Consistently leaking keg setup... out of ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswalker

Reaction score
I'm consistently burning through Co2 tanks like they're free. Something is leaking somewhere and I can't find it.

I have:
Replaced all lines and connectors.
Replaced 2 regulators.
Replaced all of the O-rings and pop-it's on my kegs.

Yeah, I've basically purchased two whole kegging systems. I'm pretty detail oriented, and have no problems in any other systems or methods. I keg it up and apply pressure. Leak test with bubbly to find leaks. Everything looks good, I'll check on it everyday. After a few days things are fine. 2 weeks or so go by, I'll go to pour and find the tank is empty and the keg is without gas. I'm astounded and completely lost in where this leak is happening.

Any ideas or advice?

Teflon tape (gas) on all threaded connections?
Keg lube on o-rings?

When I had a leak it was on the manifold (my fault).

have you tried immersing all your line connections in water? I had an issue a while back and I couldn't find the leak. Finally found it on a part of my regulator (piece connecting part of a double-regulator) by putting snoop all over the setup.

Snoop is a commercial leak finder made my swagelok, I have no idea how much it costs I snagged it from work. It's like soapy water but the bubbles stick around a LOT longer so it's easier to see leaks.

Are you sure your kegs themselves aren't the culprit? Do you put keg lube on the big o-ring? I do this every time and never have keg leaks, my buddy doesn't ever do keg lube and often has leaks.

Wrap duct tape around the chime (rubber handle bit) of a known leaking keg. This creates a temporary bowl. Fill bowl with water. If the keg is leaking you will see where from.

If not, connect gas. Check again.

Beyond that it could be regulator or connection to CO2 tank.

Any ideas or advice?

Take a sequential approach and eliminate sources of leak as you go.

1. Connect reg to CO2 tank. Fully open tank and see if leak happens.

If leak address, if no leak proceed to step 2

2: Open valve to allow gas to QD (no manifold, include manifold in next step)

If leak address, if no leak proceed to step 3

3: Connect QD to keg readied and sealed

If leak address, if no leak proceed to step 4 etc

Give each step adequate time + Starsan over connections to assess leak yes or no.

Your setup is linear, assess it in the same linear manner and you'll rapidy exclude potential sources of leaks. Kegs are the most likely source.

if you are using corny kegs I have had to put a washer under the feet for extra pressure. Also I was having a similar problem and I started boiling the lids and o-rings before assembling them and it corrected the problem. I diagnosed mine by removing all the kegs and weighing the tank, I then connected the tank to my manifold (still no kegs attached) and let it sit there a week and re-weighted the tank. Then I hooked up one keg at a time and let it sit a week, then weight. I figured out which keg it was and was able to work on that one. Might help figure out what is causing the leak for you. Good luck, form experience I know how frustrating it can be!

Keg lube check. Never heard of snoop, but a thick soapy concentrate in a spray bottle always seemed to work. I haven't immersed anything in water as that's doesn't seam like a good idea for a regulator and the soapy water does a decent job, or so I think... maybe the leak could be in the lines, even though I've replaced them. I could ttry submersing them.

It seems very odd to me that you checked with a bubbly solution and still can't find it. What solution are you using?

I've used Dawn before with water and it works but not near as well as Mr. Bubble. Mr. Bubble will make a big bubble for a small leak and Dawn will make many small bubbles. With the Dawn, I get small bubbles just by squirting it out too so it makes it difficult to find the leak.

I've also heard that a tank can leak. Put the tank or the top with the valve in a big tub to make sure that isn't leaking.

The info here is really good. Some of it new to me... duct tape bowl? Some of it standard trouble shooting steps that can help out newcomer akin to the experienced . It's a little frustrating that finding something so simple can completely have me at wits end. And it seems asinine that I can't solve this even after swapping out nearly everything in the system. I think it may have to do with the new O-rings, but why does it not show up till long after monitoring...

The info here is really good. Some of it new to me... duct tape bowl? Some of it standard trouble shooting steps that can help out newcomer akin to the experienced . It's a little frustrating that finding something so simple can completely have me at wits end. And it seems asinine that I can't solve this even after swapping out nearly everything in the system. I think it may have to do with the new O-rings, but why does it not show up till long after monitoring...

I had a couple of very slow leaks that I didn't get solved. Heck it took well over a month before the tank drained. The only way I solved it was to use Mr. Bubble.

What O-rings are you referring to? The post o-rings?

Have you checked that you have the washer between your regulator and CO2 tank? They often stick to the regulator when you disconnect the old tank. Then fall off when you set/drop the regulator down.

Do you monitor it when force carbing at higher pressure then lower to serving pressure?

Check or make sure you have a fiber washer between the tank and regulator. Be sure to use a new one every time since they crush into shape. Even if the regulator has what looks to be an o-ring pressed into the mating surface. They claim that you don't need one if it has that rubber o-ring, but you do.

Also, when I was chasing a leak on my system, I ended up having to submerge my whole regulator manifold to find that my leak was coming from the weep hole on the back of one of the regulators. Good luck finding the problem, it can be very frustrating.

Check or make sure you have a fiber washer between the tank and regulator. Be sure to use a new one every time since they crush into shape. Even if the regulator has what looks to be an o-ring pressed into the mating surface. They claim that you don't need one if it has that rubber o-ring, but you do.

Also, when I was chasing a leak on my system, I ended up having to submerge my whole regulator manifold to find that my leak was coming from the weep hole on the back of one of the regulators. Good luck finding the problem, it can be very frustrating.

Fiber washer? To my knowledge I only have an oring that has been crushed to shape. At least 1/2 dozen keg swaps and multiple times I used the regulator to take my 3 gallon kegs to places. No leaks.

My Taprite reg has a built in washer and it appears to be all I need.

To find my last sneaky leak I had to submerge my manifold and all attached gas posts to find the bubbles. It made finding even a small leak very easy. (The problem was a loose hose clamp on a gas post.)

I wouldn't hesitate to submerge an entire keg if I had to. It might not be the easiest and first thing to try, but it works.

I've also had a problem with a post that leaked only if it was rotated into a narrow range of its motion. Since @cswalker has the problem sneak up on him, it might be something like that... a fitting that is only leaking when it gets jiggled into a bad position. Use bubbles, or submerge parts, and wiggle everything.

Take a sequential approach and eliminate sources of leak as you go.

1. Connect reg to CO2 tank. Fully open tank and see if leak happens.

If leak address, if no leak proceed to step 2

2: Open valve to allow gas to QD (no manifold, include manifold in next step)

If leak address, if no leak proceed to step 3

3: Connect QD to keg readied and sealed

If leak address, if no leak proceed to step 4 etc

Give each step adequate time + Starsan over connections to assess leak yes or no.

Your setup is linear, assess it in the same linear manner and you'll rapidy exclude potential sources of leaks. Kegs are the most likely source.

Gavin has a good approach here. The thing I do differently is in addition to the steps here, after you put pressure to the system, turn off the gas and note the pressure on the regulator. Let it sit an hour or overnight. If no pressure loss, move to the next piece, pressurize then turn off the gas and wait. After I clean a keg, I put the gauge in the picture on the keg and watch the pressure for a day or three. No drop equals no leaks. Keep at it.

View attachment 1481773517659.jpg

Does this happen on multiple different kegs?

If so, you can probably eliminate it being anything to do with the keg seals. Is it the same tank every time? Or do you swap tanks?

Back