Portable keg cooler for wedding reception

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I've been asked to brew a light ale and IPA for a family wedding reception in July. I'm a bit nervous and have only dispensed from a kegerator. This will be outside. I've been looking at different options and found these

https://www.amazon.com/Keg-Cooler-B...keg+cooler+bucket+ice+wrap,aps,82&sr=8-2&th=1
This would be outside in the evening so thinking that with the ice sheet, or ice in general, might work. The taps would just be pin lock cobra picnic taps (about 10-11ft of line to keep the foaming down) and I'd have a 5lb cylinder of c02, single regulator, and 2 way manifold for dispensing.

I'd like to keep the costs down since this is a one off. Normally I'd use growlers, but, this is an event with 40-50 people so will need kegs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS I'm not opposed to using regular ice instead of cooler sheets. We have a very cheap bulk ice machine that is extremely close so it wouldn't be out of the way at all.

Enter, the jockeybox. Here you have the perfect conditions for one. A lot of homebrew stores rent them, most sell them and as a last resort, they’re crazy easy to build.

Or you can always buy two cheap trash cans, fill them with ice and away you go. This will cause foaming, however, if the lines are relatively warm.

Enter, the jockeybox. Here you have the perfect conditions for one. A lot of homebrew stores rent them, most sell them and as a last resort, they’re crazy easy to build.

Or you can always buy two cheap trash cans, fill them with ice and away you go. This will cause foaming, however, if the lines are relatively warm.

I'm half tempted to invest in a counter pressure bottle filler and just send bottles with coolers we already have. I have a TON of bottles and caps already. May end up being cheaper than going the Jockey Box route

I did this for my brother’s wedding. Keep as much of the beer line as you can in the ice too, or you’ll still have foam problems.
FEA3DF88-B093-4A2D-BB2A-E845439B56A4.jpeg

That's actually a really good idea! Do you happen to remember how many lbs of ice was needed for that?
Sorry, I don’t. I do remember that it didn’t use nearly as much as I thought it would. 20-30 lbs seems to stick in my head… it was about 3 years ago. I also remember the tub sweating quite a bit, so we put it on a rug. If you have the ability, I’d also suggest crashing the beer in one keg (like a brite tank), then do a closed transfer into your serving kegs to reduce the amount of sediment that might get stirred up during transport and handling (if serving clear beer is desired).

Sorry, I don’t. I do remember that it didn’t use nearly as much as I thought it would. 20-30 lbs seems to stick in my head… it was about 3 years ago. I also remember the tub sweating quite a bit, so we put it on a rug. If you have the ability, I’d also suggest crashing the beer in one keg (like a brite tank), then do a closed transfer into your serving kegs to reduce the amount of sediment that might get stirred up during transport and handling (if serving clear beer is desired).

This will be an outside event so the trash cans would be on the ground. Definitely like the idea doing the closed transfer to another keg!

I’m experimenting with plastic growlers, for tailgating at the games. Glass, kegs, bottles are not allowed. A couple buddies said a cooler of ice and your growlers. The beer will be gone in about 3 hours.

If you setup for a self-serve and have that be via a picnic tap, don't underestimate the public's ability to not dispense properly. To this day, and even after 15 years, I still have to remind my wife that if she wants just a little bit off of a picnic tap, she still need to pull the trigger all the way.

If you setup for a self-serve and have that be via a picnic tap, don't underestimate the public's ability to not dispense properly. To this day, and even after 15 years, I still have to remind my wife that if she wants just a little bit off of a picnic tap, she still need to pull the trigger all the way.

Pluto guns then? You can still do a partial trigger pull and get foam, but it's more intuitive to fill with them. I prefer them to picnic taps.

How true. I have a rolling Igloo cooler with a tap that holds 3 gallon kegs + a paintball CO2 tank. The first time I took it to a tailgate, more than one self-serving drinker left the tap open when they were done pouring. I ended up buying a self-closing spring to put in the tap to "idiot-proof" it.

Pluto guns then? You can still do a partial trigger pull and get foam, but it's more intuitive to fill with them. I prefer them to picnic taps.
[/QUOTE]
Agree, Pluto guns are far more intuitive to use – I would never go back to using a picnic tap

Just got word I’ll need 3 kegs. Whew! No pressure! Loving the garbage can with ice idea :) Going to a local watering hole over the weekend to pick their brains as well!

I've actually spent way too much time thinking about this. If you get a big enough can, you could run one CO2 line in, use duotight to pieces to split off to the kegs, and then just run a picnic tap off each keg. And then you just cut a small hole in the lid to feed through the taps and have some stand to hold them. You could even put a small table top on top of the tash can (though that would make it harder to access if needed).

Last edited:
I've actually spent way too much time thinking about this. If you get a big enough can, you could run one CO2 line in, use duotight to pieces to split off to the kegs, and then just run a picnic tap off each keg. And then you just cut a small hole in the lid to feed through the taps and have some stand to hold them. You could even put a small table top on top of the tash can (though that would make it harder to access if needed).

Well this just moved up to a 3 keg event. We're going to go with @camonick setup. I like it because it's CHEAP! Found some el cheapo 32 gallon trash cans at Walmart. Going to order a regulator, new draft lines, cobra taps, manifold, lines, clamps, and pin locks. At the end of the day these would make great spares for the home brewery so it's a win win. Going off topic a bit here but I'm going to do the following

Kolsch (using 1007)
Belgian Wit (wlp400 or 3944)
Juicy Pale Ale (Opshaug)

The Kolsch will get brewed next month to it can lager for a bit before being bumped to a new keg. The wit is because it's meant to be hazy and saves an empty keg. Plus blue moon-ish ales always seem to be a crowd pleaser. Opshaug is so the juicy batch can ferment at room temp while the belgian is fermenting with temp control. The juicy is not going to be a hazy due to not wanting to risk oxidation. I have a feeling that won't push as well as the other two so there will most likely be left overs. Want to make sure it's palatable for the home brewery after the event :) Anywho the Opshaug juicy will be cold conditioned for two weeks with keg hops and gelatin. That'll get pushed over to a new keg a few days before also. That's the plan at least. May have WAY over thought this but trying to think somewhat like a production brewer lol

Just kidding bro. I prob wouldn't use a recycle bin or trash can at a wedding but that's just me. I guess you could always dress it up!

Welp since it's going to be a one off we're keeping it as cheap as possible lol It's all good though and I definitely appreciate the input! I've been known to be a bit judgy/pushy at times when it comes to brewing so figure if I give it then it's only fair to take it ;)

Wanted to report back. Ended up using 30 gallon metal trash cans and cobra taps. It took about 100lbs of ice per trash can. Anywho the guests raved about the beer! Blew through 1 kolsch keg and have some Belgian Wit and a Hazy IPA left. Anywho I hope this helps someone in the same predicament!

Did you do 1 CO2 tank with 3 lines running up and over the top into each trash can?
I sure did! I used a 5lb cylinder with a 4 way manifold. The 4 way was actually cheaper than the 3 way manifold so that's why I bit on it :) That and well it's a 4 way manifold that is now a perfect spare part replacement for the kegerator if it's ever needed!

Back