Dark Lord 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about trying to trade for a DL variant but due to the expected and completely legitimate increased value because of the heavy rain and unused vouchers I'm not sure I have enough ammo.

I was thinking about trying to trade for a DL variant but due to the expected and completely legitimate increased value because of the heavy rain and unused vouchers I'm not sure I have enough ammo.
The fact you had to brave the threat of lawsuits from attorneys who should have Bar complaints made against them ( no one in particular, don't sue me Esquire's ) adds additional value.

Who is JDF?

All of this after powz87 made a ten minute speech about how JEG wasnt that bad. Lol.
Yeah, like I said though "out of sight out of mind" I was to wet and cold to leave the comforts of the cabin and I'm not really a member of any other group any more so I don't see his shittiness.

One highlight (lowlight?) included a drunk ******* in a Mickey Mouse poncho shaking the entire beer tap tent because BVDL kicked before he got his pour. Volunteers got drenched and snapped. One kept insisting that he say he was sorry. Dude says, "Yeah, I'm ****in sorry... THAT YOU DIDN'T ****IN SERVE ME!!!"

This guy had to have been 40.

I had a pour of Huna but other than that I didn't see anything crazy the 2X I was over there. I missed bourbon DL on tap by about 2 people in what was the shortest line I experienced all day.
2013 was the best year of taps I can remember. I went straight to the guest taps when gates opened and got multiple pours of Rum Barrel Marshal Zhukov and What is Enlightenment? I was passed out by 3pm.

Anyone try French vanilla?
8B785DAB-2D2B-4C3E-87EA-BC88E3ED570A_zpsstdbawnc.jpg

Yes, drank one last night after DLD w mlefevre. Was very sweet and thick as expected. Got mostly coffee in the nose and taste. Not much vanilla at all. Good, not great.

Overall the day was a wet mess w butts to nuts under anything dry. The most frustrating thing for me continues to be them f-ing up the North gate enterance. Funnelling everyone into one small ass tent for bag check is ridiculous. The voucher system was very smart on their part, as they guaranteed their income rain or shine. I am sure last years rain cost them in bottle sales and food revenue. Not accounting for this w increased food and tap line stations was a miss on their part. Oh well would not be DLD w out the rain and lines...

That's odd. I edited my post as I recall the group B line not being let in until 12:45, so I went through a little before 1.
I wasnt looking at a clock the whole time but I headed over to the bottle line a little before 12:30 and I know I'd gone through the line, got my bottles, and was back under a tent drinking with my group by 1. Either way it sound like 12:45-ish, at the beginning of Group B, that both Vanillas were gone.

Due to some communication errors and general drunken logic on our part, our 3 bags of 4 regular DL each are missing. They were in a truck for a while and may have ended up somewhere in the TB tent in the late afternoon. If anyone snatched them up when the tent was torn down and area abandoned please let me know.

Also to the scumbag who stole our 2 bottles of variants from the tent earlier, I hope karma catches up to you.

Due to some communication errors and general drunken logic on our part, our 3 bags of 4 regular DL each are missing. They were in a truck for a while and may have ended up somewhere in the TB tent in the late afternoon. If anyone snatched them up when the tent was torn down and area abandoned please let me know.

Also to the scumbag who stole our 2 bottles of variants from the tent earlier, I hope karma catches up to you.
Were you in the compound? I'll check my truck but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything in there.

Since my bourbon variant's numbers rubbed off, anyone have bottle counts?

From what I saw on a few bottles I believe the following:
French Vanilla Militia - 1103
Porto & Madeira - 1600-ish
Both Ronaldo and Dwarvin Power Bottom were under 500

Temeculan was 840 and Trump and Pump was around 1280 I believe

Were you in the compound? I'll check my truck but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything in there.

Yes, not entirely sure where they ended up. We were waiting in a ridiculously long food line inside when the area was abandoned. I'm hoping someone who was cleaning up at the end picked them up. There was nothing there when we got back.

