Dark Lord Day 2015?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read that you won't be able to buy any regular packaged stuff from 3 floyds that day, no zombie dust for me to bring home :(

Looking forward to meeting up with people. Not sure I can hang out by the stage too long though, gets really loud for me.

I'll bring some homebrew and a few local things, but I don't have any ultra rare stuff.

Read that you won't be able to buy any regular packaged stuff from 3 floyds that day, no zombie dust for me to bring home :(

Looking forward to meeting up with people. Not sure I can hang out by the stage too long though, gets really loud for me.

I'll bring some homebrew and a few local things, but I don't have any ultra rare stuff.

The first few years I went I never even saw the stage. Then they moved it and you can't miss it. :)

Usually (and i don't expect this year to be any different) I am out of there around the time the bottle sales are done. It's a great time for me for 6 or so hours, but after that I want to sit in an actual seat somewhere to relax.

So, for anyone looking to meet up, any thoughts on where/when/how?

This is my first time, so I have no idea where to meet. I'll be lucky to find the place. I will be wearing a Reverend Horton Heat t-shirt that day. I'm probably the only person who owns a Reverend Horton Heat t-shirt, so if you see someone wearing one, it's probably me. Feel free to say hello.

This is my first time, so I have no idea where to meet. I'll be lucky to find the place. I will be wearing a Reverend Horton Heat t-shirt that day. I'm probably the only person who owns a Reverend Horton Heat t-shirt, so if you see someone wearing one, it's probably me. Feel free to say hello.

Are you going to be wearing it over your winter jacket?

Last year it was damn cold but not raining. This year it will be damn cold and raining for at least part of the day. And there are NO tents to hide under. This oughta be fun.

Fyi, they have 2014 Dark Lord on sale at the beers to go kiosk now. My buddy from IN rode his bike there and scored a bottle. Said they had Zombie Dust but quickly sold out, so he hit a beer store and they had it but limited to one sixxer.

Check the link on the Three Floyds page. They still show it so presumably they are still selling it. $20 a bottle...

Cool grrickar, thanks for the heads up :) Wish I had the time to get by there to score some 2014

They did have a big tent set up last year with a lot of picnic tables set up underneath. So hopefully we can score one of those to hang out around.

I have Group A so after I'm done getting my bottles maybe we can grab a table under the tent. I'm thinking I should try to find a homebrewtalk sticker and put up a sign or something. Any thoughts?

grrickar:

From what I've gathered from BeerAdvocate, they should have DL '14 for sale during the event too. As for Zombie Dust, people were saying that the bottle dates on what was just released is a lot older than they would have expected. Because of this, a lot believe that 3 Floyds is holding back some Zombie Dust for tomorrow when people start rolling in.

conpewter:

Maybe I'll see you in the Group A line! I have a feeling that anything under a tent will be packed given the amount of rain that is supposed to happen Saturday. I'm going to keep an eye out for HBT markings on people (stickers, growlers, t-shirts [if you are crazy enough to wear just a shirt in ~47 weather]). I'll stick my extra HBT decal on my backpack, and hope it doesn't fall off.

All:

I'm heading up tomorrow and should be in the area at 11-noon. I'm planning to wander into Chicago if anyone wants to meet up on Friday.

Good idea, I'll find my HBT decal and see if I can stick it on my coat or something. Planning on a poncho too I think, and some hand warmers...

Do you know if Group A can go through during the group B time or are you SOL if you don't get in line early enough?

Don't know the answer to your question conpewter, but ill keep an eye out for you fellas and your hbt decals!

Good idea, I'll find my HBT decal and see if I can stick it on my coat or something. Planning on a poncho too I think, and some hand warmers...

Do you know if Group A can go through during the group B time or are you SOL if you don't get in line early enough?

As I recall, no problem to go through a later line if you have an earlier ticket, haven't done it myself. That said, DLD rules are subject to varying interpretation by event staff in my experience.

For example, rules say that your guest has to enter at the same time as you. Last year, i was in DLD for hours, then went back to the gate to let someone in on my guest ticket. Gate staff told me that it was no problem at all.

