Coopers Ginger Beer fermentation signs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flicks

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to home brewing and the forum so I hope this makes a bit of sense. I have just purchased a Coopers DIY Ginger Beer kit. I made up the brew using the instructions and the supplied syrup, Yeast and beer enhancer.

The yeast was added at around 30 degrees C, which was slightly higher than recommended but the instructions said to get the Yeast in as soon as possible even if the temperature was outside the recommended range, (21-27C).

Now the beer has only been on the go for 48 hours or so and I know these things take time but I'm wondering what I should be looking for with regards to fermentation signs.

There are large bubbles sitting on the top and lots of condensation on the lid. I am keeping the brew at a steady 23-24C using a heat belt to regulate the temperature. I am slightly concerned about whether I may have damaged the Yeast due to pitching it at too high a temperature.

Any advice as to what I should be looking for, (and advice in general really), would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

It sounds to me like it's starting to kick off, based on the bubbles you're seeing. As the yeast grow, fermentation will become more and more noticeable until it's entirely obvious. It will usually look like white/beige frothy foam coming on top and you'll likely see a lot of activity in the wort (soon to be beer) moving around. (Some yeasts are less active, though, and therefore you'll less activity or frothy mix on top.) With a relatively small pitch of yeast, like those that come in kits, it can take 36+ hours for fermentation to fully kick off. I've had some take 4-5 days, but they were mostly lagers before I knew I had to pitch crazy big.

30C is not enough to kill yeast, but it's certainly not optimal. It's better to wait to pitch lower then it is to pitch higher and let it come down. If you can, 20C would be a better temp to maintain fermentation at...but you also have to work with what you've got. Lower temps will usually greatly improve your beers overall where higher temps on (most) styles will result in a lot of ester production that affects the quality of the beer. Some styles this is desirable (e.g. saisons) so it's not a hard and fast rule, but usually lower is better.

Hope that helps!

Yes it does help and many thanks for a prompt and thorough reply.

It's good to know I haven't killed the yeast and it looks like things are starting to happen.

I have all the time in the world but I don't want to waste it on a certain failure

Will keep an eye on it and keep you updated.

Thanks again.

Just an update for you. My first effort was a failure. Other than the few bubbles I mentioned in my first post nothing happened at all. Got up this morning and it smelt a bit like Vinegar! Not to be defeated though I have sterilised the equipment and will try again, this time using sugar instead of the Beer enhancer supplied with the kit.

From what I can make of it there seems to be a possibility that it may have got infected although I've no idea how.

Ah well, here we go again.

Back