Cross-country sour transportation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spokangeles

Reaction score
Hi HBT,

So, for various reasons, I have 2 5-gallon batches fermenting now. Here is the jist:

Batch 1:

6.75 lbs 2-row
5 lbs Pilsner
2.25 lbs White Wheat
0.5 oz Nelson @60
1.0 oz Mosaic @5

Mashed @ 156, with a screwy turbid deal, which isn't crucial to the question. Pitched a ton of dregs- Lost Abbey, Bruery, Orval, some Lambics, etc...

OG WAS 1.060

Batch 2 (experiment to capture local microflora... used leftovers just to make wort; also unplanned batch 2/2 for the day, if you get my drift):

7.10 lbs Pilsner
5 lbs Maris Otter
8.5 oz Special B
5.4 oz Aromatic
1 oz Mosaic @FO
1 oz Equinox @FO

Mashed @156, no chill- stirred to whirlpool, then left lid cracked for the night (50's all day and 40's overnight). Don't have OG recorded.

Batch 2 is fermenting well, Batch 1 is not, but I am patient.

If I end up having to pour them both out I'm not really going to be crushed.

This brings us to my actual question: I'm more than likely going to have to move for work in the next month. For various reasons, I don't have access to CO2. Would it be ok to siphon each of these into a five gallon corny keg and prime with sugar to create pressure for the move? I will be able to relieve the pressure during the move.

If this is not ok, I'm more than happy to just collect the dregs in mason jars and try later. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Good question. I think you might be fine.. but lets see what others chime in here with.. (bump to help you out..)

Latest posts

Back