danger - injury - extract newbs like me read this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stupid

Reaction score
So, if you are using extract that came in plastic bottle. your water is almost to a boil , you dump the extract in , stir it up, you scrape out the bottle, have a little left in there that you just have to get out.

(here is where my mistake came in)

dont dip the bottle in the almost boiling water , put the lid back on and shake it. it will explode all over over you right about shake number 3. With luck i had a swimming pool 3 feet away to dunk in after 1/2 a second and only got a sunburn.

that does not make any sense to me in terms of physics. if you put hot water into the bottle, it will immediately begin to cool, contract, and will cause the bottle to implode, not explode.

that does not make any sense to me in terms of physics. if you put hot water into the bottle, it will immediately begin to cool, contract, and will cause the bottle to implode, not explode.

I suspect that the cool air in the container was rapidly heated by the near boiling water. Any contraction that takes place is negligible in that space.

Anyhow, glad the OP got out of it with little more than a minor burn.

I usually use a soup ladle and scoop some into the container and use one of the rubber scrappers my wife has for getting every last bit of cake batter out of a bowl. Swirl it around a bit and then dump into the kettle. I'm not concerned with a few drops of LME being left behind. Better than being burnt.

Ya, it was the relatively high volume of air to near-boiling wort. The wort cooled, but the air heated up. With the lid on, this built up pressure, which eventually forced it to escape where it could. If you had swirled the hot wort in the container without putting the lid back on, you would have been fine. Glad the injuries were minor. Thanks for sharing and reminding all of us about the potential dangers in this hobby.

I've always added extract (LME) to my wort at about 150 degrees...Sitll hot, mind you; but not near boiling.

I also heat the containers of LME in hot 180 degree tap water in the deep sink or a bottling bucket for half an hour before adding it to the kettle. It flows better that way and rinses from the container more easily as well. Half an hour gives enough time for the LME to warm up and become less viscous but remain cool enough for you to handle bare handed.

I never refrigerate LME, it is stored at room temperature.

dont dip the bottle in the almost boiling water , put the lid back on and shake it. it will explode all over over you right about shake number 3. With luck i had a swimming pool 3 feet away to dunk in after 1/2 a second and only got a sunburn.

Tip is about 3 weeks too late for me......I was way too embarrassed to post it though. The low ceiling in the basement took the brunt of the explosion.

Damn! Glad you didn't suffer any serious burns. In the Homebrew 101 DVD I got with my kit from Northern Brewer they don't mention scraping out the LME from the bottle.

Just 170 degree water into an Austin's LME tub shook up blows all over the place. No burns, but made clean up more of a task. Luckily, in my shop and not the kitchen.

This happened to me the very first time I brewed. And to top it off, the label on the LME container disintegrated into the hot wort. Boy, did I feel stupid. But, the beer turned out good! Decided right then that I was going to figure out how to go to all grain ASAP.

I've used LME in several brews, and I always do two things to it:

#1: Let it sit in a bath of HOT tap water for 30-45 minutes, and
#2: Rinse out the empty plastic bottle with HOT tap water.

The first step makes the LME pour very nicely. The second step does cause air expansion in the bottle, but I don't put the lid back on. I just hold my hand over the bottle top, shake a few times, and G-E-N-T-L-Y permit the expanded air to escape before pouring liquid into the wort.

glenn514:mug:

I used to add the jug to the water and as it heats up it'll thin out making it pour easier.

I add water from the tap. Except this time (on Saturday) the canister didn't seal up very well, and I got LME-wort all over the kitchen floor in little drops. I had to scrub the sticky floor on my hands and knees before the wife got home. Felt like such a *****.

I dip hot wort into the bottle with a measuring cup, swirl it around and dump, repeat until all the lme is rinsed out - very carefully. No problems so far.

Damn, just jinxed myself...

Why shake?
I also do this at 150-170 (just after the specialty grains finish up and I put the bulk of the LME in). I just dip the jug in, swirl it around, and dump it. It never takes more than a couple of dips to do.

The handle gets hot enough at 150... I can only imagine my burning fingers at ~200.

Back