Conditioning/Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSmetalcraft

Reaction score
I brewed up a Stout. It has been in a keg, dry hopped, chilled, carbonated, and on tap for a week. Not one of those beers I will consume very fast so yesterday I bottled up a case to keep for the future and make room for another keg that will be more sessionable.

When it comes to aging or conditioning a beer further what are the pros and cons of leaving chilled or storing in a dark cool spot. I have basement and so far this summer has stayed below 67*. Either way have has some in both spots for my own research.

While I am typing is there any research on dry hopping a keg carbonated vs uncarbonated? Is it best to just keep the 5lbs on the keg just to keep sealed or would it make any difference if it was on 10-12lbs pressure and be somewhat carbonated at dry hop time. Most time I have been using the 5lbs for conditioning and then bump up after dry hop so by the time the hops have infused I am also carbonated ready to be chilled.

You can age/condition beers (ales, mostly) pretty much at any temp under 70-75F. Temps on the warmer end speed up that process, while cooler temps slow it down. For most beers "cellar temps" are preferred for longer time storage, say past 4-6 weeks.
Don't forget, because there are so many different styles (or style groups), there are almost as many different or preferential storing conditions. For example, Barleywines, IPAs, and Cream Ales have very different aging and storage requirements.

On the other side, after a well-timed Diacetyl rest, Lagers are best stored/lagered at near freezing temps for 2-6 weeks, which also helps clearing them, with diminishing returns for longer periods. Once lagered, cooler temps are preferred for longer storage times.

In your hoppy Stout, over time you will lose some of the up front hoppiness (hop flavor and aroma) that characterized the younger beer, while gaining more complexity in the roasty flavors and aromas. There's going to be a point where both are in optimal balance. Keep good, informative notes!

For example, I brewed an Imperial Pumpkin Ale that really became exquisite after a year in the keg, carbonated and stored in my utility room at 65-75F over the seasons. I pulled small samples every few months with a clamp-on faucet to check on progress. Although I was careful and already very lean on using spices, it still had a bit too much spice, IMO. That all aged out beautifully.
I love spicy food, Indian cooking and such, but in that beer the balance didn't arrive until that year had passed.

If your carbonated keg seals well at 5 psi, it's fine to leave it at that, disconnected from gas.

Back