2013 was the best year of taps I can remember. I went straight to the guest taps when gates opened and got multiple pours of Rum Barrel Marshal Zhukov and What is Enlightenment? I was passed out by 3pm.

same here - right when gates opened it was pours of rum zhukov, VBDL, cat moves and I was "napping" in the share tent shortly thereafter.

14, 15 are my favorite stand out guest brews. 14 had Black Tuesday and King Sue from what I remember having. 15 had Sherry Zhukov, HF Edward and citra, Abraxas, sump, CBS, and DL draft was available pretty much all day at most of the stations.

BB DL is 859.

I wasnt looking at a clock the whole time but I headed over to the bottle line a little before 12:30 and I know I'd gone through the line, got my bottles, and was back under a tent drinking with my group by 1. Either way it sound like 12:45-ish, at the beginning of Group B, that both Vanillas were gone.

this shocks me. i got in the south entrance no later than 12:15 and the group B line had reached the point where i walked about seven feet from backpack check to end of bottle line. definitely took me more than half an hour to get through that line.

i also didn't even try to stand under tents. lines for taps were tolerable before three and i was already soaked from two+ hours standing in rain. i'm not sick today so fun times.

Proposal: next year, on the day of DLD, let's rent out a block of rooms & a conference room at a hotel in one of the near Chicago suburbs, and have an epic anti-DLD bottle share. It'll basically be what most of us go to DLD for anyway, only without the shitty weather and exposure to the greater beer community*.

For the same price as this year's DLD tickets (or previous year's ticket+bottles+food+draft pours), we can each probably get half a room, the conference room, a ton of Kirkland bottled water, and a food spread (and/or a bunch of pizzas), and all the room in the world for beer pong, bags, cards, tunes, whatever.

Thoughts?

kq22pHU.gif

One highlight (lowlight?) included a drunk ******* in a Mickey Mouse poncho shaking the entire beer tap tent because BVDL kicked before he got his pour. Volunteers got drenched and snapped. One kept insisting that he say he was sorry. Dude says, "Yeah, I'm ****in sorry... THAT YOU DIDN'T ****IN SERVE ME!!!"

This guy had to have been 40.

There were some weird dudes there. Often mostly due to the alcohol, e.g. the guy who came up and stood with me under my umbrella (in an open space not really near anyone) without saying a word and while on his phone.

Others, tough to tell whether the alcohol had much to do with it at all. Right after the whole JEG altercation, some bearded middle aged dude (thought may be same but don't recall a MM poncho) shows up and starts giving me a hard time "where'd you cooooome froooom? I dooon't recogniiiize you". Yeah, you don't recognize me because you slowly cut in front of 8 ****ing people yelling random stuff and joking you were going to shank someone. The person in front of you changes every 30 seconds. He then joked about needing his meds. "Joked".

The 3 guys directly in front of me who had just watched the whole JEG thing from a foot away stood there and laughed at this guy being an overbearing dick, and never said a word affirming I was there for the past 20 minutes. Thanks guys.

Hell of a crowd. And not even to the roving thieves yet.

Speaking of the thieves, it would honestly be the easiest sting operation in history if FFF actually cared to go after them. Have someone or a group who is in on it set a bag or two on the ground and "not pay attention" for a bit. Seems like a stocked pond out there later in the day. Would have someone within 10 mins trying to walk off with it.

Proposal: next year, on the day of DLD, let's rent out a block of rooms & a conference room at a hotel in one of the near Chicago suburbs, and have an epic anti-DLD bottle share. It'll basically be what most of us go to DLD for anyway, only without the shitty weather and exposure to the greater beer community*.

For the same price as this year's DLD tickets (or previous year's ticket+bottles+food+draft pours), we can each probably get half a room, the conference room, a ton of Kirkland bottled water, and a food spread (and/or a bunch of pizzas), and all the room in the world for beer pong, bags, cards, tunes, whatever.

