at the holiday inn in schererville and was really happy with it. Had a great share Friday night. Plan on doing the same next year. Shuttle buss was ten bucks a ride and ran about every 20 minutes from 630a to 1230a

I was at the holiday inn in schererville and was really happy with it. Had a great share Friday night. Plan on doing the same next year. Shuttle buss was ten bucks a ride and ran about every 20 minutes from 630a to 1230a

Yeah the shuttle was awesome! We had a super small share in the lobby of our hotel. Friday night went well. No issues at all. Saturday night, we were being respectful (ok maybe a little loud) and they tried to kick us out saying no one was allowed in the lobby after 10pm. Then the people we were with kept telling the guy at the desk to call a manager or corporate. And after that, the guy left the front desk and we were out there until about 2am.

Yeah the shuttle was awesome! We had a super small share in the lobby of our hotel. Friday night went well. No issues at all. Saturday night, we were being respectful (ok maybe a little loud) and they tried to kick us out saying no one was allowed in the lobby after 10pm. Then the people we were with kept telling the guy at the desk to call a manager or corporate. And after that, the guy left the front desk and we were out there until about 2am.

When we got back to the hotel lobby, there were a few people sitting around bull****ting.

One guy was completely hammered. He kept pouring beer for everyone, but he couldn't even come close to getting it into anyone's glass.

The poor girl behind the desk was freaking out. She was following this guy around with a towel to catch all the beer he was spilling before it hit the carpet. I felt bad for her. She kept yelling at him, but he was too drunk to listen.

Finally, he headed back to his room. He got halfway down the hall, stumbled and started to fall. Somehow he managed to catch himself. He just started running to regain his balance. He got to his door, and we watched him try to open it for close to 10 minutes. Either he couldn't use the card, or he was at the wrong door. I'm not sure which. It might have been both. It was pretty funny.

We never actually saw him get into the room. He might have slept in the hallway.

When we got back to the hotel lobby, there were a few people sitting around bull****ting.

One guy was completely hammered. He kept pouring beer for everyone, but he couldn't even come close to getting it into anyone's glass.

The poor girl behind the desk was freaking out. She was following this guy around with a towel to catch all the beer he was spilling, before it hit the carpet. I felt bad for her. She kept yelling at him, but he was too drunk to listen.

Finally, he headed back to his room. He got halfway down the hall, stumbled and started to fall. Somehow he managed to catch himself. He just started running to regain his balance. He got to his door, and we watched him try to open it for close to 10 minutes. Either he couldn't use the card, or he was at the wrong door. I'm not sure which. It might have been both. It was pretty funny.

We never actually saw him get into the room. He might have slept in the hallway.

Haha thats awesome. We had a few interesting characters stop by our share. These two kids who were staying at the hotel just to have a party (had no idea what DLD was) came down and asked if we wanted to try some of the "good sh##", then came back with a bottle of tequila and soco.... haha. We told them they could try some of beers we were sharing, so I went to get one of the guys a cup and then turn back around and they start taking turns chugging the 2012 3F Moloko Cognac from the bottle. haha..

Its sickening to see some of the merchandise that is on ebay already. Hot sauce up for 40 to 90 dollars. Comic book $80. Sauce was only $10.

I did get some hot sauce, but don't have one to spare, sadly.

This has a lot to do with the fact that it's the first exit past the IL/IN border. IN has lower Liquor tax and allows the sale of most fireworks (which IL does not). Not familiar with the strip club laws, but I'm sure there's something there too.

I did get some hot sauce, but don't have one to spare, sadly.

This has a lot to do with the fact that it's the first exit past the IL/IN border. IN has lower Liquor tax and allows the sale of most fireworks (which IL does not). Not familiar with the strip club laws, but I'm sure there's something there too.

There's a stretch of road, Highway 20 if I remember, where there is a strip club every 2 miles. I think it continues for about 12 miles. Impressive, no doubt.

I have my theories on why, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not, and I hate to offend anyone. So I'll just leave it at that.

There was someone in the Metal tent passing around some homebrew. It was really good. It was barrel aged and had a nice coconut flavor to it.

I figured it might be an HBTer, but I didn't really get a chance to talk to him.

Was that anyone on here?

If it was the same one I had its called liquid mounds and its from a home brewer getting ready to go pro.

Didn't get the name, but it did taste like liquid mounds. All I know is that it was barrel aged.

Lil Beaver Brewery. Very nice guy. He had the standard mounds in the cooler on tap and the BA in a bottle. Both fantastic

Back