yet another strike water volume question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypicalNerveCell

Reaction score
So, after a long hiatus, I am getting ready to get back into brewing, using my new diy brewery (partially seen here: Typicalnervecells typical diy electric brewing build. ).

Now, I'm pretty sure I did the maths, but this was prior to covid even, so I suppose a second opinion wouldn't hurt. The thing is, due to needing the malt pipe to clear the heating element, and the general size of the boil pot, I need to fill approximately 10 liters before there is any liquid inside the malt pipe. For a lot of all grain kits, 19L or so of strike water is common, so here is my question: would you simply use the water amounts in the recipe as is, or would you do any adjustments?

For the record, I will be using a circulation pump.

Ignore what the recipe says about strike water. You need to have enough water so that you have a minimum of about 2 - 2.5 L/kg in the malt pipe. Any less than that and you will have trouble stirring the grain bed during mash-in. So you have to add the volume under the malt pipe plus the volume between the malt pipe and kettle wall to 2.x * the kg of grain to get your strike volume.

You will need to experiment with your system to find out just how thick you can mash and still be able to dough-in and recirculate.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back