COOPERS Starter Beer Kit - Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoTonTed

Reaction score
I've just bottled by first ever brew and now waiting the 3 weeks or so. I tasted a little while bottling at least it tasted like beer! Everything was in the box as advertised and was very easy to follow. Thanks to a few comments on this forum, I was helped by advice given to others.

I want to get my next brew underway as soon as the local supplier are trading again after Easter and want to try something different, but I don't want to diverge too much to begin. In fact maybe just the same sort of recipe where it arrives in a tin, I add the yeast and a starter (or whatever) and set it going in the FV (which has the Krausen Collar). The UK supplier has loads of different suppliers to chose from, but I'll stick to beer/ale.

What I want to do as soon as possible, rather than buy a load of new bottles (just yet, the plastic ones are a bit naff) is to maybe get a barrel for interim storage. So, I'd need to buy a barrel and siphon kit, presumably. I'll also need to buy steriliser but cant think of anything else. Do I need a paddle as well as the large spoon it came with?

I guess my options (after the 3 or so weeks is up) are to either start drinking it from the barrel, or bottle it. But, what about the carbonation process? Some English ales are flat, which I quite like, so is this even necessary? Do you put your carbonation tablets in the barrel as you do with the bottles? If I start to drink from the barrel, this affects the shelf life of the brew, maybe?

Would appreciate any comments from above; i realise I've asked quite a few questions! I've got John Palmer's How to Brew book on the way from eBay 2nd hand, as recommended on here.

Many thanks.

Back