Country music's fixation on ICE COLD BEER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we are all on this negative train....

I will go against the flow and say that my wife was born on a beef farm and grew up listening to country. She got me listening to it recently and many of the songs I actually like. Most country music has lyrics that apply to daily life, all of them are clean and tell a story of the struggles we go through on the day to day as well as the beauty of life and love.

I am pro-America and pro-guns so Toby Keith's songs about the red white and blue and our military I find to be very patriotic and American.

Mainstream Pop and hip hop lyrics? 95% of them are about drugs, cheating on your significant other, abusing women, being a 'gangsta', spending money you don't have on "bling", etc.

Maybe the fact that Pop/Hip hop is the favorite music of generation Y is the reason we have so much hate in this world today.

I'm an "old fart" and I grew up in the late 50's early 60's when Rock and Roll was really Rock and Roll not the crap they call Rock today. Back then much of "Country" music was just like Rock and Roll. Shoot's Elvis was both, Johnny Cash the same. With the British Invasion Rock and Roll began to die but Country remained true.

So here I am just about 70 and I LOVE MY COUNTRY MUSIC. Here is a song for you guys that dated girls that loved it buy you didn't. But it's the reverse. The singer loves his Country and the girl does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think blaming generational problems on music/TV/videogames/movies/whatever is stupid. Everyone tries to do it but it's really a culture thing dependent on the environment you grew up in. USA was never a loving happy go lucky country. Slavery, Jim Crowe laws, profiling pretty much every ethnic group that came into this country from the Irish, to the Italians to eastern Europeans, to Chinese and Japanese. In WWII we made an internment camp for US citizens based on their nationality? How is that loving?

Any issues we have as a country are cultural and music reflects culture, it doesn't direct it.

Ya know after 911 I talked to a number of Americans of Japanese ancestry and they could understand the internment camps. A lot of people back then and still now would at least send all non-citizen Muslims back to where they came from. Not saying where I stand on that issue. But his is a bit off topic.

What's even the definition of country music these days? I feel like it's more and more defined by singing about trucks, ice cold beer, fried chicken after church, and shopping at wal-mart.

Then there's guys like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvC9w73iXRU

Who sing about stuff that not just us backwater inhabitants experience.

Sounds more like Folk to me. Not Country. Can't picture anyone in a Honky Tonk dancing to that.

Wait, so rock and roll began to die when it started getting good? No disrespect to Elvis, but I'd take the Beatles over him any day of the week. And I'd certainly take Led Zeppelin over any band ever. Sayign that something got bad because you no longer like it is silly. Elvis and Cash weren't the only rock stars. The stuff the beatles did was musicalyl tame compared to what guys like Chuck Berry were doing. What the Beatles brought that made Rock great and why their legends is they brought the idea of writing primarily your own music. Which I'm very happy for.

Wait, so rock and roll began to die when it started getting good? No disrespect to Elvis, but I'd take the Beatles over him any day of the week. And I'd certainly take Led Zeppelin over any band ever. Sayign that something got bad because you no longer like it is silly. Elvis and Cash weren't the only rock stars. The stuff the beatles did was musicalyl tame compared to what guys like Chuck Berry were doing. What the Beatles brought that made Rock great and why their legends is they brought the idea of writing primarily your own music. Which I'm very happy for.

Yes Rock and Roll began to die and Rock was born. Big difference and oh yea the Black Rock and Roll guys were just as great as Elvis and Johnny. Can't take anything away from Chuck Berry, Fats Damino, Sam Cook, Little Richard, the Supremes and so on.

Beatles might have been "tame" compared to Chuck Berry, but it change as they developed and became something other than what I call Rock and Roll.

I F-ing can't stand the Beatles. I know a lot of the bands I listen to were inspired by them, but I haven't heard one song of theirs I like. F-bomb them.

back on topic: I like country music, not "cross-over" country. and more than anything, I hate hearing about that crap from their fans and all the "I'm country/cowboy because I like Big & Rich." kind of folk.

I guess I'm at odds with most of the posters here, there is a Davis Allen Coe cd in the deck of my truck right now.

