Constant Battle - Ethyl Acetate - Looking for suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto on getting a second (third, etc., if need be) tasting opinion of your beer. Don't tell them anything, let the tasting be as unbiased as possible. Just, "what do you think of this IPA?" Sometimes, once you taste an off-flavor you think it's always there. Confirmation bias. You acquire a perception, that perception is like a hammer and everything starts looking like a nail. I once had a bad diacetyl problem in a batch, so bad I poured it out. Several brews after that I could have sworn diacetyl was in those too, despite being told by others they didn't taste it.

Ditch the chlorine bleach. You just can't get the smell and taste of it out and minute traces of it can form off-flavor compounds in the beer. Starsan provides excellent sanitation if the gear is clean first.

Why are you using oxyclean on brew day? You said you clean everything after you brew right? Just use starsan on brew day. No need to clean what’s already clean. Probably not going to help with the flavor but is an unnecessary step.

I’d hone in on ferm temps. What do you use for a ferm chamber. What do you use as a temp controller? What do you use for a temp probe? When was the last time you calibrated, or at least verified, the accuracy of the temp probe?
Hi!!

You read the OP right - I only do oxyclean on stuff after its used before putting it in to storage. I was just wondering if I should be cleaning again before immediately using or if just tossing everything into star san was ok (like Im doing now)

I use a mini fridge with an inkbird controller. Temps are bang on for the probe. If i chill my wort to 66 and pitch yeast then put it in the chamber the probe reads 66 right away.

Maybe I can try holding at 64F for US05. One response brought up using different temps per yeast which makes sense but I assumed going 66 across the board would be just fine (ramping up saisons after a few days)

Lose the bleach entirely. There's no upside.

Know how I clean my bottles? Triple-rinse when first emptied, then I put 'em in the dishwasher. They're sanitized with Star-San just prior to bottling.

View attachment 599278
I dont have a dishwasher and unfortunately my sinks dont have the screw end for bottle washers. The pressure blasts the thing off the sink reaallll dramatically. So I give my bottles big rinses. Then the oxyclean then bleach. Ill drop the bleach!

I second (or third, or whatever) the suggestion that you use distilled or RO water and then salt to taste w/ Bru'n Water.
That should probably be the first thing i try hey. There's a pharmacy near by that sells distilled in bigger bottles. I'll actually do that tomorrow when i brew. Thanks.

Will using distilled water mean less reason to use campden tablets? Or the benefit of the tablets makes them always good to use regardless?

Ditch the chlorine bleach. You just can't get the smell and taste of it out and minute traces of it can form off-flavor compounds in the beer

I don't normally use bleach, but once I bleach soaked my bottles (four cases) cleaning up after an infection. I rinsed with hot tap water using a jet bottle washer, and never got any chlorophenol taste. So it seems to me you can rinse the bleach out of glass bottles successfully. If I'm wrong, I'll have a problem because I'm now in the process of giving them another bleach soak as a preventive measure.

Isoamyl Acetate and Ethyl Acetate does not taste the same. TS says that he has excessive amounts of Ethyl Acetate, it might be wrong but that's what we have. Nail Polish-y. Lacto sours the beer and doesn't get nail-polish-y. I've had a few lacto infections which were "good", but excessive ethyl acetate is horrible. It's either a strange infection, or something in the water/cleaning agent, which causes it, is still my guess. Lacto infection is often not that bad, other than it get's sour over time.

Just bottled a batch and had the same nail polish like chemical scent/taste. So that's before bottling. Less worried about oxidation during bottling nowhere and looking more at my sanitation, temp probe accuracy (will test it this week) and my water. Will continue following up.

