Espresso Oak Milk Stout Recipe - How to crowdsource a beer recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinythebadass

Reaction score
So this past Christmas Eve (last night), my cousin was mixing up these EXCELLENT aperitif cocktails. She called it an Espresso Martini with Oat Milk. It was delicious. Coffee flavored, caramel, sweet but not overly so-all in one drink. I had at least three of them. So i got to thinking - How could I brew this into a strong stout. I REALLY want to and I think aging will help. I've been all grain now for about three years (off and on) so I know my way around a mash tun but when it comes to using lactose and other adjuncts to flavor beers-I'm out of my depth and wondered if you guys could help. Here's her cocktail recipe. I'm hoping you can give me some tips on how to turn this into an excellent stout for next year. Thanks!

1.5 Kahlua
1.5 Vodka
1 Espresso
Top with oat milk frothed

She didn't give me metrics on those numbers but I'm assuming they're in fl/oz. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Here’s the thing. Vodka taste like nothing. Kailua tastes like sweet coffee. And espresso...tastes like espresso. So it’s not a huge stretch. Basically any solid sweet stout/milk stout recipe with coffee addedis going to get you there.

Vodka adds nothing, just alcohol, so we can swap it for a high ABV, Kahlua and espresso add both coffee, this can be swapped for some coffee notes in the grist from roasted malts but not too much and then adding espresso at secondary together with a high FG for the sweetness. For the oat milk, you can swap part of the base malt for malted oats, enough to have a good oatmeal flavour as a base. The amount goes to your boldness, but I think the more the better in this case as you want that silky mouthfeel and you want them to come through in the palate in such a strong and roasty beer, because it's such a big percentage what you need I think the malted route is better than the flaked raw route

Kahlua is a rum based liquor with sugar, coffee and vanilla in it. Add a tincture of vanilla beans steeped in rum and whole coffee beans steeped in the beer for a few days before packaging. There are a lot of recipes here with advice on flavoring with coffee and vanilla. Lactose would help boost final gravity and make it a bit sweeter. Don't be afraid of a final gravity in excess of 1.030 if it is an imperial stout an you want it sweet. The oat malt sounds like a winner in this. Look at the similar threads below the last post in this thread.

Back