Could it have fermented in only 11 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davevjordon

Reaction score
I've only done 4 or 5 batches before. I would let them ferment for 2 weeks. Sometimes I take a FG reading, sometimes I don't. One of my two batches fermenting now is on day 11. What do you think if I take a reading, and IF it's down to 1.010 (that's a big "IF") just call it "done", cold crash and keg?

Yeast will probably clean up a bit more with another week, so the beer MIGHT taste better giving it a few more days before kegging, but that's up to you. 1.010 is a pretty good indicator (depending on strain and recipe) that the beer is done fermenting. Most ales won't get below that number - some saisons have that I've done.

Update: FG was 1.006 ! ! ! Fermentation bucket now in the keezer, getting cold-crashed. I hate to do it, but I may let it sit in there for just over 2 days before racking to the keg (about 50 hours from now). Thank you all for the advice.

Interesting topic. I try to turn an ale around in 2-3 weeks if I can. 5-7 days primary ferment, 2-3 days diacetyl rest at slightly higher temp, 2-3 days cold crash and fining at as close to -1 Celsius (30F) as I can get. Kegging and carbonation take about a week. Not a fan of vigorously rocking the Keg to induce Co2 into solution.

For future brews, the end of your fermentation is not determined strictly by a recommended amount of time or by a particular FG. Fermentation is done when toward the end of the expected ferm period (usually 10-14 days for ales), consecutive FG readings a couple days apart are the same, regardless of the number.

I brewed a Wit last Saturday, 2nd hydrometer sample matched the first at 1.012 so it's done. No off flavors, no residual yeastiness, so I'm kegging it tomorrow. Most of my beers get turned around in 7-10 days (yes, I'm impatient) unless it's a big beer. +1 on what GHBWNY said as well. I'm not going to crash this one since it's a Wit and I want it cloudy.

For future brews, the end of your fermentation is not determined strictly by a recommended amount of time or by a particular FG. Fermentation is done when toward the end of the expected ferm period (usually 10-14 days for ales), consecutive FG readings a couple days apart are the same, regardless of the number.

After you've done 20 brews and you find that they all have reached FG at day 10 you can just keg at day 10. Saves you opening up the fermenter twice, introducing oxygen and who knows what else. I agree that monitoring gravity is good practice for newbies and for bottlers though.

:mug:

After you've done 20 brews and you find that they all have reached FG at day 10 you can just keg at day 10. Saves you opening up the fermenter twice, introducing oxygen and who knows what else. I agree that monitoring gravity is good practice for newbies and for bottlers though.

:mug:

Agree. I pull an FG sample through the grommet hole in the lid with a 100ml syringe with a 12" plastic tube extension on it.

Fermentation complete? Definitely. If the krousen has fallen then it's most like pretty much finished.

The only thing you have to consider now is if you want to let it sit and and do a little of the (I know I'm opening a can of worms here) secondary. But I don't mean transfer it. I mean let it sit and rest and finish up all the micro stuff we don't see.

Or you can just cold crash, clarify, and bottle/keg.

Whatever floats your boat. My pale ale tastes best, and won a blue ribbon 8 weeks after brew day so I see no point in pushing most beers through that quickly (except a blonde Ale or English bitter). I usually aim to get beers into a keg about a month after brew day, and I don't bother with a secondary fermenter.

If it tastes good to you, keg it.

Back