I also detected a faint ethyl acetate on my last batch. I used US-05 and the yeast had started to clear, but I didn’t want to wait too long because it’s an IIPA and I don’t want the hops to fade. Immediately after bottling the yeast dropped clear within 24 hours. I had to move the bottles around to allow the sediment to settle off the ledges in my redhook bottles. I put my tester bottle in the fridge after two weeks of conditioning and there was some chill haze. I drank it before the haze dropped and it was excellent. I was on the lookout for ethyl acetate and didn’t detect it at all. In fact the beer was delicious and my wife thought so too. I keep talking about my next brew and she says that she keeps thinking about this brew. I’ll chill the remaining eighteen bottles next week and after the chill haze drops in about 4 days, the beer will be fair game. Anyway, maybe try packaging the beer and give it some time. Ethyl acetate is one of those flavors that is created by yeast and also one that perhaps people are talking about the yeast “cleaning up”. You may be particularly sensitive to this flavor, so giving the yeast the proper time to clean up or picking a yeast that produces less of this may help you.

Update for all you rad people.

I took a sample of a pale ale fermented with US05 last night that I brewed 8 days ago - picked up minute traces of the off flavor again. I immediately went to test my probe since it's on my to-try list we've created.

I found my probe is accurate when holding it next to my digital thermometer or taping both to the side of a heated up mason jar of water, within 1F at least. But then I stuck my digital in to the water and left my probe against the glass; I had a 5F difference. I tested this multiple times with the same result.

I asked when I first built my chamber if I should set my controller to a lower setting knowing that the carboys internal heat would be 5-8F warmer. The general response I got was the probe should be accurate enough taped to the side.

What are you thoughts on this and do you think this small trace of solvent could be coming from US05 fermenting at a true temp of 70-72F instead of the 66 I thought I was at?

I got my campden tablets today so I'll give them a try this weekend and set my controller to 61F during the active fermentation?

Is this an off flavor in otherwise drinkable beer, or so bad they are dumpers?

I had a very tough infection that persisted for a while, and was only cured after full take down of every valve, baking at 400F what I could, long boil on the rest, and replacement of all process tubing.

What I had was not an off flavor however, it tasted practically toxic, and ruined my pallet for a couple days if I did taste.

Update for all you rad people.

I took a sample of a pale ale fermented with US05 last night that I brewed 8 days ago - picked up minute traces of the off flavor again. I immediately went to test my probe since it's on my to-try list we've created.

I found my probe is accurate when holding it next to my digital thermometer or taping both to the side of a heated up mason jar of water, within 1F at least. But then I stuck my digital in to the water and left my probe against the glass; I had a 5F difference. I tested this multiple times with the same result.

I asked when I first built my chamber if I should set my controller to a lower setting knowing that the carboys internal heat would be 5-8F warmer. The general response I got was the probe should be accurate enough taped to the side.

What are you thoughts on this and do you think this small trace of solvent could be coming from US05 fermenting at a true temp of 70-72F instead of the 66 I thought I was at?

I got my campden tablets today so I'll give them a try this weekend and set my controller to 61F during the active fermentation?

Us-05 does not throw off a lot of ehtyl acetate. I use it quite often and sometime when I'm in a need for a beer quickly I start at 16C and ramp it with 0.25C pr hour meaning I'm at 28C in 48 hours. But I do overpitch.

Us-05 does not throw off a lot of ehtyl acetate. I use it quite often and sometime when I'm in a need for a beer quickly I start at 16C and ramp it with 0.25C pr hour meaning I'm at 28C in 48 hours. But I do overpitch.
But it can produce small traces? Because I'm pitching at 20c ish and then its going straight to 22F in the chamber when I think it's lower. Maybe hitting the wort at 20c isn't helping. Keep in mind I'm not expert on off flavors, I wonder if I'm perceiving a ripe banana as solventy (US-05 fermenting warmer) since the one time I used US-04 I didn't taste it... and with Belle Saison I get a similar off flavor which could be over ripe banana again, esters? Maybe I just @$%& hate banana esters?

But I also have some weight still leaning on the water and look forward to how the campden tablets help / distilled water.

Regarding other reply; for the off flavor its totally drinkable, just hanging out in the background laughing at me all the time.

Last edited:
I am not a "Beer Troll"... this is like beer detective work.. how clean is your fermentation chamber? Put mason jar with water lid off and taste what happens..

But it can produce small traces? Because I'm pitching at 20c ish and then its going straight to 22F in the chamber when I think it's lower. Maybe hitting the wort at 20c isn't helping. Keep in mind I'm not expert on off flavors, I wonder if I'm perceiving a ripe banana as solventy (US-05 fermenting warmer) since the one time I used US-04 I didn't taste it... and with Belle Saison I get a similar off flavor which could be over ripe banana again, esters? Maybe I just @$%& hate banana esters?

