Couple of questions before building a single vessel eBIAB type setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybarnes

Reaction score
I've got my parts list assembled, and I think I know what I am doing now. I'm aiming to build a small (2/3 gallon) eBIAB system using 120v heating elements, a PID controller and a re-circulation pump. I've read plenty here and understand 95 percent of the process. I just have a few last minute questions.

Firstly, I'm assuming that you need a steaming pot to make sure the bag doesn't come into direct contact with the heating element. Can I get one of reasonable size and plop it in my 32qt kettle, or do I need something like a Bayou with a lip to catch the basket so it stays suspended above the heating element?

Secondly, is there any concern in using my immersion chiller I built awhile back? Does the residual heat of the heating element make it difficult to chill quickly enough?

Thirdly, does anyone see a problem with using this small pump for these small batches?

I'm aiming for minimal cost on this project of course, so any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
the basket is nice since it keeps the bag clear of the element and it makes it easy to get in and out. with such small batches that probably isn't an issue. i've have use the bayou setup with good success. bayou setup is also fairly cheap and comes in lots of different sizes. others have used other baskets and bolted legs to the bottom. i've also seen a sort of false bottom to keep the bag off the element but i've never done anything like that. you can see my bayou classic setup here:

http://www.hommelhomebrew.com/?p=57

i used an immersion chiller without issue. i've moved to a counterflow so i can keep the lid on post boil without any unnatural acts. i put a hook on on my immersion chiller to keep it off the element and to brace it against my recirculation setup but other have just stuck it in without issue. definitely no issue with residual heat. once the element is off it doesn't hold any residual heat that i've noticed.

the pump seems a bit sketchy since it's designed for solar panel hot water, not boiling wort. it doesn't say that its food grade and it's max is 212 and since you'll be pumping boil worth through it to sanitize it seems you'd want to give yourself some buffer there. for example, a chugger pump is food grade to 250F.

Minimal cost - you don't need a pump nor a basket.

The bag can actually touch the element, but some setups such as, bags interfering with the element to temp probe communications, too fast a pump flow causing lack of wort on element (scorching), and temperature probe placement will need a basket/false bottom/screen over the element/probe area.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up getting a new Bayou 24qt with the basket, it was cheap enough (about the same as custom false bottom like the one above), and I won't have to worry about much.

I've put in the order for everything except the pump. I figure I'll get the system up and running with out the pump, and make that investment next payday.

I suppose I should start up a build log thread once I get the parts in...though I'm really not doing anything new with this build.

Back