Counterflow chiller....plumbing and mount??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
13E78CBD-3145-44B6-94C0-5D31B61DFE1A.jpeg
Hi there, just wondering how you may have plumbed and mounted your CF chiller. I’m tinkering with suspending it from a u-shape box. Are there any quidelines as to how high a chiller should be in relation to kettles and pumps? Also does your in coming wort and water both enter from up top and work down, or have one entering up high and the other down low? Purchased at morebeer, but no directions were included. I disassemble to clean, but I did have a stainless tee and temp gauge thread at the bottom right. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I do not have mine permanently mounted. It sits on a shelf until brew day. I have the cold water entering the top of the coil and the hot wort entering the bottom. I have a Stout Stainless unit, so the water connections are cam lock and the wort connections are tri clamp. Makes assembly and disassembly quick and easy.

I don't know how yours will work, but I have the Stout stainless CF chiller and when I turn on either the hot wort or sometimes the water, the coil will expand causing the ends to move in opposite directions...maybe an inch or a bit more. I've never measured it, and mine sits free on a shelf under the kettle with only the four hoses connected to it, so it is free to expand and contract.

I have the piece of plywood and a couple plastic putty knives keeping it level so the water and wort will flow out when I disconnect.

cfccloseup.jpg

If I were you, I would hook up the system to chill boiling "wort" (i.e., water) with cold water, and see if the unit moves. You wouldn't want to clamp it down tight only to have the expansion pop a solder joint.

I tried the balancing act too, but always seem to bump into it, so I’m going to build a caddy for it. Nothing like the $200 caddy you see advertised, but wood and suspended for its bracket.

Back