Counterflow chiller blow-out tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyg

Reaction score
Since I’ve gone to a counterflow chiller, I’m really happy with the chill of the wort out of the boil, but there’s a couple of shortcomings discussed here at length. I’ve addressed the gravity flow issue by getting the inexpensive bayite BYT-7A015 DC 12V 2.1 gpm Solar Hot Water Heater Circulation Pump (I sourced from amazon).

The second issue is draining the chiller itself. The (both wort and cooling) don’t drain particularly well, and freezing damage is a threat. So, I’ve adapted the following to blow out both coils with compressed air.

Parts: One Amflo compressed air trigger, one 1/8 x 1/8 npt close nipple, one ¾ mpt x 1/8 fpt bushing, one banjo quick disconnect garden hose fitting, one ¾ mpt x 3/8 tubing adaptor, and a bit of 3/8 tubing.

The banjo quick disconnects are what I use to hook the counterflow chiller up to my garden hose. The pictures hold the complete assembly, then illustrate the assembly hooked to blow out the wort tubing, and then one hooked to blow out the counterflow hose. I hook it to my compressor, and quickly pressure assist evacuation of the cooling coil and the wort coil following circulation of the wort, and the boiling water cleaning liquid.
2018-07-18 10.35.23.jpg
2018-07-18 10.36.04.jpg
2018-07-18 10.37.02.jpg

Back