Cork or ballon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von_lidl

Reaction score
So I just filled some bottles with my strawberry wine and I'm just wondering if I should put on a cork or let the balloons stay on?

The orange one is not wine it's mead.

Thanks!

I would suggest leaving the balloon on for a month after fermentation seems to have ended. If they continue to inflate at all keep it on, if not then cork them.
But transfer them to wine bottles before you cork them, people have had many problems with liqueur bottles breaking when corked.

Well actually the plastic can i used for it before had already stopped fermenting, so should I put on a cork then?

and sry I meant screw cork (don't now what it's called in english really). I don't have any regular corks made of wood. Does it work fine as well with a screw cork?

Well actually the plastic can i used for it before had already stopped fermenting, so should I put on a cork then?

and sry I meant screw cork (don't now what it's called in english really). I don't have any regular corks made of wood. Does it work fine as well with a screw cork?

as long as it has fully stopped you can, but it can be hard to tell when it is still slowly fermenting. I would recommend not corking until at lest one month after fermentation appears to have stopped. Leaving the balloons on longer will not do any harm.

as long as it has fully stopped you can, but it can be hard to tell when it is still slowly fermenting. I would recommend not corking until at lest one month after fermentation appears to have stopped. Leaving the balloons on longer will not do any harm.

Ok thanks! I'll let em stay for a month then! :D

I second the air-lock. My local homebrew store sells the three piece air-lock for $.95. Fill it with vodka and you're good to go.

Look for some sort of wine making supply store...

Something very simple I did....

Drill a hole through a synthetic cork
Stick the airlock into the cork
Stuff the cork into the bottle to seal it

Then, you can use that wine bottle as a primary fermenter for extra must.... When you rack it off -- you can use it to top up your main fermenter.

Thanks

what was the gravity?
wine doesn't look clear at all.

I guess with balloons it won't explode all over the place...

Back