But I also have some weight still leaning on the water and look forward to how the campden tablets help / distilled water.

Regarding other reply; for the off flavor its totally drinkable, just hanging out in the background laughing at me all the time.

Us-05 does not throw off noticable isoamyl acetate either, to my palate at least. I do a lot of hefes and feel that I can pick out one banana out of a billion other things in beer. I do also get it from "clean" norwegian lagers, when other's cant, but not from us-05.

I am not a "Beer Troll"... this is like beer detective work.. how clean is your fermentation chamber? Put mason jar with water lid off and taste what happens..
Hey!! Pretty clean I'd say. Here are some picks.
20181201_180958.jpeg
20181201_180905.jpeg

I was just thinking out side of the keg. Not trying to disrespect your cleaning.just saying something out side the norm., Your the one chasing a problem .... just put some water in there and taste it.just saying that it could be .

The probe should be insulated against the ambient air. Tape a thick sponge over the probe, or some foam, or other kind of padding.

20181129_160035.jpg

I was just thinking out side of the keg. Not trying to disrespect your cleaning.just saying something out side the norm., Your the one chasing a problem .... just put some water in there and taste it.just saying that it could be .
I'll run some water through my carbon filter to taste (maybe it's casing or hosing needs a cleaning) and I'll also stick a glass of water in there to taste tomorrow. Thanks!

I use bubblewrap folded a few times and velcro to hold it tight to the fermenter. I'm going to actually take my digital thermometer and stick it in during high krausen to see if my probe's sensitivity is off since it was 5F off when testing the heated water. Definitely going to start fermenting cooler after.

I just ran some tap water through my carbon filter and it tasted.. like tap water... We have Brita filtered water in the fridge and compared the two side by side and my filter apparently doesn't do much [emoji35]

So this changes the thread to "what does chlorine treated water taste like in brewing?"

Guess I shouldn't have blindly believed it was working. I'll grab a new carbon filter and also try campden tablets next brewday. I have high hopes for this. Will report back next weekend.

Thanks everyone.

I just ran some tap water through my carbon filter and it tasted.. like tap water... We have Brita filtered water in the fridge and compared the two side by side and my filter apparently doesn't do much [emoji35]

So this changes the thread to "what does chlorine treated water taste like in brewing?"

Guess I shouldn't have blindly believed it was working. I'll grab a new carbon filter and also try campden tablets next brewday. I have high hopes for this. Will report back next weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Carbon filters are highly highly dependant on flow rate

I would recommend skipping the inconvenience and expense altogether and just using campden

Buy the powder not the tablets, you only need about 0.3g to treat all of your mash water (assuming you're doing 5 gallon batches). And you'll need an accurate scale to measure it out with.

Or if you already bought the tablets you can estimate 1/4 of a tablet to treat all your mash water. And make sure you grind it up... It doesn't dissolve well

Carbon filters are highly highly dependant on flow rate

I would recommend skipping the inconvenience and expense altogether and just using campden

Buy the powder not the tablets, you only need about 0.3g to treat all of your mash water (assuming you're doing 5 gallon batches). And you'll need an accurate scale to measure it out with.

Or if you already bought the tablets you can estimate 1/4 of a tablet to treat all your mash water. And make sure you grind it up... It doesn't dissolve well
I already grabbed the tablets but was planning on grinding them up since Ill be using them for 1 gallon batches. I think the maths worked out to 0.03 grams (I rounded up from 0.022) per gallon.

Any negative effects of too much in the water?

I already grabbed the tablets but was planning on grinding them up since Ill be using them for 1 gallon batches. I think the maths worked out to 0.03 grams (I rounded up from 0.022) per gallon.

Any negative effects of too much in the water?

