3D Printed Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jseyfert3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I lost my tap handles during a move. I also recently acquired a 3D printer (Prusa Mini), so I fired up FreeCAD, designed a basic tap handle, and printed it. Cool thing about 3D printing them is I can print them in any color:
IMG_1718.jpg

The handles have threads in the model, and the threads print fine, even on FDM printers. This was the goal, to have a handle that was usable immediately after printing with no threaded inserts or running a thread tap through a hole.

Eventually I'd like to make some custom fancy handles, like the ones bars have. Maybe something like an apple with a leaf for cider, etc.

If you'd like to print your own, I have the files over on Printables: Printables

Full disclosure: I can get some small, but tangible, benefits if my model(s) on Printables are downloaded and liked enough. For example, if I get 100 downloads and 10 likes in a 30-day window, I'll get 50 points (max 200 points per 30 days). With 350 points, I can get a free roll of filament ($30 value), or similar real goods. That said, I'm posting here not to try and get rewards, but because I figured some people here may like to 3D print their own tap handles.

Last edited:
I created an account to download and like it. Maybe some day I will get a use out of it, but thought I’d make a small impact! Prost!

Those look nice! No noticeable layer shift, super smooth! Check out the thread on 3D printing if you haven't done so already.
Thanks! Didn’t know about that thread. I posted there too. I did do a search for tap handles and found no models before I designed mine. Apparently people design them and don’t share on parts sites. :D

Those look nice! No noticeable layer shift, super smooth!
Also late reply, but this wasn't anything special I did, except for buying a Prusa MINI+. On that 3D printing thread, there's a long discussion saying that Prusa is the way to go. I wasn't tinkering for hours or days. I got the kit so it took about 6 hours to put together, and with one little glitch that support helped me fix by re-flashing the firmware, it was very close to just turn it on and print.

I ordered the MK4 to replace it, and I suspect that after the new device bugs are all worked out, the MK4 will be even closer to "turn on and print" than most other printers to-date.

My own opinion after owning one now is that in the not-to-distant future, a 3D printer is going to become a typical home device that you will see in almost every home. Everyone will just have one.

I got my first AirTag the other day. Apple charges $28 for an AirTag ($25 in a 4 pack), but $32 for a basic plastic holder. Go figure. Now sure, you can buy 3rd-party ones for like $2/each on Amazon, but I downloaded a 3D model for a holder someone already made. Took 1.9 grams of filament to print. At $20/kg for filament, that's a mere 4 cents to print, plus another 0.4 cents for electricity.

It's like, why buy this plastic part for $10 or $2 when I can print it for pennies? It's pretty easy to use now, and in the future 3D printers will be as easy as purchase printer, select a model you want to print (if not making your own), and a single tap will send the model to the printer, which will print it. None of the slicing adjustments we have now, tech will improve and eventually these will become plug-and-play. Like a slow, crippled rendition of the replicators on Star Trek. :D

I have been toying with the idea of getting one. Like I said, my brother is really into them and made me a bunch of tool holders, ie socket holders, combo wrench holder and brackets to hang stuff in my shop. I could see the definite use for something like that. I need to do a bit more research on them and get my head around having to learn something else that I am not very good at. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

Back