I know it's easy to pawn off group tickets there, but I'm unsure about GA tickets. I would assume that most people there would have at least a GA ticket. I can't speak from experience though. Have you tried posting anything on BeerAdvocate, I know there is a pretty active forum with people selling DLD tickets.

Thanks. Might be too late, but I'll give it a try.

I'd suggest putting a post up on Craigslist in Chicago if your desire to get some $$ out of the tickets is greater than your desire to avoid dealing with CL people. :)

My wife got sick on the day of FOBAB and I sold those tickets just a few hours before the event started.

Yikes, friends of friends might be cancelling on DLD, so friends of mine might have guest tickets available. PM me if you want to get in, I probably won't know for sure about it until tomorrow morning though.

Yikes, friends of friends might be cancelling on DLD, so friends of mine might have guest tickets available. PM me if you want to get in, I probably won't know for sure about it until tomorrow morning though.

This is mine and SWMBO's new favorite post on HBT.

As my name suggests, I'm tall, 6'8", not always the tallest at DLD, but certainly one of the tallest. I have greying dark hair, a beard and wear glasses. I'm bringing a ton of great beer with me, so find me. :)

As my name suggests, I'm tall, 6'8", not always the tallest at DLD, but certainly one of the tallest. I have greying dark hair, a beard and wear glasses. I'm bringing a ton of great beer with me, so find me. :)

At a puny 6'4", it weirds me out to be around people that tower over me. Guess I am gonna have to deal with it for a day! I intend to share quickly upon arrival, my backpack is freaking heavy. Likely not bringing anything a special as most, but not bringing anything a sane beer lover would turn down!

What was everyone's opinion?

I had fun, but what a wet/cold mess of a day. My hands got so cold I couldn't use my phone. I was soaked to the bone.

I did get some Dark Lord even though I had a GA ticket. I bought a few bottles from someone. Someone else tried to sell me their variant bottle for $250. Are they nuts?

Lessons learned:
  • Don't bring all 9% beers with you. You will regret it. Bring session beers and some water.
  • A backpack full of beer is really heavy.
  • Bring a sampling glass. I forgot mine and I had to wait in line for an hour to get a plastic cup.
  • The best part of the day was waiting for the taxi and watching all the hammered people try to not fall on their asses. They were going down like dominoes. It was hilarious.
  • Don't wear your brand-new sneakers to DLD.
  • Indiana is a long, long way from Buffalo.
  • Dark Lord Dogs are awesome!

It was a damned fun day. I also wore brand new shoes that will never be the same. I got in on some bottles that I never thought I would get a taste of. This years dark lord was a much better beer than other years I have tried, excited about having a few to share and consume. It was fun meeting some hbt people and did I mention the whales of beers that people just passed around and shared like it was no big deal? I don't see myself missing a lot of dark lord days in the future.

With weather that terrible, I'm surprised that I'm here posting about what a fun time it was, but it was. Kinda wish i hung around a while longer because i was mostly having a good time, but reality was hitting me that even with a poncho, a couple layers of clothes and boots i was fairly wet and cold.

@PatrickGoss and I were offered $250 for the Vanilla Bean Dark Lord as soon as we got out of the line. I still wonder if i'm nuts for not taking it. I have seen some local CL ads offering bottles for sale for $325 and $500, but i'll bet nobody is buying that high.

I'm glad people had good experiences. My fun ended by the time the Group A gate opened. Friend I went with go drunk and I spent the time from gate opening to bottle buying babysitting him and attempting to have people stop giving him beer (which didn't work). He eventually passed out drunk on the way back to the car (around 11-11:30am).

Waiting for the gates to open was fun though, manage to try some Bourbon County, DL '10, and a few others. Person in line was also a home brewer so he shared his DIPA and I shared my Green Tea Blonde. I also managed to get 2 variants (my friend and I both won, he gave me his), so I grabbed a Vanilla and Coffee.

Lessons Learned:
1) Ponchos aren't a guarantee to keep you dry during downpours.
2) To add to b-boy, backpacks full of beer are really heavy, carrying another persons bag of beer on top of that is even heavier.
3) Leather shoes don't dry fast (they are still wet, why did I wear leather shoes when I knew it was going to rain).
4) Make sure you have everyone's phone number you are going to need to meetup with, because the odds of finding a person at DLD is near impossible.

