Control Panel Enclosure Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also interested in this! I'm getting ready to assemble a BrewTroller system and just need something for a couple switches and ssr's, and to handle power.

Tough finding an enclosure that doesn't break the bank!

Thanks Vindee,
I'm a little confused: Are you saying don't use that other enclosure, or was there a specific thing on the hoffman site you were directing me to?
-BeantownD

I would think a good option would be a steel enclosure with a back panel. Better when dealing with hot SSR heat sinks and such.
I think you would be happier in the long run.

I used the one from home depot you were looking at...... if your heat sinks are getting that hot even with a simple cooling fan than you have another problem.....

If your really worried about it you could always mount the heat sinks sticking out the top as many did with metal boxes.. or mount a metal plate to the back of the enclosure but its not needed even dell uses plastic enclosures over there very hot CPU heat sinks on their PC's....
.. The plastic home depot box is an electrical enclosure....I also found it much easier to make my cutouts. And drill holes. I checked my enclosure for heat buildup and the heat sinks get warm but not what I would consider hot.

I repeat not to offend anyone but FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS ENCLOSURE I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES.... Despite any theories or opinions others may chime in with. That said everyone is entitled to an opinion.

IMG_20140102_190322.jpg

Thanks Augiedoggy,
Would you be able to show me/us the inside of the enclosure?
-BeantownD

Um.... I have to take a pic... I'll post one in a bit.... let me warn you now though that my wires aren't all neatly bundled like the others here.... I didn't see how it would effect performance and I made some changes so it looks like a rats nest inside.

If you're looking to keep the box water proof/resistant, then a backplane is a good idea. If not, it doesn't matter. I would mount the SSRs off of the plastic, though. If you're using small heat sinks for them, you could mount them on some standoff posts for better air circulation. Otherwise, many folks cut a hole in the top and mount them on a single, large heat sink. If you're looking to keep the box waterproof with that, just seal the mounting area with RTV.

If you're looking to keep the box water proof/resistant, then a backplane is a good idea. If not, it doesn't matter. I would mount the SSRs off of the plastic, though. If you're using small heat sinks for them, you could mount them on some standoff posts for better air circulation. Otherwise, many folks cut a hole in the top and mount them on a single, large heat sink. If you're looking to keep the box waterproof with that, just seal the mounting area with RTV.
Yeah well don't forget keeping it waterproof also means you pretty much have to mount the heat sinks outside since you would have not have a fan or air circulation inside. I was surprised at the steam produced and concerned about the fan blowing it through my panel but I will have my hood solution in place before my next brew so hopefully this won't be an issue going forward.

I used a smaller steel enclosure (8'x8'x6") for a control box I built, that is similar to what you're describing. A contactor and inline fuse are mounted directly to the case with no back panel. I would have liked to use a larger enclosure with a panel, but it would have wrecked my budget. Paid less than $15 for this one, but it looks like the price has gone up recently.
http://www.alightingstore.com/elect...e-screw-cover-enclosure-without-ko-17243.html

Here is a couple of pictures of the outside, front and back. These were taken before the SSR was mounted through a opening in the top to a large low profile heat sink on the outside of the box.

KvSDMXELHKhfRy7MES3WSMwGwSnclR6ary4UkBhVjyA=w552-h414-p-no

NucClDTUH4ZLV5fWdANSchlRJf8B43Q3EXU2WIk7h2Y=w552-h414-p-no

Back