Critique and Advise my yeast handling practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
I use SS Brew Bucket fermenters. The racking arm rotates around as to rack clear beer off the yeast cake.

My practice is to preboil about 4 quart size mason jars and store the water in the sealed jars at cold crash temps along with my fermenter. After racking to a keg, I pour the 4 jars directly into the fermenter and vigorously swirl up the yeast. I let the slurry sit for approximately 15 minutes, then fill back into the same 4 quart jars through the racking port. After letting the washed yeast sit for 24 hours, it’s generally compacted into the lower 1/4 or less of the jar.

I try to use the yeast within a month of storing it. For a higher gravity beer, I might pitch two jars worth. For a lager, maybe more. I’ve had good success with this up until my latest batch. Yeast was about 3 months old. I have no been making yeast starters for any of the batches as the volume of yeast is so large already. What I don’t know is the viability.

Do you guys have a strict practice of making a starter every time with washed yeast? If so why or why not.

How long can you realistically store yeast in the way that I have mentioned.

Would you change anything about my process?

The yeast stores better under the left over beer in the fermentor. Water because it has a different ion content than the interior of the yeast cells will damage the yeast. Short and non scientific wording but osmotic pressure is damaging to the cells.

I’ve had good success with this up until my latest batch. Yeast was about 3 months old.

You don't say what went wrong - no fermentation, or off-flavours? Something to think about is the number of generations you're putting your yeast through - it varies between strains, but many start going weird after repitching ~10 times.

Also if you start with a multistrain (true of many dry yeasts, and some liquid ones) then you are likely to get the blend drifting with each generation.

On the water front - I think it depends on the strength of the beer. I'd dilute it if it was 8% but not if it was 4%, although a lot of commercial breweries tend to bin a batch of yeast once it's been in their highest gravity beers, as the alcohol stress makes it more likely to mutate.

Just slow to take off. I’m used to seeing it bubbling within 12 or less and this one took close to 24. Nothing really “wrong”, just not as fresh as I’ve seen before.

+1 for keeping a layer of beer on the yeast. The alcohol and hops content will provide natural protection from infection. I use the small 4oz mason jars and store them in the back of the fridge in a large food storage container. Even at 4+ months of age, fermentation always kicks off in under 24 hours.

Back