Reviving counterflow chiller from storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrShroom

Reaction score
Hello! I have not brewed in a number of years now, but am eager to get back into the hobby. I have been getting my equipment ready and cleaned up in preparation for a comeback brew, but I am concerned with my counterflow chiller. The inner tube (copper) appears to have had some liquid in it while in storage, and the ends of the copper appear to have green build up (verdigris). My concern is with the condition inside of the tubing. How can I be sure that there is not a build up of the toxic verdigris I have been reading about? If there is, what is recommended to remove the build up, or should I just spring for a new chiller? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Welcome to the forums @DrShroom :mug:

You might try recirculating a heated 1:4 solution of white vinegar with water and observe the result. If the solution turns green you'll know there was indeed verdigris inside the tubing. At that point you can decide if you want to pursue the matter via repeated recirculation using fresh solution until it runs clear - or bag the chiller for a stainless version...

Cheers!

The SS racking cane comes with an optional cleaning kit that has a flexible brush that fits into mine. After a cip I push the brush thru from both ends and then flush. That racking cane is one of my best upgrades.

Back