Cookie Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddpac87

Reaction score
Ok, so every Thanksgiving and Christmas, my mother (and her mother before her) makes oatmeal/peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies. They're delicious, and I was hoping to pay homage to them in beer form for the upcoming holidays (I'm pushing it on time, I know). It will only be my second time brewing (1st is this upcoming weekend) and it will be extract, so I'd like to keep it as simple as I can (ex - using PB and chocolate extracts for the flavoring).

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience brewing something similar or any combination of the 3 flavors in a stout and any recommendations that they might have. I was thinking I'd use a milk stout as the starting point to give me something both sweet and drinkable.

Thanks!

Well for the cookie flavor you just need to put a baking-sheet of your oats in the oven at 350*F until your kitchen smells like oatmeal cookies.

The chocolate can be achieves from adding chocolate to the secondary. Look for stuff that is low in fat... any oils can kill the head on your beer. You can also just use a decent amount of chocolate malt and medium-range crystal malt (40-60L)

The peanut butter is a different issue. You can't use real peanut butter... waaaaaaaaay too much oil. But powdered peanut butter does exist. If you're lucky a grocery store might have it, otherwise try Whole Foods or something like that.

Hope that helps :mug:

Back