Counterflow Christening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillWyn

Reaction score
Just finished building a counter flow chiller. I remember reading somewhere about running a vinegar solution through it before I use it. Can't remember what the solution ratio was. Also, I have a brass compression fitting for my dip tube. Boil that in something to remove lead from the surface?

Not sure about the copper and vinegar. For brass, Palmer, in his book, suggests immersing the metal in a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar (1:3 ratio I believe). You watch the metal, and when it turns a buttery yellow you remove it from the solution. If it starts to turn green, you need to rinse the parts and start over. Hope that helps.

The vinigar water is just a mild acid to clean residue off the copper. However, if it was refrigeration tubing with caps on both ends, it's just about ready to go. I'd just run some boiling water through before using.

Latest posts

Back