Cooling lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeonbigbar

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've made my first lager, and it's still fermenting. It was lagging for 72 hrs. I put 1/4 of dry yeast package too get it going. The dry yeast helped it start fermenting. It's been a week in primary. I'm going to rack to a secondary. Now What temp do you recommend for secondary.
Thanks mike.

36 deg, for a few months. I just made a Yuengling lager clone and i plan on laggering it for about 3 months @ 36 deg F

Most of my lagers dont start for a few days mostly because its fermenting at a lower temperature so it takes a little while for the yeast to do their thang. Just be patient with the lager. It takes a lot of time, but in the end you will have a nice looking lager.

Ok, I should be able to get my spare fridge set to that temp. Thanks. Should I do that right after racking to secondary.

Hi guys, looking for advice on diacetyl rest. I've had my lager in primary for 10 days. At a temp of 60-62. You think it's been through a diacetyl rest at that temp? Should I increase the temp to 68 for 48hrs before chilling to 38F.,
Thanks mike.

I used wyeast 2112 California lager. It's recommended temps are 56 - 68 for fermenting. Ok I put it in the fridge to chill then.

If you're using a California lager yeast you don't need to lager in the mid-30s. At least this is what I have been told.

Oh really. Ok I'll look into this. What temp do you recommend. I think I'll email wyeast labs too.

Back