Cooler choice for MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
I would go to Home Depot and get a 10gallon rubbermaid Victory cooler for about $50.

there's already a write up in the DIY equipment section on all the parts needed for the 5 and 10gallon rubbermaid victory's.
I dunno if the igloo has the same diameter spigot hole.
Home depot often has the coolers year round since they get used for water on job sites.

malkore said:
I would go to Home Depot and get a 10gallon rubbermaid Victory cooler for about $50.

there's already a write up in the DIY equipment section on all the parts needed for the 5 and 10gallon rubbermaid victory's.
I dunno if the igloo has the same diameter spigot hole.
Home depot often has the coolers year round since they get used for water on job sites.

I went to home depot today and looked high and low for that cooler and I could not find it. Where do they keep them at?

The Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers are "seasonal" items at HD. They may not be in stock now. I think my HD had them in the garden department. You can get them from Ace Hardware online year round for $50 shipped to one of their stores.

raceskier said:
The Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers are "seasonal" items at HD. They may not be in stock now. I think my HD had them in the garden department. You can get them from Ace Hardware online year round for $50 shipped to one of their stores.

Wierd I went to Ace Hardware online and I don't see the 10 gallon coolers on their website either. I see 5 gallon rubbermaid but no 10 gallon.

there's two HD's here, one stocks them, the other doesn't even have a space on the shelf.
in both stores they are near the lumber, with other 'misc' construction items like caution tape, marking paint cans, and they do have both the 5gal and the 10gal. the other store stocks 5gal only.
I picked mine up about a month ago, I was in one week and nothing, went back on saturday and they apparently got a whole pallet of them...all stacked up like a pyramid.

I have heard that ACE hardware can order these too.

Get an "ice cube". It's cheaper, bigger, and it's got wheels! The way the bottom is designed, you will also get every last drop out of your MLT.

That's the one! I know Yuri has one, and several other people on the forum do too. It's a bit bigger than the 10 gal rubbermaid, so you can do really big beers and not worry as much about overfilling it. A braid should work great.....and you can always move up to a manifold if you want. :)

In hindsight I wish I had gotten the big wheels cooler. IN order to get all of the wort out of a round cooler, you need to add 3 inches of clear tubing between the spout and the braid, the weight of the brass splice holds the tip inside the braid right down at the bottom and the suction from the drain hose gets all but a few tablespoons out of the bottom, with the big wheels, it would be easier to get all of your wort out.

My wife had a Target gift card so I got the igloo extreme 5 gallon round. It is working well, but my thermometer does not reach the fluid level through the lid when I do partial mashes, so I have to set the thermometer in the mash and open the lid a few times to check temps which lets heat out.

Linc

When I was in Walmart last week in Hawaii I saw an Ice Cube Extreme. If I didn't already have an regular Ice Cube that I was using as a cooler/ luggage I would have bought it and taken it home.

did that guy just say that he was using a cooler as luggage in Hawaii? That may be one of the most interesting things that I have ever heard....

Back