Help saving a saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a belgian saison a couple weeks ago, Safale BE-134 was the yeast of choice. Undershot the OG, ended up being 1.042, so I only used 1 packet of yeast assuming this would be sufficient. Aiming for 72°, but I am currently troubleshooting an issue with my fermentation temp controller readings, so the real temp might be a lot lower (~10°). Fermentation kicked off within several hours, and was vigorous, blow off bucket was going off rapid fire. Within about a week, FG is 1.000.

It's been crashed down to 34 for the past week, and planning to let it sit for another. Taking samples, the aroma is a bit off, slightly sulfur-y, and something else but I can't really find the right sensory note to describe it. When I've had yeast stress in the past, I got similar aromas, so I am assuming it's the same thing. I'm not too sure why it would have been stressed, unless my temp was actually way off. I did also forget to give it direct O2 at the beginning.

Flavor is spot on, tastes just like saison dupont, and after a few min, the aroma seems to air out and actually smells fine. I don't want to mess with it too much and drive off any good aromas, but I was just wondering - if I were to pump CO2 in from the bottom, with the blow off tube still connected and in a bucket of sani, does it seem possible to scrub the sulfur/ off aromas out? Is it too risky to blow out remaining good aromas? Should I just leave it be and see if it ages out?

Sulfur-y will age out. How long depends on things like temperature and how much oxygen and/or certain trace metals in the beer are around to react with it.

I've had sulfur with this yeast also. I kegged and chilled to drinking temperature fairly quickly, 10 to 12 days as I recall, and it didn't really go away, so now I let it age longer at a higher temperature.

Sounds like you crash cooled it fairly quickly after hitting terminal? Best to let it sit a bit longer to allow it to clean up. Some yeasts are a bit sulfury. I get a sulfur note in some of my saisons but it dissipates quickly. Are you going to keg w forced CO2, keg condition or bottle condition? Pitching yeast with a refermentation might help w the clean up?

Sounds like you crash cooled it fairly quickly after hitting terminal? Best to let it sit a bit longer to allow it to clean up. Some yeasts are a bit sulfury. I get a sulfur note in some of my saisons but it dissipates quickly. Are you going to keg w forced CO2, keg condition or bottle condition? Pitching yeast with a refermentation might help w the clean up?
Yeah it seemed quick, I was just following this recipe write up. I haven't used this yeast before, so I just followed the guide exactly. Recipe: L’Esprit de Blaugies Spelt Saison

Next time I'll let it sit a bit longer at a comfy temp. And I will be carbonating in the unitank with a stone, so there won't be any extra yeast added.

Latest posts

Back