Craig's List Wins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seph

Reaction score
I searched around but couldn't find a similar thread. Post here your wins that you find on Craig's List and the like.

Here is my latest score. Two Sabco converted kegs, and a bunch of hardware. The guy I bought them off left the invoice in the box, and he bought them in 2002! He said that he bought them for a three tier setup, but ended up buying a full setup before he got them plumbed. So one had never been used, and the other was used once to boil maple syrup. The price for all of this? $150

Now I just need to figure out my new setup.

boxes.jpg

kegs.jpg

hardware.jpg

I have had folks give me stuff when they quit brewing, but my best score was to buy out a guy who was moving out of the country. I don't even remember all of what I bought but here is a list of the major items -
100 liter boil kettle
40 gallon plastic fermenter with stand and valves
150 Grolsch bottles
6 corney kegs
stainless burner
portable CO2 system
grain mill
scale
assorted buckets, bottle blaster nozzles, hydrometers, siphon, stoppers, etc.
Case of LME, 5 lb crystal 40, assorted hops.

Cost me $400

I got all the listed items for $85. I think I calculated a new retail cost of $185. I want more 16 oz flip top bottles, but I refuse to buy them new myself. Looking for a killer deal on em.

(20) 16.9 oz Flip Tops (brown)
(15) 16 oz Flip Tops (3 clear, 2 green, 10 brown)
(2) 1 Liter Flip Tops (brown)
(1) 3 gallon glass carboy
(1) 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket with lid
(3) 2 Gallon Fermenting Buckets with Grommeted Lids
(3) 1 Gallon Glass Jugs (used for secondary fermentation)
(1) FastRack Bottle Rack (holds 24 bottles)
(1) Mini Auto Siphon
(1) Regular auto Siphon
(1) 5" Funnel
(1) Beer Bottle Brush
(1) Plastic Spoon
(1) Hydrometer
(4) Airlocks
(3) Drilled Rubber Stoppers
(1) Bottle Filler Wand

A few years back I picked up a bunch of stuff from a guy who was a brewer at one of the bigger craft breweries around here, and was moving out west.
2 corny kegs (ball lock)
2 6.5 gal carboys
1 5 gal carboy,
all for like $80 if I remember right.

Best score was on Offer-Up from a guy who hadn't brewed in years, and decided to give it up, all for $25

2 - 5 gal corney kegs
1 - 10lb CO2 tank (full)
1 - 20lb CO2 tank (half)
1 - regulator
2 - quick connect ball lock connectors

I ended up selling the 20lb tank for $20

Awesome stuff guys. Anyone else have some CL stories or pics of what they picked up today?

I managed to get a full size fridge converted to a kegerator with two shanks and faucets, a 5lb co2 tank, ball lock corny, regulator and assorted gas lines for 100 bucks and then sold the fridge for 20 bucks.

A couple good ones:
Free keezer with a keg. No tap hardware though.
$180 for 7 corny kegs, 3 glass fermenters, and 2 CO2 tanks.
Tons of other stuff bought at a good price that I've been reselling to finance the hobby. A bit of homebrew arbitrage. ;)

Blichmann unused 10g kettle with false bottom, brand new corny keg and a unused Blichmann burner...$100 cash

I've only made three deals through Craig's List but they were good'uns.

- A 17cf top-freezer fridge for $125 (MSRP was $599) advertised as "new condition".
They weren't lyin' - when I arrived to pick it up I found it had literally never been used - still had all the blue tapes holding the drawers and shelves in place for shipping. The owners had just bought the house that week and were replacing all the white appliances (that the seller had clearly just bought to sell the house) with SS.
Yuppies. Gotta love 'em.

- Picked up a second 17cf top-freezer for $100 a few months later, excellent condition, roughly same MSRP. Manufacturer's plate had it at 2 years old. The ask was actually $75 but as the seller was losing their home to the bank I kicked another $25 in.

- But the best score was a NIB Lincoln 180C MIG rig for $300 (MSRP is near a grand).
Totally sketchy deal, lots of drama involved - at one point I suspected I was gonna get rolled.
Works great :D

Cheers!

Thought I did good yesterday until I read this thread I just got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer Johnson controller corny and 6.5 gal carboy for $200

Thought I did good yesterday until I read this thread I just got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer Johnson controller corny and 6.5 gal carboy for $200

It's definitely not as big a bargain as some of the finds people post on threads like this, but when you get what you need for less than you would have paid otherwise, that's a win.

