Cream ale suprise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybru4u

Reaction score
Hi, new all grain brewer here, learning lots by my mistakes has been an experience! I made a cream ale and ended up adding too much dextrose and not enough water giving me a hazy 7% cream ale that has a kick but quite impressed by my blunder. It was a double batch and since I misread the recipe for six gallons and account for 5 I needed up a couple gallons short. I decided to keg one batch as is and the other I chose to flavour with orange and vanilla. The latter turned out really nice! I still have a couple days to carbonate but good, good. As for the other original batch, not as impressed.
My question:
Can I flavour a beer after one day carbonation? And also why can't you flavour after carbonation?
Thanks, happy Brewing 🍻

Adding things after carbonation can cause foam, but depending on what you're adding and how much it's not really a big deal. You do however want to try to avoid any oxygen exposure and purge your keg with co2 numerous times after opening it. It's a good idea to have co2 running at like 2 psi when you open the keg to help keep oxygen from going in. If you add hops to carbonated beer, well that can be challenging, foam will aggressive.

Back