The other day I drove right past a beverage place claiming to have "The Coldest Beer in Town" to go to the local Irish Pub where they have the tastiest beer in town served at a decent temperature with absolutely no country music in the background. I enjoyed it very much.....

Bluegrass, Folk, etc. are NOT country as far as I know. Even old country is a different animal than Solo Cup and whatever else those doushes are cranking out on the CMAs.

POP country is what is being skewered here, not Johnny Cash.

For the record, my opinion was only directed at modern country also. Oddly enough, when I listen to the older country that I enjoy, my wife doesn't like it. New country pop is a cancer on the pimple of good, old outlaw tunes.

James McMurtry is a BADASS, I can even handle Lyle Lovitt. I by no means dislike acoustic music or country as a whole.

The overdone twangy fiddles I can do without, the rehashed and recycled chords I despise, but original unpretentious music of any kind is welcome in my ears.

James McMurtry is a BADASS

Love that guy. Wouldn't label him country as much as folk or americana. Toby Keith, Rascal Flats, Brad Paisley, etc. aren't even country anymore. It's like a brand of Nashville pop music with dudes singing in women's jeans. There are true, modern country guys carrying on good country songwriting. Ray Wylie Hubbard, Turnpike Troubadours, Corb Lund, and Hayes friggin Carll to name a few. You just need to look for them...mostly in Texas. I don't know that any of them sing about ice cold beer either.

I happen to like ice cold beer. I will walk right past a warm beer to get to a nice cold beer anyday.....Then I will put the warm beer in a cooler to drink later

There are many occasions where and ice cold beer is the greatest thing you'll ever drink. If I'm out breaking my back doing yard work I'm not going to be in the mood for a stout, but an American Lager on the edge of frozen would be pretty damn good.

As far as country music is concerned the current incarnation of it can take a hike. I was raised with the nitty gritty dirt band, oak ridge boys, kenny rodgers which transitioned in to garth brooks, clint black, alan jackson, randy travis etc. I didn't really love it, but I didn't loathe either. When I started high school is when I sort of divorced myself from having to listen to it. I think that also coincided with the rise of pop country. Pop country has gone the way of pretty much all pop music these days, tons of fluff and zero substance.

I can't handle country music of most any sort, but I love good bluegrass. My wife doesn't understand it, but there are some obvious differences if you listen to them.

As far as cold beer? I'd LOVE one right about now. It would make being out back sorting parts a little more enjoyable. 3 out of 3 people sorting with me agree.

Love that guy. Wouldn't label him country as much as folk or americana. Toby Keith, Rascal Flats, Brad Paisley, etc. aren't even country anymore. It's like a brand of Nashville pop music with dudes singing in women's jeans. There are true, modern country guys carrying on good country songwriting. Ray Wylie Hubbard, Turnpike Troubadours, Corb Lund, and Hayes friggin Carll to name a few. You just need to look for them...mostly in Texas. I don't know that any of them sing about ice cold beer either.

THANK YOU!

I am sure that there is good current country out there,I just never take the time to sort through the crap.

91.9 wfpk is the local npr music station, and they are awesome.

I heard Mcmurtry on there and he even came here and played a free waterfront concert for them, otherwise I would never have heard of him.

Likewise, Josh Ritter, Mason Jennings, Todd Snyder, Tift Merritt, etc. are some others that I have discovered that you should check out.

I will put your recomendations into Pandora tonight!:mug:

And yes varmintman, you are still victorious over your nemesis "Tasteable beer man"!!!;)

Ice cold ANYTHING numbs the taste buds and makes crap like bud taste better because you taste it less.

(you do realize that when we say "serving temp" that we aren't putting beer in the microwave? Right?)

If you drink a yummy stout "ice cold" it is not a matter of preference, you are missing out on flavor.

And yes varmintman, you are still victorious over your nemesis "Tasteable beer man"!!!

Ice cold ANYTHING numbs the taste buds and makes crap like bud taste better because you taste it less.

(you do realize that when we say "serving temp" that we aren't putting beer in the microwave? Right?)

If you drink a yummy stout "ice cold" it is not a matter of preference, you are missing out on flavor.