Thoughts?

kq22pHU.gif
I'd be down if I knew enough in advance to get the time off work. My only requirement would be that the hotel is in Pequods delivery zone so I can smother myself in sauce again right before passing out.

I'd be down if I knew enough in advance to get the time off work. My only requirement would be that the hotel is in Pequods delivery zone so I can smother myself in sauce again right before passing out.
For a large enough order, I'm pretty sure anywhere in the Chicagoland area could be in Pequod's delivery area.

I'm serious about this idea, by the way. It could be a pretty damn awesome time.

I'll break from the majority a bit and say that, shitty weather aside, this was still a really fun event.

They just need to start planning for rain every year. Extra food booths and an extra tent. The food booths and tents got overwhelmed due to the rain and everyone wanting to leave early. The North line peepee situation is still crazy. Take a small hit and line the cattle run with portajohns on one side. People feel obliged to line up early to get through the bottleneck and that's fair to an extent. But you gotta give people a place to piss if your line is going to take that long.

Guest taps were mostly weak. Too much quantity over quality. I'd rather they have half the taps and have them all be awesome. Getting in early I went straight there. Saw at least a few shelf beer guest taps, some available locally. No wonder they never turned over. Pretty sure Stone IRS was there from open until I left. Only big eye-catching guest taps I saw were Gin Yuzu Fierce and Parabajava (the latter of which was my undoing - two pours of that was too much at once).

All of that said, I left feeling pretty happy about it. Drank good beers, saw good people, ate good food. Worth the $70 "experience" price, all told. Thanks to people not knowing any better, I didn't even have to go home with Bargleswade. Pretty sure it was gone by group E. Ended up with Power Bottom, though I considered Trump n Pump.

I dunno. I'll go back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There were some weird dudes there. Often mostly due to the alcohol, e.g. the guy who came up and stood with me under my umbrella (in an open space not really near anyone) without saying a word and while on his phone.

Others, tough to tell whether the alcohol had much to do with it at all. Right after the whole JEG altercation, some bearded middle aged dude (thought may be same but don't recall a MM poncho) shows up and starts giving me a hard time "where'd you cooooome froooom? I dooon't recogniiiize you". Yeah, you don't recognize me because you slowly cut in front of 8 ****ing people yelling random stuff and joking you were going to shank someone. The person in front of you changes every 30 seconds. He then joked about needing his meds. "Joked".

The 3 guys directly in front of me who had just watched the whole JEG thing from a foot away stood there and laughed at this guy being an overbearing dick, and never said a word affirming I was there for the past 20 minutes. Thanks guys.

Hell of a crowd. And not even to the roving thieves yet.
I was cutting the group A line every time we had to use the piss fence. I had to poop about halfway so it was either going to be the poop fence or I was going to jeg the line. On the plus side I just told people I was important and a lawyer.

13083303_1310701442275145_75804083332763586_n.jpg

Our group was clustered around this section in the South line, and we parked at the Jewish Society building in the background of the pic. Great times in this area of the line that morning and thanks to everyone around for sharing fun stuff.

13062521_1310701388941817_5294810917387523638_n.jpg

LT & Myself getting our yearly picture with Benny Hill, one of these days I've got to compile these from the past 6-7 years.

13095995_1310701362275153_764625321680978108_n.jpg

Myself and Alex (@masterski) who is everyone's favorite Toronto / Chicagoland beer nerd.

Had a good time as always sharing beers with friends outside the gates and at the compound with all the regular faces. Weather was shitty and the lines were stupid after a point early in the day, but made the most of it before our departure around 3pm.

I'll break from the majority a bit and say that, shitty weather aside, this was still a really fun event.

They just need to start planning for rain every year. Extra food booths and an extra tent. The food booths and tents got overwhelmed due to the rain and everyone wanting to leave early. The North line peepee situation is still crazy. Take a small hit and line the cattle run with portajohns on one side. People feel obliged to line up early to get through the bottleneck and that's fair to an extent. But you gotta give people a place to piss if your line is going to take that long.

