Crazy Fermentation is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
I brewed on Sunday afternoon and by Monday my beer was fermenting to the point that all the trub was actually swirling around in the carboy. Below is a video of what I mean, it's just going crazy.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGN4gk1LgBk[/ame]

Should I be worried or just happy that the yeast is this active? I've brewed probably 20 or 30 batches and never had one go that crazy, especially in less than 24 hours in the carboy.

Thanks, it's the first time I've used the new White Labs yeast packs versus the tubes I normally use so I was a little shocked to see it going that crazy so soon. This is a total nonsense batch so we'll see where it goes.

2.5 lb's munich grain
7 lb's ligh extract
White Labs Kolsh Yeast
1 oz of Citra hops (15 minutes of boil at the end)
1 oz of German Perle Hops (45 minutes of boil)
1 oz of German Hallertauer (45 minutes of boil)

yeah, that's very normal. wait until you get a real active fermentaion..

what yeast, what temp?

Temp was around 80-90 degrees, I'll look at the exact strain tonight and post. This was my first batch in about a year so things were running a bit fast and loose with the details.

Our Super Cyser sounded like a frying pan for a week and looked like there were fish swimming in it. We have it in a Speidel fermenter so we couldn't see into it like that, but I can only imagine.

Temp was around 80-90 degrees, I'll look at the exact strain tonight and post. This was my first batch in about a year so things were running a bit fast and loose with the details.

That temp is really high. Prepare for some off flavors in that beer. Most ale strains prefer a 60-75 range and even that is a generous range.

The yeast will absolutely love that temperature. Your beer will not. Most ale yeasts should be in the mid sixties at least until 90% of the fermentation is done. Get that cooled down ASAP and hope for the best. I expect this one is going to have a very harsh fusel alcohol bite to it.

To clarify it was between 80-90 when I introduced the yeast, but it went down to my basement to ferment and was down to around 65-70 degrees when I checked it later that night. It's been holding that temp ever since. Two days later the airlock is still jumping every 2 to 6 seconds but the actual beer has stopped swirling around at this point.

Honestly this is my first batch in about a year so as long as it's drinkable I'll be satisfied.

okay, 80-90 is still a little warm. You generally will benefit when your beer is brought to fermentation temperature. so if you play on fermenting at 66 degrees, pitch at 66 degrees, with 66 degree yeast. Perfect world of course. I pitch at 70 or less, then bring it to 66-68 now.

Back