Extreme Cold Crash- Errant Ice beer attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew J-Beer

Reaction score
Left some mediocre Mexican Brown Ale that I made as an all grain recipe out in the shed in bottles during the cold snap. I say mediocre when I really should say not too good result I ended up bottled. It was drinkable though had esters galore and probably I was outside my mash temperature range despite attempts to contrary and ferment temps fluctuated too much too- result was as noted esters galore or as I research and learn more- likely Phenols. That said and I did search on this topic since I often read others posts though rarely post a thread since finding more experienced members of this group often point out errors in others posts or that the post topic has already been handled elsewhere and I respect the level of information posted here and thanks for all that.
Anyway, that was why several bottles were left out in this extreme cold snap...I am fortunate none of the bottles outright froze and glass gave out since this happened a while back when I left out a commercial pilsner in cheap clear glass.
Anyway to get to my point, I brought the bottles in and let the slush settle as it warmed. One of the bottles, the cap gave out when it went to freeze it seemed and the beer was flat though in the interest in advancing brewery science I did imbibe it and it just tasted like a flat beer from college that we left out overnight but drank the next morning anyway. The other bottles, I write about and you probably say thanks for finally getting to the point. It seemed to me after this extreme freeze or rudimentary attempt at ice beer- the beer had improved and seemed less Phenols and better to the taste? Is this is even possible or does brewery science which many know more about say no that is not the case- not possible. Interested to hear your views.
I should have accurate specific gravity and ABV etc, on this beer along with times and all that important information so many of you capture so well but this was my first grain batch that went none too smoothly with my hands full so not recorded. evaluating software to get this part of my home brew game improved.

That is real helpful info on the Kolsch- I have a kit ready to brew Kolsch and seeing about possibilities- it is still real cold outside and most instructions seem to recommend while lagering is necessary on Kolsch, it may not need to not stay in primary all that long and can bottle (or Keg for those who are setup for that) pretty quick in perhaps a 2-3 weeks tops? There are a lot of good articles and information in these posts on Homebrew about what yeasts do better under what conditions to deliver a good final product depending on the beer style and I find the information fascinating though have not hit my stride and getting all these settings dialed in.

My house yeast is 2565 and I ferment all the same. Pitch at 55*-58* it will krausen and get to the top of the big mouth. Somewhere between day 3 and day 5 I bump it up to 64* until the action subsides, then take it down to somewhere between 42 in the winter and 52* in summer. The whole time frame is 3-4 weeks primary depending on OG. I keg and hopefully can stay 4 weeks in the lagerator at 33*,but as you know if a spot opens in the kegerator it'll go on tap, but it's always best at 8-10 weeks GtoG.

Back