Cyser Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooCelt

Reaction score
So, I started two one liter batches of cyser a bit ago. Firmentation went very nicely - it dropped out a ton of debris through the process. I racked to secondary when the gravity reading I took was at .999 (which was a recommendation from a friend who brews mead), and it's now sitting in my garage.

Firmentation is pretty much done - have seen no airlock activity in a few days - even after I "back-sweetened" the batches with another half pound of honey.

My question is this: I started out with Honey Crisp cider - which was pretty darn cloudy to begin with. It's now a very nice amber color, but doesn't pass the newspaper test at all. Would adding some pectic enzymes help clear it out or, because of the cider I used initially, am I going to still be looking at a rather opaque amber finished product? Any help would be great!

How long ago did you pitch the yeast? Cider can take many months to clear bright. I have a batch I started in the fall and this morning it has still not cleared bright. It will.. but it takes its time. I guess you could add pectic enzyme now but I am not sure how well the enzyme plays with alcohol. you may need to double or triple the dose..

Awesome. If it's just a matter of re-racking a few times, then that's good news. I was concerned that since I started with a really cloudy cider that it would impact the final clarity of the cyser.

If you add pectic enzyme a couple hours before you pitch your yeast, you should have better success in clearing the pectic haze. As for any other solids, time, cold-crashing and/or gelatin will help with that.

Cyser in secondary. Seeing some sediment dropping out, and no activity in the airlock. Now...the waiting game for it to clear.

12888631_10208186504755318_8418508649562219964_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back