Strength and safety of first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4evrplan

Reaction score
I had never brewed anything until a few months ago. A few years ago, I discovered there are some types of beer I like, when I had before hated all beer I tried. I really dislike anything more bitter than dark chocolate. 70% cacao is perfect; anything more bitter than that is pushing it. More recently, I've been enjoying branching out and trying many different beers. BTW, I love the Untappd app that tells you the IBUs of beers before you buy. With my growing interest, I thought it might be fun to try brewing something, but making beer sounded complicated. I really wanted to try something I could do with the equipment I already had in my kitchen and with ingredients from the local grocery store, just to get a taste for the hobby and see if it was any fun. There are several recipes for mead online that sounded really simple, so I went with that. I combined attributes of many different recipes, but what I came up with is most similar to JAOM (but no cinnamon or clove).

Fast forward to now, and I just tried my first (half) bottle last night. The first thing I noticed was that it was flat. I had added conditioning honey when I bottled it, but I don't think it fermented. I wonder if I killed off all the yeast. The second thing I noticed was the alcohol smell and taste is much stronger than I expected. My wife said it had a vague mold smell to it. I couldn't smell mold, but her nose is more sensitive than mine. I had read from many sources that bread yeast wasn't very alcohol tolerant, so I expected it to be pretty weak, which is just fine with me; I'm a lightweight. I don't have a way to measure the specific gravity, but I can make a comparison. On an empty stomach, even a single beer can go straight to my head. Last night, with food in my stomach and only drinking half the bottle (reused Grolsch bottle), I still felt it. Taste wise, I still prefer beer, but it's alright. I'd say it's closer to a dry wine in flavor. It did turn out very clear with no discernable stuff floating or sitting at the bottom.

So, all things considered, I'm wondering if maybe there's more than just ethanol in my mead. Maybe something else is contributing to how I felt it so quickly? Or is it normal for Fleischmann's dry bread yeast to sometimes produce high alcohol content? Should I be worried about the (alleged) mold smell? At least I don't feel sick at all today.

Yep, you made alcohol and that went to your head. Two disclaimers, I’ve never made JAOM nor am I a chemist.

The majority of the alcohol in your mead is ethanol. Maybe trace amounts of others but not enough to hurt you if consumed responsibly. Even if you got extra wild, you’ll just have a hangover. Not pleasant but not life threatening (within reason).

Some of the JAOMers might be able to weigh in with an estimate of alcohol content if you most the amount of honey and the total volume of liquid (water+honey) you started With.

It was roughly 32 fluid ounces (48 oz. by weight) of a raw unfiltered wildflower honey, a smallish orange, and balance water to make 1 gallon. So I'm guessing around 88 fluid ounces of water. And a few raisins, but those hardly count by volume. It fermented for about 4 weeks. There was no more yeast activity. I also added another 1.5 fluid ounces of honey after I racked it, at the time of bottling, which I don't think fermented at all (it's flat).

That makes me feel better. I've just done some more poking around the web and found a few different places saying that said Fleishmann's can go as high as 14% ABV.

That makes me feel better. I've just done some more poking around the web and found a few different places saying that said Fleishmann's can go as high as 14% ABV.
My first mead I ever made was with Fleischmann's & came in over that. Not too often, but, a fair amount of the time.

Back