Cooked caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
So this isn't a freak out, it's a geek out. A exercise in mental exploration haha.

I decided that the bottles I had conditioning were too cold (11c) but the fermenting fridge was full. Aka being impatient.

Came up with a plan to put a fan heater on supper low and face it down into the crate. Moving it from spot to spot and crate to crate every 20sec or so to warm it gently. It worked wonderfully untill I started making dinner....and forgot.

The caps on top were rather warm to the touch, not painful but very warm. The bottom of the bottles and most of the beer was still cold. So I'm not worried about killing the yeast off.

But what other problems could have been created here!? I assume increased oxidisation??? Dont know what else though?

Like i said im not too stressed out about the beer, just interested to see where the theory takes me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

For the most part yes, would say the temp of the bottle as a whole raised about 5c in total.

But the caps would have been at about 50c.

I thought cooking the caps would mess up the plastic seal inside? Didn't sound like a 100% safe idea to me? It would seem like some seals would loosen & leak?

I have a few friends that do this regularly.. No problems at all. Certainly not worth wasting oxygen absorbing caps on this tho.. :)

I used to do it when I used crown seals that had the cork liners. I actually still have a lot of them left.. but, stick with the more modern version now.

Yeah I had wondered if it would mess with the caps ability to seal. Guess il find out :) haha

Latest posts

Back