Contamination or yeast pooh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flambix

Reaction score
Hello Everyone !

We did few batches before, but I’ve never seen this. Do you think it’s contaminated or is it just normal yeast reaction ?

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1309.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your answers ! :)
Flambix

Edit : I forgot to say that it doesn’t smell bad, just regular beer smells

Yeast rafts… totally normal. Carry on as usual.
A friendly tip. Keep your fermenter closed as much as possible. Hopefully your spatula was sanitized well too.
Open fermenters and foreign objects are a great invitation for contamination, not to mention negative effects of oxygen exposure.

Between pitching the yeast and packaging, just think happy thoughts. After your beer is packaged and ready to taste, then you can start the what if's and other things if it tastes bad.

Infection is seldom toxic. If it got a good enough hold on things it will change the taste, usually for the bad, sometimes for the good.

Though I can easily go along with yeast rafts for your batch there. And your beer looks reasonably light colored and somewhat clean. Which is a good thing.

However, should it get darker and taste like cardboard or otherwise has no taste, it might be because you took the lid off and peeked.

Also remember it doesn't matter what's floating on top or on the bottom. It is the stuff in the middle you want to put in bottles or keg.

Thanks everyone for your answers ! I just opened when I was about to bottle it, and noticed this strange things. Just wanted to be sure it wasn’t a bad premonition ! :)
I will taste it next Saturday, hopefully it’s going to be a good one :)

Back