Cream ale for end of summer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe82

Reaction score
I found a recipe in the brew masters bible (p.264) that seems easy enough and is friendly to my 2.5 gallon brew kettle restriction. Its simple and has a moderate to high ABV, however it doesn't ask for any rice. The July August issue of Brew your Own has a "weed puller Cream ale"(p.20) that calls for rice but this recipe would require a 5.9 gallon brew pot which I don't have, and I only have enough keg space for two five gallon batches at a time. So I am looking a for a good Cream ale recipe that I can make in a 2.5 gal kettle, and am wondering if rice makes any difference. Also one recipe calls for Irish moss and gelatin, and the other calls only for Irish moss.

Recipes are easily scaled. for a 2.5 gallon batch from a 5 gallon batch you just divide it in half. Are you doing partial boils? I would assume so, and I don't see why you couldn't do any extract recipes. Especially for a cream ale that isn't going to need as much body as other styles.

Irish moss and gelatin are mostly just for shts and giggles IMO. They help clear up a beer, but if you don't use them its still going to taste the same. Cream ales are so light colored though, it might be good to have a perfectly clear beer. If you have them use them, or if you have the cash to blow get them and use them, or if you really want a clear beer go ahead. If you don't want to don't worry about it.

And I can't comment on how rice affects a cream ale.

Im doing partials in the 3 gal pot for 5 gal batches. So thats why I shoot for 2.5 gal of wort. With the recipe from the brew-masters bible, I can simply add a bit more water to the 6 gal fermenter, and that should give me plenty of clarifying space to where I can keep things clear by leaving a bit of excess beer on the bottom while racking to the keg, which I think is why they call for 5.5 gals to begin with. The other cool thing with this recipe is that it is a partial grain brew but uses a lot of grain, so that should be fun, and tasty.

I now have a 7.5 gal turkey fryer for full boils. How does this change things? Can I simply follow partial grain recipes? Or does this require modification?

That's not a very good book.

A cream ale should be 20-30 adjuncts. Rice solids/syrup works best of extract batches. The rest should be light extract. It can have any where from one to three hop additions but it is not a very hop forward beer.

Here is a simple example. I've brewed a lot of Cream ale (even have a ribbon from one) but never with extract.

5 lb Light LME
2 lb Rice syrup
1 oz Saaz at 60
.5 oz Saaz at 10
US-05

Should make five gallons at ~ 1.048 and 17 IBU.

Look at my Popcorn Cream in my recipe pull down.

Back