My browns I enjoy right out of the cellar temp but it is 40F in there right now. I think my aversion to warm beer came about from the time when as a kid swimming in the canal a can of coors came floating down to us. To a 14 year old boy this was mana from heaven.....until we tasted it. Who knows how long it had been in the canal floating along but we had to act manly and chug it down with great gusto claiming how good it was. I still kinda hurl a little in my throat just thinking about that

My browns I enjoy right out of the cellar temp but it is 40F in there right now. I think my aversion to warm beer came about from the time when as a kid swimming in the canal a can of coors came floating down to us. To a 14 year old boy this was mana from heaven.....until we tasted it. Who knows how long it had been in the canal floating along but we had to act manly and chug it down with great gusto claiming how good it was. I still kinda hurl a little in my throat just thinking about that

Wow! lol. No wonder you developed super human varmint abilities!

Nah, 40F is good. "Ice cold" is slapping it in the freezer until it is 32F.

That's quite a horror story.

But beer does have various temps. The American Lager should be drank need freezing, lagers aroudn 40, light ales aroudn 45 and bigger beers warmer than that. I had an experience with Dogfish's worldwise Stout drunk cold and I hated it. But when I had it at room temp it was fanstastic. All kinds of delicious esters I didn't pick up before.

That's quite a horror story.

But beer does have various temps. The American Lager should be drank need freezing, lagers aroudn 40, light ales aroudn 45 and bigger beers warmer than that. I had an experience with Dogfish's worldwise Stout drunk cold and I hated it. But when I had it at room temp it was fanstastic. All kinds of delicious esters I didn't pick up before.

DFH actually says you should taste all of their beers at room temperature to fully experience the flavor.

The thing about Country music is, as someone said before, it panders to an audience. I'm not hating on Christian music, but sometimes I wonder if a ****ty band ever signs to a Christian label and writes their songs a certain way for a while so that they can gain some sort of exposure due to Christian music being such a niche market. Likewise, I wonder how many Country singers don't find success until they decide to play dress-up and sing a different song.

And something everyone should know about the music industry is that it is dictated by album and track sales. Nowadays the majority of CD buyers are in middle school, high school, or go to concerts for the sheer fun of seeing live music (or looking cool because you're at a concert :rockin:) When 15 year-old girls are given the power to shape popular music, things aren't going to look so hot. In the meantime, I just turn off the radio and listen to Spotify where I HAVE THE POWER! Plus if you want to find new music, you can browse similar artists to the ones you listen to, you can create online radio streams based on songs or playlists, and you can search for other people's playlists. I know this is starting to look like a Spotify infomercial but my real point is that radio is for people who want to listen to it and for those of us who don't we can always use various online radio services. 8tracks is also pretty nice (though I don't have much success with their mobile app).

Also, I love how Country lovers and Rap lovers hate each other despite the similarities in the music.

1. Songs about vehicles with oversized tires.
  2. Songs about partying.
  3. Songs about girls with big butts.
  4. Songs about being rich.
  5. Songs about being poor.
  6. Songs about love.
  7. Songs about lust.
  8. Songs about hate
  9. Songs about fights.
  10. Songs about credibility.

And the single thing I hate most about modern Country is the way singers sing about "being Country". Seriously. You have to sing about it? How credible ARE you? Did someone say you aren't Country?

dudius said:
[*]Songs about vehicles with oversized tires.
[*]Songs about partying.
[*]Songs about girls with big butts.
[*]Songs about being rich.
[*]Songs about being poor.
[*]Songs about love.
[*]Songs about lust.
[*]Songs about hate
[*]Songs about fights.
[*]Songs about credibility.

If this is all you think country is about, the you aren't listening very closely. It's not for everyone, but the ones that can actually relate, it provides a release from the world. Much like any other genre provides it's listeners.

If this is all you think country is about, the you aren't listening very closely. It's not for everyone, but the ones that can actually relate, it provides a release from the world. Much like any other genre provides it's listeners.

I'm just talking about the poppy **** they play on the radio for the 8 hours I'm at work. I understand not all Country is all the same, and I enjoy probably 1 out of 10 songs I hear while I'm at work. My list wasn't about all Country songs, just showing that there are a lot of songs that make Country and Rap alike.