Yes it can slow yeast growth if you seriously overdose. But I think you'd be fine up to .05 grams per gallon without any serious effects.

as said before its better to have someone critique your beer, to get honest opinions always say someone gave you the beer to try it out.

if they taste what your are tasting, then look at your system. if not, your nuts. lol

as said before its better to have someone critique your beer, to get honest opinions always say someone gave you the beer to try it out.

if they taste what your are tasting, then look at your system. if not, your nuts. lol
I've had my girlfriend and a close friend try a bottle but my mistake was telling them what to search for. Next batch I brew with the campden tablets Ill definitely be having new people try without giving them any hints [emoji28] I would like to confirm my sanity as well.

Ethyl acetate is not going to diminish as it is pretty much a metabolic dead end. If it's not too bad and the style is suitable try adding some cherries to it as ethyl acetate will enhance the cherry flavor.

I had a shift in my sense of smell because of an allergy. I responded to this thread earlier thinking that I had detected ethyl acetate, but as my sense of smell recovers, I think that what I was detecting was just regular ethanol, because I noticed the same “flavor” in a Miller Lite, which I’m sure those guys minimize any off flavors like that.

I had a shift in my sense of smell because of an allergy. I responded to this thread earlier thinking that I had detected ethyl acetate, but as my sense of smell recovers, I think that what I was detecting was just regular ethanol, because I noticed the same “flavor” in a Miller Lite, which I’m sure those guys minimize any off flavors like that.
This goes along with my background thought "or am I just losing mind?" That's where my samplers will have to save me [emoji847]

Beer Troll asking crazy questions..have you shone a light on both sides of the fermentation vessel to check on cracks.insde to out side ..

Just bottled a batch and had the same nail polish like chemical scent/taste. So that's before bottling. Less worried about oxidation during bottling nowhere and looking more at my sanitation, temp probe accuracy (will test it this week) and my water. Will continue following up.
Beer Troll asking crazy questions.. when batch is done you tasted it and it was the same chemicals flavor?Why are you doing the next step to bottle? How is it going to be any different carb up?if I taste anything else but beer on the first pull..i water the plants with it..sorry

Beer Troll crazy questions. Have you fermented out of the fridge?..Do you have different vessels to ferment in? And do they also have same taste?

Bring some of your beers to a homebrew club and store . I would like to ask crazy questions did you make root beer in any of the brewing stuff?.. When I go to the chilling stage I will use a plate chiller . I save the hotside water in buckets for cleaning up.. I first rinse down every thing .Dump in the yard.then with the water i will oxy pump for 15m .Then rinse.Then starsan..then rinse... Brew day I will starsan pump into vessels and hoses and pumps . I will also backwash one pump..then rinse off on brew on.

When is the first time that you taste or smell it.? First time you pull sample for reading og? When you pull sample for fg? Or when you are done and transfer to the bottles? The first time I taste my Brew is when I am transferring, cuz i NEVER take readings... mayb.e it's the brew kettle. Maybe it's the paddle .do you use the kettle for other things? I did the cold sink bath for years no problems and still have.. I do not Mill grains in the same room . outside...my carboys sit in the basement .no n near the kitchen or brewing areas...stay strong and Brew on

When is the first time that you taste or smell it.? First time you pull sample for reading og? When you pull sample for fg? Or when you are done and transfer to the bottles? The first time I taste my Brew is when I am transferring, cuz i NEVER take readings... mayb.e it's the brew kettle. Maybe it's the paddle .do you use the kettle for other things? I did the cold sink bath for years no problems and still have.. I do not Mill grains in the same room . outside...my carboys sit in the basement .no n near the kitchen or brewing areas...stay strong and Brew on
Thanks!
-I haven't tasted the wort pre fermentation so it could very well be there if it's because of my water (chlorine) I always tasted it when taking FG reading. Recently I started dumping the batches instead of bottling now that I know it isn't disappearing in time .
-I only use the equipment for brewing and store it in a closet far from the kitchen.
-I will think about milling my grain in a different room as this is a good idea in general even if it's not causing this off flavor.

I will report back after brewing this weekend and taking a taste after primary fermentation dies down [emoji106]

So it's brewday and I filled up my kettle last night with 2 gal of tap water and 0.1 grams of campden. This morning reduced my water volume to the appropriate starting amount. Filled my starsan tub and also decided to put some campden in there.

Last edited:
Back