Confused... racking bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YnkBlu

Reaction score
My mort is done and it is in the primary bucket. Do I put it into the secondary bucket, add sugar, mix, then immediately bottle?

First timer here.

Nice to meet you Mort. (I think you meant Wort).

Sanitize your bottling bucket. Boil corn sugar and a cup of water for 15 minutes. Add that to the bottling bucket and then siphon the beer on top of the sugar solution. It will mix up as you siphon in. Don't stir it or splash it, it will mix in fine. Then bottle immediately.

First, it is wort

how long was your wort in the primary? Did you take a gravity reading?

If you are ready to bottle, dissolve priming sugar in boiling water, rack your beer to a bottling bucket, an then bottle.

lol... I said mort... yes I meant wort. How much water should I use to dissolve sugar?

Can I use a hydrometer in a regular glass or a tall pilsner glass? What should it read?

It was in the primary for almost 8 days. No more bubbles coming out of the air lock for a couple days now.

That's pretty much it. A secondary is when the beer spends time in the 2nd vessel to age, add fruit or dry hop. A bottling bucket isn't a secondary, it's purpose is to add priming sugar and get the beer racked off the trub, yeast cake or other additives to aid in clarity before bottling.

lol... I said mort... yes I meant wort. How much water should I use to dissolve sugar?

Can I use a hydrometer in a regular glass or a tall pilsner glass? What should it read?

You can use a cup or two- whatever it takes to dissolve and boil your sugar.

A regular glass probably isn't tall enough- you need the hydrometer to float so you can read it. You can use the plastic cylinder the hydrometer came in, just be careful that it doesn't fall over.

Once you pitch the yeast in wort, it's beer. So, it's wort when you boil it and make it. But when you add the yeast, it's beer!

Ok. So if I am reading this correctly. I take my reading, if it is done I move it to the secondary bucket and prime and let it sit in that bucket for an extended period of time?

Once your primary fermentation is complete (steady hydrometer reading for 3 days) you can either rack to secondary and leave it for another couple weeks or leave it in the primary for another couple weeks (leaving it in the primary is the often preferred method on here). This gives the yeast time to clean up and condition the beer.

Once this is done (3~ weeks after pitching the yeast) you rack to the bottling bucket where the priming sugar/water mix is and immediately bottle. Don't leave it in the bottling bucket or else the CO2 will dissolve out instead of carbonating!

Let it sit in the primary for at least 3 weeks, dont secondary....boil 3/4 water to about 4 oz priming sugar depending on your recipe (theres tons of priming sugar calculators out there) put that into the bottom of your bottling bucking then rack your primary into the bucket, bottle after. Sanitize everything that touches the beer..

So if the beer is done, I put in the sugar/water mix and put the cap back on and let it sit in the bucket for another 3 weeks? I won't be bottling for another month?

do not add sugar until you are ready to bottle, when you ready to bottle add priming sugar then immediately bottle

Go buy a book on making beer. I have been brewing for some time now and this thread even has me confused. Buy a book or read the instructions....

Leave in primary 1-2 more weeks
Add sugar solution to bottling bucket
Rack beer onto sugar solution
Bottle

Go buy a book on making beer. I have been brewing for some time now and this thread even has me confused. Buy a book or read the instructions....

+1
I'm a noob but well read. Get you some Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" or John Palmer's "How to Brew" (my preferred reference). Or both! It'll clear up a lot (and then some)

I was waiting for the "sike" or the "i can't believe you guys kept responding".... But just in case it was for real, a book is a must!

Back