Overall though, my day didn't last long, so I didn't get to enjoy any music, bottle shares (inside), or food.

Normal prices are near the max I will spend for a beer but I will say, both the bourbon and vanilla bean I got to try Saturday were amazing.... Not the best beers I had all day though. As an odd note, the guy that shared vanilla bean with dan and I in line was the guy we have all read about that got screwed in a trade with the fake re-capped and re-waxed Assassin. Really good guy!

Yes, you are insane if someone offers you $250 for a $50 bottle of beer and you don't sell it to them. Well, maybe not insane. But a $200 profit for very little effort is a business venture one should not pass up in my opinion.

Did anybody get the Aquavit (dill-flavored) or Malort (vomit-flavored) variants? I'm scratching my head wondering why they even bothered with those variants. If everyone is clamoring for vanilla bean, then just make vanilla bean, damnit!

I got the coffee variant. I'm not going to drink it. $50 is way too rich for my blood. I'm either going to sell it to a friend that is a big-time whale beer guy or I might put it in to my beer club's whale beer Yankee Swap this Christmas.

It was a good time. Glad I went. This is my second year. Last year was a lot more fun. And a lot less rainy. The best part of the day was the bottle-sharing in line for the beer purchase. Drank quite a few good beers in line. I was pretty surprised by the number of people in line with scowls on their faces. I mean, sure, it's a really long line and it's rainy and all, but damn, people! You're surrounded by people carrying around whale beers in their backpacks and they're willing to share them with anyone that has an empty cup! Put a smile on your face, for chrissakes!

Next year plan: BRING GLOVES. Get there around noon. Go to the picnic table area and bottle-share with guys that bring 600 bottles of beer. Eat some food then get in the C line at 2:30 and get the DL beer. Share some more beers with people in line. Get the DL beer and then go hang out with friends that have a tent right outside the south exit and bottle share some more. Then call for the ride home.

I'm glad people had good experiences. My fun ended by the time the Group A gate opened. Friend I went with go drunk and I spent the time from gate opening to bottle buying babysitting him and attempting to have people stop giving him beer (which didn't work). He eventually passed out drunk on the way back to the car (around 11-11:30am).

Waiting for the gates to open was fun though, manage to try some Bourbon County, DL '10, and a few others. Person in line was also a home brewer so he shared his DIPA and I shared my Green Tea Blonde. I also managed to get 2 variants (my friend and I both won, he gave me his), so I grabbed a Vanilla and Coffee.

Lessons Learned:
1) Ponchos aren't a guarantee to keep you dry during downpours.
2) To add to b-boy, backpacks full of beer are really heavy, carrying another persons bag of beer on top of that is even heavier.
3) Leather shoes don't dry fast (they are still wet, why did I wear leather shoes when I knew it was going to rain).
4) Make sure you have everyone's phone number you are going to need to meetup with, because the odds of finding a person at DLD is near impossible.

Overall though, my day didn't last long, so I didn't get to enjoy any music, bottle shares (inside), or food.

I was wondering about all of those empty bottles lining up to the entrance to the place. I kept thinking about all of the people that were totally bombed before they even got in the place. Rookie mistake.

The bad thing is, it was my first time at DLD, he has been to a few.

I'm glad he at least passed out where he did, we were getting close to crossing the street, and that would have been terrible.

Yeah, gloves and putting your phone in a ziplock bag (yes, the touch screen still works) are lessons learned from DLD and other beer fests in the past. Damn glad my wife and I had those planned ahead.

I always bring way more beer than I open there too, partially because if i meet up with someone sharing whales, i want to return the favor. Unfortunately, the only time that was really happening around me was in the B line and I didn't have anything great in my backpack then, needed to get back to the car to restock. Oh well, maybe i'll see that guy again next year. :)

I also totally spaced on looking for the Dark Lord hot sauce, which i wanted to get. Anyone pick that up and try it out?

Latest posts

Back