Cream ale suprise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybru4u

Reaction score
Hi, new all grain brewer here, learning lots by my mistakes has been an experience! I made a cream ale and ended up adding too much dextrose and not enough water giving me a hazy 7% cream ale that has a kick but quite impressed by my blunder. It was a double batch and since I misread the recipe for six gallons and account for 5 I needed up a couple gallons short. I decided to keg one batch as is and the other I chose to flavour with orange and vanilla. The latter turned out really nice! I still have a couple days to carbonate but good, good. As for the other original batch, not as impressed.
My question:
Can I flavour a beer after one day carbonation? And also why can't you flavour after carbonation?
Thanks, happy Brewing 🍻

Adding things after carbonation can cause foam, but depending on what you're adding and how much it's not really a big deal. You do however want to try to avoid any oxygen exposure and purge your keg with co2 numerous times after opening it. It's a good idea to have co2 running at like 2 psi when you open the keg to help keep oxygen from going in. If you add hops to carbonated beer, well that can be challenging, foam will aggressive.

Latest posts

Back