I check my local CL all the time for home brew stuff, but there's never anything good.

Pretty much all dilapidated, old, dirty starter kits and such. Sometimes you come across a keg or two.

Yeah, CL has a ton of old starter kits, but if you're quick you can find the good stuff. The two keggles that I posted about, I just happened to be looking and the guy had posted them 14 minutes before I saw it.

I was reading about how to check CL quick and efficiently on other posts. There's an awesome RSS feed feature at feedly.com . I've been using it to keep a close eye on the latest posts. Instead of searching with the multiple names of items (homebrew, beer bottles, wine bottles, brewing equipment etc), you can search all of them, copy the RSS feed link and chug it into feedly category of 'homebrewing equipment' and it'll keep all the latest posts there in chronological order. Newest at the top.

My 2 Craigslist buys were 2 very heavy duty 10 gallon stainless steel pots for $100 worth at least $100 each. The other was a new Utility sink for $75 - $175 retail.

Wasn't Craigslist for me rather the Letgo App. I was searching for a large pressure cooker to advance my yeast ranching techniques. I found a brand new 20qt pressure cooker for $100, turns out the lady was eyeballing an Airsoft gun for her son that I had posted for sale ($125). Took the pot and $25 bucks gave her an airsoft!! Great score on the Sabco gear!

I just scored three ball lock kegs for 30 bucks each. Really made the drive from Alabama to Baltimore worth it. No I didn't drive that far for kegs luckily I had to be in Baltimore for work the same week the ad was posted.

My first 5 corney kegs were purchased for $5 each. That was pre-internet though. I found them in one of those weekly classifed newspapers that were more popular in the pre-CL days.

Chest freezer for fermentation chamber, $80, works great. But the big find was a 2-tap kegerator for $200. The real win with that one was the full bottle of gas in it, and a 1/2 keg. Opened that up for my keggle.

Got this right after Yooper schooled me on needing higher car for soda. $60 and it was 3/4 full.

2mqlyci.jpg

Recently got a nearly new 10g converted cooler/mash tun and a propane burner for $60. I'm a little hesitant to use the burner though since I have to REALLY crank/tighten the connector onto the propane tank to get it to prime the gas line, but the price was right :)

Grain mill, banjo burner, cooler mash tun, eight pounds of rice hulls, four pounds of corn sugar, brew pot, a couple auto siphons, copper immersion chiller, O2 bottle hose and stone, and other miscellaneous sundries for $100.
The same seller had cornies the previous week for very attractive prices, which I missed.

Brand new 20g Spike Brewing Turnkey system with BCS Wifi 2 element panel. All brand new never setup. $3500

I found my ex wifes Craigslist ad...

It was dirtier than the average brewing equipment.

30K later she was unloaded. Best craigslist score ever.

I did buy some 2.5/3 gallon corny kegs (long gone) for ~12/each, missed a semi full of them by a couple days.

I guess I've had at least one really good score: 45# grain, 20 oz hops, free from a guy moving out of state.
One was a bit of a bust: Last fall I bought a 4.4 cu.ft. fridge for $35. Connected it to an Inkbird for a ferm fridge. I only use it in warm weather, in winter the basement is good. This week it died, I only got three batches from it.
On balance I'm still ahead.

20lb CO2 tank. Out of date container.
$40 +$10(shipping) =$50 total

I said it was out of date. In many cases that could be a problem.
But my local CO2 dealer exchanges tanks instead of refilling them. Just like Blue Rhino propane. So when I exchanged out the old empty one, I got a brand new hydro-tested FULL one for $15. WHOOT!

Local brewery Zaftig expanded into their new digs and posted their original draft setup for the "tap room". It was a large (26 cf) keezer complete with dual 3 tap towers and Johnson Control thermostat for $100.

By far my best CL pick up.

10 ball lock corny kegs for $250 was worth the hour drive. Sold a few after cleaning and testing, kept 5 for my collection.

I also picked up a 120k mile 97 VW Golf in 2010 in San Fran for 300 bucks. Needed only a $12 ignition switch. Probably my Best Buy yet.

Purchased two ball lock corny kegs for $50. Spent a few bucks on new O-rings...cleaned them...perfectly good to go.

Also scored a 5cf chest freezer on CL for $40...talked the guy down from $60...has worked 1.5 years now with no problems.

Just scored a Malt Mechanics conical fermenter for $80...haven't used it yet...but it was brand new and hasn't had one batch through it. Can't wait to give it a shot.

Back