Creating Tap Handle Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twtr25

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good way for me to design some labels for custom made tap handles??

I ask because I don't have PhotoShop. I'm good with a computer, but I've never done any kind of image editing or such, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Illustrator is best for design work like that, but if you have the know-how, you can get by with GIMP. It's like a free Photoshop only not as powerful.

Some of the tap handles I've seen used business card sized labels, so business card software can be used.

i've always just made a custom sized slide in PowerPoint and although it is nothing approaching illustrator or GIMP, it's really easy to make a decent looking label in very little time.

I think I'm going to try to make my own tap handles. So I think getting the proper size will be the most difficult part in creating the label. But I don't think that will be too difficult if I can actually set the dimensions within the program I'm using.

Anybody ever done this themselves??

paint.net is another good free alternative to photoshop.
I've been using it for several months now, there is good website/forum support in using it.

The two programs I was looking at downloading were GIMP or Paint.Net, so for me that's a sign I'm headed in the right direction.

Any suggestions on what kind of paper I should print them out on to get them to look the best? I could use photo paper, but didn't know if it would be fine to just use regular paper and high quality for the print preferences.

Well...I downloaded Paint.net and didn't have much luck in figuring it out. So, I then downloaded GIMP, and had a little more success, but whenever I add text, I have no clue how to change the font style, so it's driving me crazy. I'm about to give up and just go out and buy chalkboard paint :/

It's a shame there's not a program out there called "Creating Tap Labels For Dummies."

get an illustrator book from the library and download the 30 day free trial. once you get the basics down it is a pretty intuitive program.

Back