Cru Select 16L Brunello kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cervezarara

Reaction score
I started this kit 9.24.11 per the instructions. Allowed it to ferment from 1.096 SG to 0.996 on 10.9.11, when I added the sulphite package and stirred vigorously, then the potassium sorbate package and stirred vigorously. I degassed for 5+ minutes with my hand-drill degasser attachment, then added finings in the correct order. So far so good.

Instead of racking and bottling at day 42, I allowed it to bulk condition 'sur lie', which was minimal, until 1.15.2012, when I racked it again onto 1/4 tsp of potassium meta-bisulphite. I topped off with ~1/3 bottle of cheap Sangiovese (oxymoron) to minimize headspace.

Now I have a couple of questions.

1) Would it be better to rack and bulk condition this for a few more months? Or should I bottle and condition for 1+ year?

2) If I rack and bulk condition, do I need any more meta-bisulphite? Is there a way to measure/calculate sulphite level in the wine?

3) If I bottle, is any additional meta-bisulphite needed at bottling?

At racking time, the wine was crystal clear (despite being so very dark) and had an amazing flavor. Even young, it put the Sangiovese to shame! I am planning to condition 1-2 years before consuming, and want to be sure it is protected from oxidation, hence the sulphite questions.

I started this kit 9.24.11 per the instructions. Allowed it to ferment from 1.096 SG to 0.996 on 10.9.11, when I added the sulphite package and stirred vigorously, then the potassium sorbate package and stirred vigorously. I degassed for 5+ minutes with my hand-drill degasser attachment, then added finings in the correct order. So far so good.

Instead of racking and bottling at day 42, I allowed it to bulk condition 'sur lie', which was minimal, until 1.15.2012, when I racked it again onto 1/4 tsp of potassium meta-bisulphite. I topped off with ~1/3 bottle of cheap Sangiovese (oxymoron) to minimize headspace.

Now I have a couple of questions.

1) Would it be better to rack and bulk condition this for a few more months? Or should I bottle and condition for 1+ year?

2) If I rack and bulk condition, do I need any more meta-bisulphite? Is there a way to measure/calculate sulphite level in the wine?

3) If I bottle, is any additional meta-bisulphite needed at bottling?

At racking time, the wine was crystal clear (despite being so very dark) and had an amazing flavor. Even young, it put the Sangiovese to shame! I am planning to condition 1-2 years before consuming, and want to be sure it is protected from oxidation, hence the sulphite questions.

1. Doesn't matter
2. If you don't have an S02 meter, you can guestimate the sulfites. I use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon at every other racking and at bottling. Don't use sorbate again, though. I don't like the taste of sorbate and it's not necessary in wines that aren't being sweetened.
3. As #2.

Thanks, Yooper. I have made several kits in the past and have followed instructions pretty closely. Thus, I haven't concerned myself with sulphur levels much. But, after reading more about free and bound SO2, and how these levels and their effectiveness also depend on wine pH, I guess it's time to get a test kit. My LHBS has the Accuvin free SO2 test kit- do you think this would this be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks, Yooper. I have made several kits in the past and have followed instructions pretty closely. Thus, I haven't concerned myself with sulphur levels much. But, after reading more about free and bound SO2, and how these levels and their effectiveness also depend on wine pH, I guess it's time to get a test kit. My LHBS has the Accuvin free SO2 test kit- do you think this would this be a worthwhile investment?

It probably is- but I don't have one. My guestimating has been good enough for me at this point. I know many wine geeks use them with good results.

Back