Corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. But I use once used synthetic corks. My local wine shop has piles of them. I use the ones that aren’t punctured all the way through. Give them a sanitary bath and push them in.

Got em -- tested -- looking good!

Bottling end of May [emoji111]
0519191529.jpeg

DUDE! Those are the wrong ones. You gotta use the ones with the black plastic gripping part! The white ones make your bottles look funny.:p

Actually that looks pretty good. I might get some white ones for my cobalt blue bottles.

DUDE! Those are the wrong ones. You gotta use the ones with the black plastic gripping part! The white ones make your bottles look funny.:p

Actually that looks pretty good. I might get some white ones for my cobalt blue bottles.
[emoji111] Gotta mix of green, brown & blue bottles. Snagged em on sale via Amazon....so didn't sweat the white [emoji12]

Well....using em for my 1st batch of vino - but they aren't gonna work long term - susceptible to warm temps & increases in Bottle pressure [emoji15] Oh well...worth a shot [emoji111] Hand corker & #8s it is....

I have a gallon batch split between a .750 an two 1.5L bottles. All three corks are holding fine since apr/17/19. Of course I have no idea what brand or how old they are as they came with a bunch of used gear I bought.

Not to hijack the thread. What precautions do I need to take bottling still wine in the bottles with clamping corks. I picked up 8 1.5l bottles last night from my craft beer store.

Thanks

No precautions at all, any more than any other bottling method. If the wine is done, clear, and you aren't sweetening it, then it'll be fine.

If you are sweetening, or it's not done, or it's kind of fizzy, it still may be ok within certain amounts of CO2 production.

If corks blow, it's because the wine was not finished or it got contaminated.

I have five of these that came with a highly carbed soda in them. Most of the time I see people call them swing tops/ flip tops or grolsh style.

Latest posts

Back