I'm just talking about the poppy **** they play on the radio for the 8 hours I'm at work. I understand not all Country is all the same, and I enjoy probably 1 out of 10 songs I hear while I'm at work. My list wasn't about all Country songs, just showing that there are a lot of songs that make Country and Rap alike.

Oh, snap! Do you work at the Tractor Supply??

Oh, snap! Do you work at the Tractor Supply??

No lol. I work at a factory in town and most of the people I work with listen to country music. Usually I listen to headphones but my boss said I couldn't anymore so my only redemption is when the Red Wings and Tigers play. I pretty much sing along to all the songs I can just to cope with how much I dislike them.

Country music takes me back to my childhood, so I gotta love it but what really rocks is some BLUEGRASS Music! You just can't help but tap your foot along with that!
:rockin:

I listened to bluegrass for a week on a trip to Kentucky in high school. I grew to like it quite a bit :rockin:

Also, I love how Country lovers and Rap lovers hate each other despite the similarities in the music.

2. Songs about partying.
  6. Songs about love.
  7. Songs about lust.
  8. Songs about hate
  9. Songs about fights.

And the single thing I hate most about modern Country is the way singers sing about "being Country". Seriously. You have to sing about it? How credible ARE you? Did someone say you aren't Country?

Country-rap is pretty close to the top on my signs o'the apocalypse list. I've never recovered from the first time I heard 'Honky Tonk Bodonkadonk'. Who could have ever guessed that wouldn't even be the worst song Toby Keith recorded

Singing about being country is a staple of the genre friend!

[ame]http://youtu.be/27ewOMNqkYA[/ame]

2. Songs about partying.
  6. Songs about love.
  7. Songs about lust.
  8. Songs about hate
  9. Songs about fights.

You forgot a big one....GUNS!!!! Only rednecks and gangstas love their guns more than they love themselves.

They iz just keepin it REAL......:drunk:

All beers served at Twin Peaks here are served at 32 degrees into a frozen glass pitcher.

In places like that (where I find myself without a good reason to go elsewhere) I refuse a fresh glass. I ask them to re-use the glass I just finished and I let it warm up a bit before diving in.

Country-rap is pretty close to the top on my signs o'the apocalypse list. I've never recovered from the first time I heard 'Honky Tonk Bodonkadonk'. Who could have ever guessed that wouldn't even be the worst song Toby Keith recorded

Singing about being country is a staple of the genre friend!

http://youtu.be/27ewOMNqkYA

Dude, Toby Keith never recorded 'Honky Tonk Bodonkadonk' it was Trace Adkins. It's not always the words. The music has to be danceable as well.

Come on guys, how can you not love this song? It's got everything in life in it.
1-a truck
2-cold beer
3-beautiful girl
4-love makin'
5-skinny dippin'

It's an All American Dream come true. :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same difference

this right here shows the ignorance of every person that labels country music as crappy. You cannot just lump two different artists to the same song, make an overstepping argument about it and then brush off the technicality of being full of *hit. You sir, have no grounds to judge anything. BE INFORMED before casting judgement.

this right here shows the ignorance of every person that labels country music as crappy. You cannot just lump two different artists to the same song, make an overstepping argument about it and then brush off the technicality of being full of *hit. You sir, have no grounds to judge anything. BE INFORMED before casting judgement.

It's not like he mistook a Beatle's song for Alice Cooper. Toby Keith and Trace Adkins are both pretty similar as far as style.

And let me ask you this, how does someone having an opinion on something make them ignorant? Perhaps what you meant is that people who don't share your opinion of country music are ignorant?

Let me just make a leap and guess that you hate RAP.

Does that mean that you need to be well informed about the different styles and rappers?

Didn't think so.:drunk:

Does that mean that you need to be well informed about the different styles and rappers?

C'mon Cheezy. We all know that before you form an opinion about something such as music you must first have an authoritative level of experience with the genre. You can't dislike something unless you devote years and years to making sure you dislike it by listening to every last shred of it.

Back