Conical fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
Making my own drain. My initial opening is 2". Can i go right down ti 1/2" or will i have clogging issues?

I went with 2" dump port for the trub and 1/2" for the racking port, on a ~17gal conical. After a couple of weeks the the stuff at the bottom can solidify and i'm glad i went with 2". Sometimes the 1/2" racking port takes several seconds to clear but it's been good to me so far. On the dump port i put on a butterfly valve from ebay (which would have more resistance/obstruction than a ball valve), but the moving valve helps break up the mess...

I have a 30 gallon with a 3/4 inch dump at the bottom, occasionally it takes a minute to begin flowing, but I've never had it clog up entirely. I think you'd be okay going to 1/2 inch.

I have a 22 gallon with 1.5" for both ports. The dump valve, butterfly has gotten stuck before. I dump yeast more often now to not have that problem.

Dr Dirt, actually i am at 3/4" too. Do you have yours just vertical, at 45 or 90 degrees?

Mine's mounted vertically (the fermenter sits in the basement bathroom, directly above a drain). The racking port is at about 45 degrees but I generally try to dump or collect before the trub reaches that high up the cone. I think you'd be just fine with vertical-mounted 3/4 inch dump port. Worst case scenario, you can open it and stick something up there (sanitized) to break up the gunk get the flow started.
I usually dump the trub after 2-3 days, collect yeast on day 5 and again on day 7 or 8.

How far from bottom of my cone base should i put the racking port? How far above trub should the cane be? I have a 35 gallon conical.

Think i will have a prob w/a 45 degree 1 1/2 down to a 1" spout?

Thats the trub dump at the end i was referring to. See pic.

image-2237493921.jpg

Your setup is very close to what I have, same stand, it appears.

My racking port is about 6-8 inches up from the base of the cone, slightly below the 1-gallon line (at about the 3/4 gallon area). I don't bother with a racking cane, never saw the need for one when the trub is usually only at about the half gallon line when I keg. Honestly, I'd recommend skipping out on the cane; at the scale we're brewing at, you don't necessarily need to chase that last 12 ounces of beer. I've brewed everything from DIPAs to hefes and lagers in this setup - and with occasional draining of trub (or yeast collection) you shouldn't build up enough to reach the racking port

Your setup looks good, I wouldn't worry about clogging as long as you drain the trub occasionally. What are you planning to hook up to that last 1" line after the elbow? If you're going to hook up a hose, consider leaving out the 90 elbow and just reducing it vertically. That way, in the worst case clogging scenario, you can push a copper tube or something up there to break up the clog.

Also, I've found that the racking port is a bit lower than the top of the keg. At kegging time that can be a pita. I've raised my fermenter stand up a few inches by putting bricks under the corners before I fill it and pitch yeast. This makes it much easier to keg up the beer later.

I was planning to put a small bucket at the end for Truba/yeast collection. I may try it vertically first though. How much do you make at a time & how far up does your trub collect?

I usually do 20 or 25 gallon batches. With the dump/collect/dump schedule I suggested above I've never had the trub collect much higher than about a half gallon (about 4-5 inches up the cone). I've neglected to dump the trub on several occasions and it might get up close to the racking port, but it's never made it all the way. Besides, if you forget to dump/collect and the trub gets too high you can always dump it a few days before kegging and let things re-settle.

I make a lot of beer in the 1.050 - 1.070 O.G. range and use a lot of Nottingham, SO-5 and Belgian wit yeast, as well as lagers in the winter. I generally collect into a 1-quart mason jar if I'm going to save the yeast.

I've never used CO2 to transfer, always used gravity feed. With a 1/2 inch (I think) hose it takes maybe 30 -60 seconds to fill a keg with gravity feed.

Here's a photo of my setup. For reference, the crossmember on the stand is just above the 1 gallon line.

DSC04400.JPG

Nice set up. I see you have all your parts for the dump are threaded? Hiw did you find the part to reduce down from the 2" opening directly to what appears to be your 3/4" valve & a plastic barb on the end?

My opening is female & need a male threads. Si hard to find these parts!

I cant remember for sure, but I think I got all the additional parts from Ace hardware locally. The 2" male to 3/4 inch female reducer shouldn't be too hard to find. I added the pipe clamp around the spout for a little extra security but I'm not sure it's needed.

Scratch that. The reducer is 2" female to 3/4 inch female. I added a barb in between that and the valve.

Back