Guest taps were mostly weak. Too much quantity over quality. I'd rather they have half the taps and have them all be awesome. Getting in early I went straight there. Saw at least a few shelf beer guest taps, some available locally. No wonder they never turned over. Pretty sure Stone IRS was there from open until I left. Only big eye-catching guest taps I saw were Gin Yuzu Fierce and Parabajava (the latter of which was my undoing - two pours of that was too much at once).

All of that said, I left feeling pretty happy about it. Drank good beers, saw good people, ate good food. Worth the $70 "experience" price, all told. Thanks to people not knowing any better, I didn't even have to go home with Bargleswade. Pretty sure it was gone by group E. Ended up with Power Bottom, though I considered Trump n Pump.

I dunno. I'll go back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lets not forget when you disappeared for a few hours. I thought I lost you forever. Glad you're local to me. Because I was in no condition to drive anywhere but home this morning.

Our group was clustered around this section in the South line, and we parked at the Jewish Society building in the background of the pic. Great times in this area of the line that morning and thanks to everyone around for sharing fun stuff.

LT & Myself getting our yearly picture with Benny Hill, one of these days I've got to compile these from the past 6-7 years.

Myself and Alex (@masterski) who is everyone's favorite Toronto / Chicagoland beer nerd.

Had a good time as always sharing beers with friends outside the gates and at the compound with all the regular faces. Weather was shitty and the lines were stupid after a point early in the day, but made the most of it before our departure around 3pm.
****. I missed Benny this year. On the plus side I've seen him at every other beer related thing in the past year.

I met Alex when I went up to Toronto for a training in February, great guy and knows his Chicagoland beer history

lets not forget when you disappeared for a few hours. I thought I lost you forever. Glad you're local to me. Because I was in no condition to drive anywhere but home this morning.

I stumbled over to the place where the building met the fence and sat down. I don't even know how long I was there but I remember two times some people came by and asked if I was okay.

I was half-tempted to make some jokes about finding the shitlord who stole my backpack but with how much theft was going on and how many legal threats were apparently flying, I'm glad I didn't!

Thoughts?

kq22pHU.gif
I like this idea a lot

I stumbled over to the place where the building met the fence and sat down. I don't even know how long I was there but I remember two times some people came by and asked if I was okay.

I was half-tempted to make some jokes about finding the shitlord who stole my backpack but with how much theft was going on and how many legal threats were apparently flying, I'm glad I didn't!
I'm just really glad your keys and cell phone wasn't in there. I was more worried about just leaving you with nothing and no way to get back to the hotel.

I'd love to see a sting operation set up where someone leaves an unattended back pack and when some low life scum tries to steal it he gets his ass kicked by about 5 people.

I don't normally condone violence but that may be the only way some of those ****s learn a lesson to not steal from others.

Last edited:
I'm just really glad your keys and cell phone wasn't in there. I was more worried about just leaving you with nothing and no way to get back to the hotel.

Nah the only thing I really wanted when I woke up was my beef jerky that I had stashed in there. The only bottle I had left was Deth's Tar and I knew by that point in the day most people would probably be refusing pours of it anyway.

All in all it was actually a big help to me because I never had to go back through the nightmare bag-check line.

My synopsis. I am sorry some shitbaga decided to take other people's ****. When the core compound group (elkhunter36 , woodchopper, etc) tried to create a friendly environment to come and share and have a great time became the destination for so many people, I / we kind of figured out that things have changed. We tried to provide a great place with a safe place to hang out. The weather really affects this as lots of people scurry like rats to any war, apot they can. I had a blast. My small issues aside, I love seeing returning members of the compound. Hope everyone that had some enjoyed the breakfast and hot dogs, brats, burgers and other food items we provides. I know it saves some of you. Thank you from one of the founding fathers of the compound for helping making this year a great time.

On a side note. If I ever find out who stole other people's **** and took advantage of our generosity, I will ****ing murder any hopes you have of being welcome at another beer event I ever go to. Thanks again dfor those who made this year's compound the blast it was.

Back